Check Engine Codes

madsack215

I just recently replaced my timing belt, serpentine belt and spark plugs on my IS with 124.000 miles on it. The car running great and a couple of days ago my check engine light kicked on with my VSC and traction control lights. I had the codes ran which brought up P0442 twice and P0446. Anything would be helpful.

I just recently replaced my timing belt, serpentine belt and spark plugs on my IS with 124.000 miles on it. The car running great and a couple of days ago my check engine light kicked on with my VSC and traction control lights. I had the codes ran which brought up P0442 twice and P0446. Anything would be helpful.

Those codes usually come from the gas cap not being on tight enouph, or needing to replace the gas cap, or if the VSV valve isn't connected to the vacuume tube off the gas tank. It's right next to the air intake box. IF you just had a bunch of work done, I would bet that's the problem. Probably forgot to reconnect it.

• 2 years later...

I have a es330 and my check engine light came on. i had it checked at autozone and it read p0442. i no what it means bo i bought a new gas cap. it only been a day but the kight is still on, do i have to get it turned on or will it go off on its own?

Most PO obdII codes require a scanner to reset. The ABS and TSC system however, runs a test each ignition cycle, and if a code trigger "speed sensor open,short/valve issue" is detected, the abs/tcs/brake light will come on. These codes will "reset" themselves upon ignition cycle, if the trigger conditions are not present. Even tho the abs light may be off, it will take a scanner to remove the history code(s) from the computer's memory. Also, ABS/TCS system will trigger a code if any wheel speeds are out of range of another. This will trigger an abs light, but only after the car begins to roll, or as you near a stop. It will not trigger until you roll, because it relies on variances between each wheel, to complete the self test. It too will self reset on ignition recycle, but again, the history will remain even if the trigger is no longer present, and the light is now off.

Anyhow, in short....you will need a cheap obd scanner to erase your "gas cap" code. If the code comes back and you havent fueled with the car running, replace the gas cap, clear codes and try again. If the condition persists, take it to a technician that has a smoke machine, or knowledge of the system.

I have a es330 and my check engine light came on. i had it checked at autozone and it read p0442. i no what it means bo i bought a new gas cap. it only been a day but the kight is still on, do i have to get it turned on or will it go off on its own?

The light will remain on until the vehicle goes through two "drive cycles". When the computer sees that the matter has been resolved, the light will go out and the "current" code will clear. If the vehicle has not been driven enough or has not been repaired, the light will stay on and the code will remain "current".

The light will remain on until the vehicle goes through two "drive cycles". When the computer sees that the matter has been resolved, the light will go out and the "current" code will clear. If the vehicle has not been driven enough or has not been repaired, the light will stay on and the code will remain "current".

I was unaware of that. thanks for the clarity.