Synthetic Vs. Petroleum

Daniel24

I'm about to get a 1992 LS 400 and am having some work done on it by a certified lexus mechanic before I drive it away.

I am getting very confusing information, where ever I look, about whether or not to use a synthetic oil in a LS 400 with 118,000 miles on it, or not

I'm brand new to this group and I'm feeling good about this groups information...but even the forums are inconsistent on this point.

I've driven Hondas since 1973 and am anticipating even better things in a swithch to this Lexus. I'm also kind of a maintainemce nut and want to be sure I'm doing right by this vehicle. I have had my Hondas rountinely go 350,000+mi. and have used synthetic exclusively.

Can you help me with a definitive answer on this point?

The definitive answer is that using dino or synthetic will hurt nothing. That said, I use 5W-30 Mobil 1 in both of mine, and have for six years. No leaks, no bad breath, no nothin'.

So if you want to change, go ahead. Many good folks on this board already have.

I'm about to get a 1992 LS 400 and am having some work done on it by a certified lexus mechanic before I drive it away.

I am getting very confusing information, where ever I look, about whether or not to use a synthetic oil in a LS 400 with 118,000 miles on it, or not

I'm brand new to this group and I'm feeling good about this groups information...but even the forums are inconsistent on this point.

I've driven Hondas since 1973 and am anticipating even better things in a swithch to this Lexus. I'm also kind of a maintainemce nut and want to be sure I'm doing right by this vehicle. I have had my Hondas rountinely go 350,000+mi. and have used synthetic exclusively.

You're searching for a precise answer when this isn't one to be had. You'll get a hundred people in favor of dino oil and 100 in favor of synthestic. The one thing you might have more alignment is a general agreement to change oil and filter on schedule. That seems job 1. After that dino or synthetic is a personal preference.

Daniel,

Welcome to LOC.....is the engine on your LS mechanically sound with no leaks?

:cheers:

listen to curiousB, it is just a matter of choice, just follow the schedule and use what you like..

as a 75 year old retired mechanic, I ran gulfpride 30 for 40 years, now they dont even make it....

so I have them change it and dont even ask what they put in it....

one has 242K and the other has 237K both are 97 LS400, and run perfect. cheers

Daniel,

Welcome to LOC.....is the engine on your LS mechanically sound with no leaks?

Yep. No leaks anywhere, from anything.

:cheers:

listen to curiousB, it is just a matter of choice, just follow the schedule and use what you like..

as a 75 year old retired mechanic, I ran gulfpride 30 for 40 years, now they dont even make it....

so I have them change it and dont even ask what they put in it....

one has 242K and the other has 237K both are 97 LS400, and run perfect. cheers

Thanks to everyone who answered this questioon for me.

I'm going with the synthetic since my previous experiences have been so good in all the ways indicated previously on this forum.

Unless you tell me differently, I'll just use a 10-40 of the best quality I can find...and keep it changed on schedule for the remaining life of the car.

From what I'm reading, this cars got alot of life left in it and I'm old enough now to just want some comfort, reliability and a little class.

Any other suggestions for me as I make the heretical change from Hondas to Lexus?

Best regards.

The viscosity to use is 5W-30 if you are using Mobil 1. That's what Lexus says, and they are to be believed. The 10W-40 grade is not advised - many manufacturers specify against using it.

hi daniel when i got my ls at 65 k i switched to mobil 1 5w30, found the oil was great changed it ever 4 or 5k but did notice after 3k the oil breaks down a little and the motor sounded with a valve tap not a tap but could here a difference when the oil was new, switched to mobil 1 extended performance 5w30 which has double the amount of synflo in it and it has been unreal no change at 6 or 7k.. changing the oil at 6500 and getting more mileage between changes i do 3k a month of highway.. just follow intstructions about cars with older milegage from the mobil 1 website about changing the oil at around 2 or 3 k at the beginning from switching over to sythetic, happy driving Andrew

All the advice was sound until 98ls400lover's. Not that there is anything wrong with Mobil 1, or Mobil 1 Extended Performance. But to claim that one can hear oil breaking down, without any empirical evidence, just sounds silly.

All the advice was sound until 98ls400lover's. Not that there is anything wrong with Mobil 1, or Mobil 1 Extended Performance. But to claim that one can hear oil breaking down, without any empirical evidence, just sounds silly.

hmmm?

does anyone use Valvoline syn?

mc B)

I have used synthetics for years in my '90 LS w/170,000 as well as in my '93 LS w/115,000 with no ill effects - in fact I noticed a slight improvement in mpg (5 - 10%) and easier starting in the dead of winter (MN hinterlands). I have used Mobil 1, Pennsoil, Valvoline and the purple stuff - found all good.

I agree the bigger concern by far is change interval - I stick to 5K.

Happy motoring.

Living in the desert where it's hot (see avitar), I've always used 10w30. Just did my oil change and used Mobil 1 Extended Life 10w30. Previous owner used Mobil 1 also. I have 151,000 miles.