Small Puddle Of Water Forming In The Trunk At The Bottom!

topgun129

Hi,

For some odd reason, I'm getting a small puddle of water forming at the bottom of my trunk. It happens after heavy rain. When I first saw it happen I immediately sealed the rubber plug with silicon sealant (the edging of the plug), but that does not seem to be doing the trick. Any ideas of where and how this water is getting in? And any good solutions?

Because of this the underside of my trunk mat gets a little moist and there is moisture sometimes on the spare tire. When water forms there is no indication that water is coming from anywhere else besides the plug.

I've attached a photo which gives a little bit better detail.

Thanks!

post-64480-1248030892_thumb.jpg

Check trunk gasket, blow air on the vent areas of the moonroof. Pour some water in the back of the trunk by the glas area with your trunk open so you can see were it is going, with red kool aid or some other liquid of red color without sugar. CCF

Hi,

For some odd reason, I'm getting a small puddle of water forming at the bottom of my trunk. It happens after heavy rain. When I first saw it happen I immediately sealed the rubber plug with silicon sealant (the edging of the plug), but that does not seem to be doing the trick. Any ideas of where and how this water is getting in? And any good solutions?

Because of this the underside of my trunk mat gets a little moist and there is moisture sometimes on the spare tire. When water forms there is no indication that water is coming from anywhere else besides the plug.

I've attached a photo which gives a little bit better detail.

Thanks!

It's the trunk gasket. A new one is ~$140..

About a week ago I fixed my own.. I have pics to make a DIY out of it.

Make a couple small cuts in the tubing and slide in some 7/64's (IIRC) vacuum tubing with lots of silicone lube. I picked up my tubing from the local Schucks auto store. Then a big tube of black silicone gasket sealer stuff to thoroughly re-seal the gasket to the trunk. Leave it closed for about 24 hours when you're totally done to let it properly dry and setup.

I got about 16' just to be safe, ended up sliding 2 tubes into it. Trunk feels like it seals a lot tighter. Now I just need to wait for the rain to see if it fills up again...

Oh yeah.. and I had to Lysol the mold in the trunk after I ran a fan in there for hours to totally dry it. I've had this problem for a while.

Hoping it's fixed!

$140 - OUCH!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get to the trunk problem in about 2 weeks.

Do you have any intention of creating a DIY tutorial for this problem with the photos you have taken? Or if anything can you email me the photos? My email is cjjohnson961[AT]gmail.com

Thanks!

If you're getting water just at the one plug, then it's prolly coming up from that plug while driving. Remove the plug, clean then apply some O-ring Silicone lubricant/sealant and put the plug back in.

As a trouble shooting measure, you can put a paper towel by the jack and jack handle. Put everything back together and check after the next heavy rain. If either of the paper towels are wet, you'll know from which side the water is coming from. If dry, it's the plug.