What The Dealer Told Me

chubyball

My car having problem with acceleration and Red cherry at catalytic convert. Today the dealer's technician told me that could be problem of the Coil or igniter 1 and 2. He said the repair labor would costs 2 hours. I checked the on the internet for parts cost is about from $50-128 depend on brand name.

I know the Coil is easy to replace because it locates top front side of passenger side, but not the igniter#2 which locates below the crankshaft on front side of driver side. This will consume alot of time to replace.

What is your suggestion guys? Replace it myself or have someone else do it beside the dealer? I know dealer 's going to charge me at least $300.00-$500.00 for replacing this parts.

If someone has manual repairs that instruct how to replace these parts please send me a copy. My car model is LS400 '95

Thanks a bunch guys!

Do you have any idea why these parts would cause your catcon to heat up? It doesn't make sense to me, but I'm no master mechanic. Why would a bad coil cause that reaction?

I would have asked them to explain to me why they think their diagnosis is the right one. Sometimes they just guess, and sometimes there is a real reason that they can tell you. If they don't want to explain it, odds are that it's a guess.

Joe

on a constant misfire the fuel mixture goes out the exhaust and burns in the cat. never seen this happen, but guess it is possible.

kinda like a sparkplugs in twin exhausts on a 1940 Ford---you could throw fire for 20 ft.--ahaa--for the good ole days.

well at first i suspected that, but since i havent had any, and iswiched to ie, everything has been normal. oh well, got an early flight in the am. goodnight lexusing. maybe is was hoebag?

denny (vb)

Joe,

The problem is 4 cylinders went dead which causes the unburn fuel to light up the cat. There is a post from Bandit he had a similar problem with accelarting and lost power due to the ignitor coil.

Anyone here can help me out with few pages manual of ignition coil?

Wow...I'm shocked that it would run (or that you would allow it to run) with a whole bank down. That's seriously degraded mode.

AllDataDIY lists coil replace as .5 hours for right and .8 hours for left, and .5 for an igniter, so it's got to be a snap to do. If you're not sure what's broken, probably best to have the dealer do it rather than you waste money on parts that you don't need to replace.

The coils are much less expensive than the igniters, so good luck on that one!

Joe

don't know if it is possible but maybe you can switch coils and see if you have any fire(spark) on the opposite side. then you would know if it was the coil.

should take 2 people since I can't imagine it running without 4 cyls--but all you need is a cranking whether it is running or not.