Window Goes Down But Hesitates To Come Up...

suraj

I have few issues with my 2000 RX300 front wheel drive.

Miles 84K.

The drive side window goes down but hesitates to come up.

If the window is half open, when I press up, it goes down instead.

When it is completely down, then it comes up.

Sometimes it doesn't come up at all. I have to wait for 15 20 minutes and try again and it comes up.

Few times, I had to shut off the engine, restart and then only it comes up.

I've noticed similar problem with my front passenger window when it's half open but it is not that bad. It always comes up when I fully let it go down and try.

I'm not sure if it is button or window motor or regulator.

Anyone has an idea of how much will it cost to fix it?

I have replaced window motors of other cars (chevy) before but don't want to mess with Lexus myself.

Another issue is the radio antenna. It goes up fine when radio is turned on.

When I turn radio off, I hear sound of the antenna motor but antenna doesn't go down..

I have to just press on the antenna tip little bit and it goes down smoothly, but if I don't give that initial push, it just makes sound for a while and stops.

:-(

thanks for ideas guys...

2 things. The track is probably out of align left to rt or worn-out. It's wedging up from side to side inch by inch.

If you stop it, it looses it's momentum and maybe settles in a bit. I'ts then caddy-wampas and when you try to raise it, its so wedged in it does what it does if your head were there. It hits, keeps pushing up to 5 or 10 lbs of pressure, turns around and goes down

So I'd say you need to look at those tracks (or whatever they call them). Just my opinion.

Sorry no clue on antenna.

Regards,

Sounds like it is just the pinch protection. There is a simple procedure in the owners manual to adjust it. As far as the antenna goes, clean up the mast real good with something like WD40. Usually this enough to get it working.

I'm betting that the antenna mast is broken off at the bottom. (actually not the mast but the plastic gear strip that actually runs it up and down) That is a fairly common problem with the antennas . My DIL's has broken 2 now. Try and pull up a little on it when it won't go down, rather than pushing down. If it comes up, you have a broken gear strip and will most likely have to remove the antenna from the car and take it apart to get that broken piece out. As stated, you don't have to replace the whole antenna assembly, you can buy the mast and gear strip. Once you get the broken piece out, it's easy to get it to eat the new antenna and mast. It's been a while since I did the last one, but I think you may have to remove the top nut (?) to pull up on it, and to get it out. Good Luck! :)

Thank you for replying guys.

I'm more concerned about the window than the antenna.

I've to open my door and throw coins at toll roads as I'm afraid the window won't come up.

I took it for an oil change and discussed issue with the guy there and he said the window motor may be weak and will cost around $600 to replace.

I don't know if after market part will work here. $600 sounds expensive and for both windows that's $1200.

The service guys also recommended few other things that costs over $2000 such as timing belt, water pump, trans fluid flush, brake fluid, drive belt, rear brake pads etc... daang...

For the windows you can also buy some dry silicone spray and spray the rails the window slides on. The spray has a long nozzle that you stick down the edge of the window and spray inside the door on the side rails. Then try to run the window up and down to lube the rails.

Tried resetting pinch protection.

I think it helped little bit. The window didn't come up from the middle but it came back from all the way down after few tries. Didn't have to wait long this time. I'll see if it gets any better.

I want to ask you about the repair quote.

Do you guys think the price is reasonable?

What do you guys think critical? I can change air filter myself, other than that, everything is at Toyota or lexus.

The quote is from Toyota not from Lexus dealer.

Replace Rear brake pads/resurface rotors, pads red @ 2mm $218.95

Replace drive belts (cracked) $165

Replace air filter, very dirty $30

Timing belt, including seals and water pump $945

Trans flush, fluid very dirty $150

P/S flush, fluid verey dirty $90

Brake fluid flush, fluid very dirty $107

Emissions service $200

Total: $1,905.95

Thanks

Tried resetting pinch protection.

I think it helped little bit. The window didn't come up from the middle but it came back from all the way down after few tries. Didn't have to wait long this time. I'll see if it gets any better.

I want to ask you about the repair quote.

Do you guys think the price is reasonable?

What do you guys think critical? I can change air filter myself, other than that, everything is at Toyota or lexus.

The quote is from Toyota not from Lexus dealer.

Replace Rear brake pads/resurface rotors, pads red @ 2mm $218.95

Replace drive belts (cracked) $165

Replace air filter, very dirty $30

Timing belt, including seals and water pump $945

Trans flush, fluid very dirty $150

P/S flush, fluid verey dirty $90

Brake fluid flush, fluid very dirty $107

Emissions service $200

Total: $1,905.95

Thanks

Some reasonable, some high- just one man's opinion. :D

what ever you do dont do a transmission flush, do a drain and fill on the transmisson. As for the timing belt and waterpump way too high. My local toyota dealership did both for 500....Time to invest in a manual and use this site, and save some big bucks.

what ever you do dont do a transmission flush, do a drain and fill on the transmission. As for the timing belt and waterpump way too high. My local toyota dealership did both for 500....Time to invest in a manual and use this site, and save some big bucks.

Okay got your reply little late. :(

I did all the recommended and now it's showing check engine light.

I just got it back and the shop is closed for today.

I hope it is not major. :censored:

I'll have to take it back there tomorrow to see what's going on.

I noticed the car is smoother now except the engine light is bothering me.

Do I need to reset something for that?

No idea what is emissions service. I didn't ask them to do that.

thanks guys

• Like 1

They had a lot apart to do the services you listed so the CEL could be anything. You really to get it back to them so they can read the code and see what the problem is. Being that they did a trans flush, I hope it is not trans related due to moving debris around in the trans.

There is one strong possibilty causing the code. There is a black rubber hose behind the air box directly under the brake fluid container. When you lift up on the top of the air box to change the air filter this hose is easily disconnected from the metal tube below causing a CEL. Being that Toyota products use a different air box, the Toyota dealer may not be aware of this common problem.

Suraj,

A reputable shop should sort out the CEL problem they creates. Unfortunately if this was the lube shop they will sell you another $500 in make believe repairs. Go somewhere else.

A lesson for all, If you go to a chain lube shop...well...there not exactly reputable. At least half of them are under and state (and I think federal) investigation for unnecessary and incompetent work (forget to put oil back into the engine?). Here in CA the largest is under indictment and ready to go into receivership unless they get it together. A recent visit to one in my porsch says not. Fortunately they didn't know which end was up and couldn't sell me even the minimum, obligatory air-filter (singled out by L.A.Times).

I could go on all day but suffice to say there was huge expose in the LA Times a while ago. Anyway Suraj, I hope you didn't get an unscrupulousness one if you went too one.

Beware, PK

Hi guys,

Thanks for reply.

Before I took the car back to the shop, I checked online and found that few have same issue after timing belt change and the code was P1346.

The main mechanic at the shop hooked up the code machine and it was indeed P1346.

He suspected that his associate who replaced the belt didn't check it properly by turning the belt few times before closing.

The reason was one tooth of the timing belt jumped from the center.

He opened the timing belt again and installed it properly. No check engine light. Thank god.

He mentioned that other cars take a while to find that but this rx300 immediately found that. :) May be lexus computer is better than most others.

Btw, the shop also replaced Transmission fluid filter in my rx300. I was not aware that transmission fluid also has filter.

Hopefully, no more issues for at least few years.

Thanks again.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

>I have few issues with my 2000 RX300 front wheel drive.

Miles 84K.

Sometimes it doesn't come up at all. I have to wait for 15 20 minutes and try again and it comes up.

Few times, I had to shut off the engine, restart and then only it comes up.>

What did you have to do to get the window to work?

Did the pinch protection procedure help?

My 2001 just started tie same thing.

Thanks,

Karl

Did you even try the pinch protection adjustment? I am pretty sure that is going to fix it. Very easy to do, just a matter of holding down window switches. It's in your owner's manual.

I can not find this procedure in my owner's manual. I did find another thread that mentions it, but it also does not give any detail. Are you pulling my leg? :lol:

A third thread I came across regarding a different window issue stated:

"Go to each individual window, roll down and roll up, when you're rolling the window back up do not let go of the switch, keep pulling the switch up and remain holding it up for about 5 seconds after the window is shut. Do this on all the windows and it should reset the master switch. "

I have no idea if this is the same process as referenced above, but I tried it anyway. Maybe I should hold the switch down instead of up? Since the issue is intermittent on my vehicle, I'll have to just wait and see if it happens again.

I just checked owner's manuals from 99 to 04 and it looks like the procedure wasn't added to the manual til 04. Here it is from the 04 manual:

"

To normalize the power windows:

1. Push down the power window switch of each door and lower

the windows halfway.

2. Pull up the switch until the windows close and hold the

switch for a second.

Make sure that the windows open and close automatically. If

the power windows cannot be operated properly, have it

checked by your Lexus dealer.

"

• 1 month later...

JUST today my RX300 did your window thing.............started to put it up and it comes up part way and then goes down, did it again and same things up and then down - finally after several more attempts I just put it all the way down, breathed a big sigh of relief as it then went back up - like you I am afraid sometimes of putting it down.

It has done this a few times before - on both sides - but then goes months and months without doing it -

What is the Pinch thing - and would it be necessary if it only happens every now and then??

I have few issues with my 2000 RX300 front wheel drive.

Miles 84K.

Few times, I had to shut off the engine, restart and then only it comes up.

I've noticed similar problem with my front passenger window when it's half open but it is not that bad. It always comes up when I fully let it go down and try.

I'm not sure if it is button or window motor or regulator.

Anyone has an idea of how much will it cost to fix it?

I have replaced window motors of other cars (chevy) before but don't want to mess with Lexus myself.

Another issue is the radio antenna. It goes up fine when radio is turned on.

When I turn radio off, I hear sound of the antenna motor but antenna doesn't go down..

I have to just press on the antenna tip little bit and it goes down smoothly, but if I don't give that initial push, it just makes sound for a while and stops.

thanks for ideas guys...