Increase Ride Quality Of Ls

98ls400lover

Hi all just wanted to share i have put 70,000 miles on my 98 ls over the last 2 years and am using the michelin primacy mxv4...

just wanted to share i dont bump into curbs mostly highway miles but the 98-2000 ls seems to be sensitive to alignment changes. the ride quality changes dramatically with the camber and toe off, this week i had my second aligment done and it was not dramatically off and the car tracks better obviously but the patch of the tread to the ride is absorbing the bumbs and highway pavement much better. this is the second alignment and i remember the same result the first time.

just thought this info would be helpful to the drivers that you read about that go 75k-100 with out aligning a car,

happy driving and safe driving to all,

Not exactly..

I bought my LS with ~132k. Currently has ~165k.

Took it in for an alignment a couple weeks ago and they didn't do anything cause it was perfect.

98ls400loverm, I wonder if the alignment was compensating for worn front front suspension bushings.

The strut rod bushings on my similar 00 LS400 were thoroughly worn out by the time I had them replaced at a little over 86,000 miles. The handling had become sloppy with quite a bit of front end vibration and poor tracking at highway speeds. I should have had them replaced about 10,000 miles earlier. Replacing them transformed the car's handling and made it feel like new.

Have your strut rod bushings and/or strut rod assemblies (which include the bushings) been replaced? 70-90K miles seem to be their typical life.

98ls400loverm, I wonder if the alignment was compensating for worn front front suspension bushings.

The strut rod bushings on my similar 00 LS400 were thoroughly worn out by the time I had them replaced at a little over 86,000 miles. The handling had become sloppy with quite a bit of front end vibration and poor tracking at highway speeds. I should have had them replaced about 10,000 miles earlier. Replacing them transformed the car's handling and made it feel like new.

Have your strut rod bushings and/or strut rod assemblies (which include the bushings) been replaced? 70-90K miles seem to be their typical life.

hi jim, they were replaced at 85k about 40,000 miles ago and did make a huge difference. i am just used to 5 series bmw and my ls is very sensitive to suspension changes, on the readout the toe was off and the cast/camber a little bit, the point of the post was that subtle differences for the subtle driver will make a difference for the avg guy cruising on the highway it wont matter, i am particular, quck question any other suspension stuff in your opinion should be changed? i was thinking of replacing ball joints or shocks do you think 120k and 11 years these should be replaced? have a nice weekend

Not exactly..

I bought my LS with ~132k. Currently has ~165k.

Took it in for an alignment a couple weeks ago and they didn't do anything cause it was perfect.

well if it was perfect you would not feel a difference, read my reply to jim below about the driver that is disriminating.. i think our older ls have a tight suspension and the welds and frame are probably technology from the 90's so i have noticed the car is more sensitive than my bmw's in the past. i love my ls and just thought the post would help, have a great weekend Andrew