A Strange Tale Of High Pressures And Broken Parts.

jainla

So at 85,000 miles and 8 1/2 years of life; I decided it was time to bite the bullet and replace my timing belt. During the diagnostic the tech also noticed that front lower control arm bushings were leaking (they are apparently filled with silicone) and pulled the CEL code to confirm my suspicion that my second engine oxygen sensor had croaked (note to self; replace all oxygen sensors in pairs from now on).

While the car was up on the lift (which was pretty impressive I must say) I asked about the notorious power steering solenoid screen. Apparently the LS430 doesn't have one; but while we were looking for it the tech noticed my water pump was leaking. We didn't think this was that much of a concern; it is after all almost 9 years old. All the more reason to replace it and the timing belt.

I dropped the car off the following Tuesday and the next day they called me with some bad news; the radiator was leaking. The plastic part right below the filler neck had cracked. Mike the lead tech there said his best guess was that something in the radiator cap release valve had failed; he said when he removed the cap the rubber pieces literally fell apart in his hands. He also believed that perhaps the water pump's leaking was due to pressure in the system being too high; and when he replaced it there was nowhere for the pressure to go. So it seems that the failure of this $15 part toasted a $400 radiator. He said in 15 years of working on Lexus cars he's never seen this happen on a car this young.

The good news is that the guys at Lexology felt so bad about not catching it that they didn't charge me labor to replace the radiator. The car also came back immaculately cleaned inside and out; they also steam cleaned the engine compartment; it looked brand new. As a bonus they also lubed and tightened my front stabilizer bar (which they diagnosed as the source of the crunching noise I used to hear intermittently from the front end when the car is cold). I haven't heard the noise since.

I may be imagining it but I think the car drives better than it has in a long time; it seems quieter and the engine seems smoother; they also replaced the accessory drive belt so that might be part of it. Mike also showed me all the parts they took off the car (I think if I had asked for them he would have given them to me). The timing belt was intact but seemed a little beat up; I'm glad i didn't wait too long.

Mike and Matt seem to run a real class act, Redondo Beach is a haul for me but I feel it's worth it. Other Angelenos might find it worth their while to give them a call.

So I guess the moral of the story is don't forget to check your radiator cap now and again; it could die sooner than you think.