Iphone/bluetooth Question

I did a search and read as many related threads as I could find but still am not completely sure of the answer - thanks in advance.

I just bought a certified '05 ES330. I have ML + Navigation + CD Changer + Sat.

Can I add IPod/iPhone integration (and possibly Bluetooth)? My search results tell me my options are:

• SoundLinQ2 (for Ipod/iPhone)
  • Parrot MKi9000 (for bluetooth + iPod functions)

My question is "can I have it all"? I mean can I have ML + Navigation + CD Changer + Satellite AND still add one of these devices for iPod and/or bluetooth (I don't mean both the SoundLinQ and the Parrot! One or the other)?

I believe the SoundLinQ device emulates a CD device on the '05. Will that work with the CD changer?

Any knowledge appreciated.

I suspect that your best bet is to contact VAIS and ask if the SoundLinQ2 is compatible with your existing SAT. After all, VAIS specializes in Lexus.

There appears to be an interface harness available that could (supposedly) be used to attach the ISO connectors from the Parrot to your Lexus. Don't know if it would conflict with your SAT connection and don't know how you would find out without buying the Parrot. Maybe a professional installer could figure it out. Even the Parrot website says that it is often necessary to hardwire their Bluetooth kits that have iPod functions into cars, like Lexus, that are not ISO compatible.

Also, does the Parrot MKi9000 interface with your nav screen? Doesn't the the SoundLinQ2 do that?

There was a thread on ClubLexus a few months ago where an SC430 owner found that his radio volume froze up when he piggybacked a Parrot Bluetooth kit interface harness connector onto a VAIS interface harness connector. Last information he provided said that VAIS was sending him a replacement.

Even if you went with the VAIS, you could add a Bluetooth car kit to your ES -- it's not necessary to use an interface harness although an interface harness can reduce the complexity of install.

Thanks, Jim. Good thoughts for me to investigate.

I hadn't really thought about whether the Parrot would interface with the Nav screen. And if it doesn't then that question is a non-issue. I noticed a thread earlier where a member had posted a detailed review of the Parrot and he used the external speaker so that he wasn't needing to customize the whole existing audio system. Maybe that's my answer.

So maybe Vais for it's iPod compatibility and then something else (whenever) for bluetooth if I choose.

Thanks, Jim. Good thoughts for me to investigate.

I hadn't really thought about whether the Parrot would interface with the Nav screen. And if it doesn't then that question is a non-issue. I noticed a thread earlier where a member had posted a detailed review of the Parrot and he used the external speaker so that he wasn't needing to customize the whole existing audio system. Maybe that's my answer.

So maybe Vais for it's iPod compatibility and then something else (whenever) for bluetooth if I choose.

If the thread you are referring to was by "Blake918", he did not connect his Parrot MKi9100 to his 99 LS400 audio system so that the Parrot's iPod/aux/USB function could be used to play music through the car's speakers -- only through the single mono Parrot speaker. I think he was mainly looking for the the Bluetooth function of the Parrot since it works well with iPhone. I think he hardwired the Parrot's power, ground and mute wires to his 99 LS similar to how he installed the Nokia CARK-91H phone kit he had on his 95-97 LS had and I still have in our cars. (Thanks again, Blake, for sending me all those CARK-91 parts! -- wife's still using the replacement cradle you sent.)

Maybe you could find a Parrot dealer/installer who could tell you if the Parrot MKi9000 can interface with the ES nav screen -- I'd be surprised (no, amazed) if it did. There are some cool Youtube videos showing how people installed Parrot Bluetooth kits into their mostly European (mainly VW) cars using interface harnesses that allowed the use of existing steering wheel controls and the car's information display. One of the Youtube videos noted that the Parrot MKi9100 can not connect to a Bluetooth phone while a USB memory device is plugged into the Parrot.

Usually, where there is a will, there is way.

Follow up answer to my own question:

I went to a car stereo shop. The guy I talked to seemed immediately quite knowledgeable on the Lexus Mark Levinson system. He told me that even with a special wiring harness, I'm already using up all the Aux inputs with the cd changer and satellite. He said that there are a couple of options (including Vaistech SoundLinq) but I'd need to decide between iPod and XM Satellite. His price fpr parts and labor $290.

Sound correct?

I'll check on the Vais forum.

He also sold Parrot bluetooth and price was about the same although install would be a lot cheaper if I were doing both at the same time.

.. but I'd need to decide between iPod and XM Satellite.

If you have to have both, there's the VAIS "SoundLinQ SLx" that allows for control of an XM turner through the nav screen and has aux input for a manually controlled iPod or other MP3 player.