I Saw One On The Road!

jainla

I drove right behind one today in Redondo (ironically on the way to pick up the LS at the shop). Silver with dark interior; maybe a press car?

Kind of reminds me of the 1st gen prius, it was silver which I'm not sure is it's best color. Sure was shiny though....

:)

• 1 month later...

I just saw one today. It wasn't as nice looking as I thought it would be. It looks like it should be wider and I thought it was going to be a little bigger from photos I've seen online.

It's still a million times better than a prius. I always thought those looked like mini-minivans.

Actually I like the looks of the 2010 Prius better than the HS...

Yeah, the 2010 is a big improvement over the earlier models. My brother bought an '09 a few months ago. He says he doesn't care, but I think he is really kicking himself for not waiting. What he really hates are all the goofy treehugger commercials toyota makes for the prius. Not everyone interested in a prius is a freak. Those commercials are just embarrassing.

• 3 weeks later...

They make the HS look SO nice on the lexus commercials that are on TV... Yet you see one in other pictures or in person, and... :o

Couldn't they have made it just a "tad" better looking? Even a little?

I've always wondered that about the Prius too lol, although the 2010 is a lot better. I actually like the 2010 Prius better than the HS.

I think they want it to look a little odd. The overall shape of the HS reminds me of the Gen 1 Prius.

I've always wondered that about the Prius too lol, although the 2010 is a lot better. I actually like the 2010 Prius better than the HS.

I think they want it to look a little odd. The overall shape of the HS reminds me of the Gen 1 Prius.

Yeah it kind of does; with the front of the car almost slanting forward. I've seen a couple in LA and one in Philly, and one at the US Open. I think it looks better in darker colors. The interior is really nicely finished though; definitely a step above the Prius.

I really like the design of the Prius, both generations. It just fits- i mean you look at it, and you think "hybrid". And it still screams classy to me. Toyota did a good job combining the "hybrid look" and class with the Prius.

I just don't think the HS "works", especially not for Lexus. They should've just made the ES into a hybrid. I think the style of the HS might scare away Lexus buyers... It's a little too "different" from the style of the other models.

I really like the design of the Prius, both generations. It just fits- i mean you look at it, and you think "hybrid". And it still screams classy to me. Toyota did a good job combining the "hybrid look" and class with the Prius.

I just don't think the HS "works", especially not for Lexus. They should've just made the ES into a hybrid. I think the style of the HS might scare away Lexus buyers... It's a little too "different" from the style of the other models.

The look of the prius fits, yet it hurts the brand. I think the majority of americans look at a prius and think "hippy" or "freak". A lot of people think the car you drive says a lot about the type of person you are. I'm not saying I totally agree with that, but sort of...... my marketing teacher believed it.

I think if they made the prius look more "regular" it would appeal to more people. There are plenty of people who want the prius gas mileage without having to get laughed at when other drivers pass them. And I'm sure most people on this forum (or prius owners) don't think this is true, but I know plenty of people who HATE the look of the prius and every time they see one they make sure to joke about it. And like I said earlier in this thread, it looks like a little minivan, and that is not a good thing.

I'm surprised to hear people on this board say the prius looks better.

I did almost buy a prius a few years ago though..... <_<

The look of the prius fits, yet it hurts the brand. I think the majority of americans look at a prius and think "hippy" or "freak". A lot of people think the car you drive says a lot about the type of person you are. I'm not saying I totally agree with that, but sort of...... my marketing teacher believed it.

I think if they made the prius look more "regular" it would appeal to more people. There are plenty of people who want the prius gas mileage without having to get laughed at when other drivers pass them. And I'm sure most people on this forum (or prius owners) don't think this is true, but I know plenty of people who HATE the look of the prius and every time they see one they make sure to joke about it. And like I said earlier in this thread, it looks like a little minivan, and that is not a good thing.

I'm surprised to hear people on this board say the prius looks better.

I did almost buy a prius a few years ago though..... <_<

I saw one on the road (briefly) today, shiny silver. It seems a little tall and ungainly (maybe because I was driving a little BMW convertible), and the front grille made me think of a Ford. No s*x-appeal. If the inside is nice, it may sell well as it could allow luxury owners to assuage conscience without stepping 'down' to a Prius or a Camry h, or 'up' to an RX...h or a LS...h. It looks comfortable, though, seemingly with large interior space.

People hate lots of things and make jokes about lots of things. Hurts the brand? Hardly.

The fact is the Prius sells REALLY well. They sell every Prius they can build, and it has one of the lowest on-the-lot times of any car currently sold in the US. They physically can't build enough of them to keep up with the demand. Now they have Honda copying the design with the new Insight which is a virtual clone.

I think our '04 Prius is stupid looking...but they sell incredibly well. The 2010 is different. Hard to make a case that Toyota did anything wrong with the Prius.

In fact the Prius is so popular Toyota is planning on creating a Prius sub-brand, like Scion and introducing other vehicles to the Prius line.

Anyways they already sell a more normal sedan Hybrid, the Camry Hybrid...which the Prius handily outsells despite being similar in price.

Whatever car you are in, some gomer is going to have some dumb joke to make about it. I get to live my life as me...they have to live their lives as them so I really don't care.

They should've just made the ES into a hybrid.

I've been saying this for a while. I would have bought an ESh...

I think the issue with the ESh would be price. The ES350 loaded is already $45k, the hybrid would have to be more like $50k. They wanted something closer in price to the Prius I think for move-up.

Yeah SW I pretty much agree with everything you said. My comment about the look hurting the brand is purely based on the fact that 2 years ago I wanted a prius because of my long commute, but because of the look I didn't get one. You know how crazy I am about the look of things (cduluk's wood trim topic :P ). I actually was about to have the guy order one for me at my local dealer, but my wife pretty much said if I got a prius she wouldn't be seen with me in it.

You have a point how they can't keep them in stock, although I wonder if they want keep the supply a little low to keep the demand up.

The camry hybrid is a joke and hardly gets any better gas mileage than a regular camry (regardless of what toyota says). There was no way I going to spend an extra 5 grand just to get a hybrid emblem on my car.

Yes, people are totally idiots and make fun of anything and everything to make themselves feel better. I'm taking crap over driving an RX now and I'm always like "I bet you spent more on that piece of crap chevy than I did on my lexus."

Lastly, an ES hybrid would be cool, but yeah it would be way too expensive. They should have just made the HS look more like an ES.

Have you looked at the 2010 Prius and driven one? IMHO the styling is MUCH improved from the 04-09 car, especially the package V with the 17" wheels. The interior is much better and more comfortable too.

Even if they keep the supply low to keep demand up...the unit sales are still there. The thing sells over 100,000 units a year...not bad.

The camry hybrid is a joke and hardly gets any better gas mileage than a regular camry (regardless of what toyota says). There was no way I going to spend an extra 5 grand just to get a hybrid emblem on my car.

Thats really not true. Bear in mind, the effectiveness of the hybrid system really depends on how its driven. if driven conservatively, a Camry Hybrid can get mid-30MPG numbers. Same is true of the RXh...and GSh...and would be for the ESh if there were one.

You had other options anyways, the Honda Civic Hybrid is nice, gets good mileage, and is more traditional looking.

Yes, people are totally idiots and make fun of anything and everything to make themselves feel better. I'm taking crap over driving an RX now and I'm always like "I bet you spent more on that piece of crap chevy than I did on my lexus."

Why do you even take the crap. I just laugh along with them and move on. I don't have anything to prove to anybody else and niether should you. You like your RX, its a wonderful vehicle and plenty of people must agree because they sell very well. If someone wants to make fun of you for it, laugh along with them and tell them "its a great car, I love it" and move on. Don't let it bother you.

Even your wife...I hate the Prius and you see what my wife bought...a Prius. Its her car...and its your car. If you want a Prius...buy a Prius. If she doesn't want to ride with you...she can meet you there. She'll come around.

The HS I have a feeling is designed to be quirky and futuristic looking to appeal to buyers who want to move up from the Prius...

Have you looked at the 2010 Prius and driven one? IMHO the styling is MUCH improved from the 04-09 car, especially the package V with the 17" wheels. The interior is much better and more comfortable too.

Even if they keep the supply low to keep demand up...the unit sales are still there. The thing sells over 100,000 units a year...not bad.

yeah, so we are both right....

No, I haven't driven a 2010 prius, I'm just stating the opinions that most people I talk to have. I'm still kind of undecided about the 2010. No way would I trade my RX in for one.

Thats really not true. Bear in mind, the effectiveness of the hybrid system really depends on how its driven. if driven conservatively, a Camry Hybrid can get mid-30MPG numbers. Same is true of the RXh...and GSh...and would be for the ESh if there were one.

You had other options anyways, the Honda Civic Hybrid is nice, gets good mileage, and is more traditional looking.

I didn't have enough money to get a camry hybrid anyway. I still loved the 07 LE I got even though I ended up selling it. Most of my driving is highway anyway, so I'd probably get like 2-3 more mpg. I'm not willing to drive like a grandpa to save a few bucks on gas. Time is money, and I'm always running late.

Why do you even take the crap. I just laugh along with them and move on. I don't have anything to prove to anybody else and niether should you. You like your RX, its a wonderful vehicle and plenty of people must agree because they sell very well. If someone wants to make fun of you for it, laugh along with them and tell them "its a great car, I love it" and move on. Don't let it bother you.

take the crap? what does that even mean? Umm yeah I do just laugh it off. I don't know about you, but usually with friends you are always poking fun at each other, and it is that: "fun". It's not something I'm crying about. I take it and I dish it out.

Even your wife...I hate the Prius and you see what my wife bought...a Prius. Its her car...and its your car. If you want a Prius...buy a Prius. If she doesn't want to ride with you...she can meet you there. She'll come around.

just making a joke. My wife did say that but she was half-joking too.

LOL, Don't take everything so seriously. I'm not.....

yeah, so we are both right....

No, I haven't driven a 2010 prius, I'm just stating the opinions that most people I talk to have. I'm still kind of undecided about the 2010. No way would I trade my RX in for one.

I wouldn't trade an RX in for one either...

I didn't have enough money to get a camry hybrid anyway. I still loved the 07 LE I got even though I ended up selling it. Most of my driving is highway anyway, so I'd probably get like 2-3 more mpg. I'm not willing to drive like a grandpa to save a few bucks on gas. Time is money, and I'm always running late.

If you drive mostly highway the hybrid probably isn't worth it for you...

I'm not taking anything too seriously, it just struck me like you care a little bit much what others think vs what you think. If thats not the case then I was mistaken.