Urgent Heads-up For Speaker Replacement !

irishvol

When recently replacing the CRAPPY door speakers in my '02 I learned that the factory system is an 8 ohm system. All known auto speakers are 4 ohm. If 4 ohm speakers are used it will blow the amplifer at some point. About a $1000.00!! I was very lucky to have some very knowledgable proessionals who solved the problem with a custom install of 2, 4 inch, 4ohm speakers wired together (thus 8 ohms) in the stock mountings in each door. Sounds great.....cost? $240.00

Interesting concept but I'm curious how well this could actually work? Although you are getting the correct resistance by wiring two 4" speakers in series.. The front 6x9" is a mid bass woofer. 4" speakers are known to provide very crappy midbass due to the size of their cone.. were you able to find specific 4" mid bass drivers or did you just wire up some two way speakers and just aren't utilizing the tweeter in both? I'm very curious on how this could possibly sound good? Thanks for your input.

Interesting concept but I'm curious how well this could actually work? Although you are getting the correct resistance by wiring two 4" speakers in series.. The front 6x9" is a mid bass woofer. 4" speakers are known to provide very crappy midbass due to the size of their cone.. were you able to find specific 4" mid bass drivers or did you just wire up some two way speakers and just aren't utilizing the tweeter in both? I'm very curious on how this could possibly sound good? Thanks for your input.

The sound is GREAT!! So much better than factory. The guys who did this are real professionals and did a wonderful job. I would never attempt something like this myself. I understand your concerns but almost anything would be better than those crappy factory speakers. When removed both paper cones had torn away from their outside outside frame. The 4s are very high quality. Do you know of any aftermarket 8 ohm 6x9s? Thanks for input....Tony

• 11 years later...

Fosgate makes a very high quality 6.5 in 8 ohm. $11 adapter plate. Got tons of mid range quality sound...$160 pair. 

Took me couple hours

2006 430 sc