Squeaking Steering Wheel...

When I put my key in the ignition, the steering wheel collapses to its defined position. No problem there. The problem is the squeaking that happens when it scrolls down and up. I'm thinking on just unscrewing the plastic houseing and possibly using some light grease on some of the mechanisms (perhaps gearing or something). I've never looked into it. I've never opened it before.

I love any advice....

When I put my key in the ignition, the steering wheel collapses to its defined position. No problem there. The problem is the squeaking that happens when it scrolls down and up. I'm thinking on just unscrewing the plastic houseing and possibly using some light grease on some of the mechanisms (perhaps gearing or something). I've never looked into it. I've never opened it before.

I love any advice....

I had the same problem, it seemed to happen more when the weather was hot. Anyway, I took off the steering column cover and sprayed a bunch of white lithium grease in between all the moving parts. I did this about 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since. The grease is in a spray can at any auto parts store.