How To Replace Your Rx400H Intake And Cabin Filters

Since I had to replace these two filters, this weekend, I decided to document what I did for those who haven't done this before and want to save some money by doing it themselves.

So, take a look and tell me if anything is unclear; I'll do my best to make it better.

Here's the link:

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com//Documents/Lexusfilterchange.pdf

Update: 3/6/2011: Optional cabin and air intake filters:

Cabin (Panel) filter: Wix 24883 $14.99

Intake filter: Wix 49185 $16.77

Both available at www.amazon.com

Dave

• Like 1

I'm always amazed at how much trash finds its way into the cabin filter. 15,000 miles is really pushing it when it comes to how much dirt that filter can hold!

Dave, were those filters from NAPA labeled WIX?

I'm curious because NAPA told me by phone that they only carried the engine air filter by WIX but not the cabin filter in any brand.

Tom

Tom,

While there is no mention of "WIX", NAPA's cabin filter is considered to be within their "GOLD" line of parts. Here is the link to the fil4883 cabin filter:

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(ks2bt...p;Dk=1&Dp=3

...and the air filter:

I also picked up a K&N oil filter (735-5551):

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

I'm using NAPA's oil filters now, in part because I could find a spanner wrench to fit them. They told me that they were made by WIX but only have the NAPA Gold label. I'm guessing WIX also might supply the other filters you bought.

But I may still stock up from rock auto as they sell these filters very cheap--both air and cabin filters around $11-12 (prices seem to fluctuate). FYI we have two 400h's in our family.

Tom

Tom,

NAPA's website does list a less expensive version of either the air or cabin (I can't remember which), but I decided to go with their premium (Gold) line. They have a non-gold oil filter for many different vehicles, but from what I understand, that one is not made by WIX. I like the K&N because it has that very handy welded-on nut. I simply use an adjustable wrench to loosen the filter. Both the K&N and WIX filters have been given accolades by lab testers, so you really can't go wrong with either.

Dave

It's pretty easy too, to make your own re-usable cabin filter too, with a few sites like this one showing what's best to use for filter material & how to cut it to shape etc. For us, the $15 on line price has never broke the bank, so far ... so for us ... we do it the easy way and simply buy a couple at a time.

Dave, I agree with all you wrote. I used the K&N for my first "home" oil change and liked it's quality and the nut on the end but also thought it a bit pricy for an oil filter. I then bought the NAPA Gold (WIX) for $2.79 each for a quantity of 6. (I get a dealer discount at some auto supplies.)

Someone, the guys on the Porsche 968 site have made their own cabin air filters (0 or 2 depending on the year of the 968) out of home air conditioner filter material and come out fine. (The OEM filters are a substantial ripoff and there is only one aftermarket source which is a poor fit.)

Finally it raineth in Arizona after many months of dry. Wahoo.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Since I had to replace these two filters, this weekend, I decided to document what I did for those who haven't done this before and want to save some money by doing it themselves.

So, take a look and tell me if anything is unclear; I'll do my best to make it better.

Here's the link:

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/Replacing...and%20cabin.pdf

Dave

Cool, thanks Dave!

• 1 year later...

Hey Dave,

Thanks very much for the info. Have you noticed any increased cabin noise coming from the A/C blower after changing the filters? I used exactly the same WIX filters you recommended, and I now hear the blower when the heater goes on (either with A/C on of off, and either using outdoor or recycled air). The noise is proportional to the air speed -- the more air the louder the noise.

I double-checked that both filters are properly installed.

Any thoughts?

Evan

• 9 months later...

Hey! It is an awesome guide my friend, I appreciate it. I was wondering if some of you know what are the routine changes for Rx400h 2006. Like:

How often do I need to change cabin filter? - As I read, every 15k miles? How about the rest routines?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Dave . . . good instructions, worked perfect on my '06 RX400h as well. FWIW, I bought a Fram cabin air filter #CF10132 at O'Reilly Auto Parts for the grand price of $18.99. After studying your video, I attacked the glove box, and when ready for the filter, opened the filter box, and voila!, instructions w/pictures from Fram, too!

Took me maybe 5 minutes, and the dealer price would have been $62. The new filter is way more substantial than the old one it replaced, too.

Gary B.

Thanks, Gary,

Often, procedures by the manufacturers have few or no photos and any they do include are typically very small black and white photos or crude drawings. It looks like Fram is one step ahead of most others, as I believe the boxes containing filters I've used contain no instructions at all.

Zapopaz,

I check at 10,000 miles and almost always replace before the 15,000 mile mark. How quickly your filters get dirty is dependant upon the ambient conditions in your area. Dryer areas tend to dirty the filters more quickly than wet areas.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Shah,

I am accustomed to writing procedures for production assemblers, many of whom speak English as a second language - thus, the many photos and extra details. I guess it's better to have too many, than not enough. :)

Dave

• 2 years later...

Hi - I've been using K&N filters on my 08 RX 400h for a long time.  They make a reusable and cleanable engine air filter and cabin air filter.  They're a bit pricey, but you only pay once.  I was using HEPA filters purchased from Home Depot cut to the proper dimensions for the cabin air filter.  Worked fairly well.  

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info, Fenton. With some engines you have to be careful not to over-oil K&N intake filters. Excessive oil may move far enough downstream to coat the MAF sensor, which in turn can result in drivability issues. As long as you follow their directions, this will not happen. I have been using K&N filters for many cars throughout the years. I understand that K&N also makes a dry version (similar to AEM Dryflo filters).