06 Rx330 Loose Steering

a2z200

Hopefully, somebody had the same problem and is able to shed somelight

My 06 RX 330 steering wheel feels loose. When I pull the car in garage, after the car stops and front wheels set set straight the steering wheel often won't return to straight position, instead the steering wheel would stay sometimes as far as 90 degrees to the left or right.

During driving, I can feel the steering wheel is light and lack of accuracy in comparison to my ES 300. Sometimes when I stop for the light and road is uneven, I even feel the wheel is "pulling" to left or right, I have to use some force to hold the wheel straight.

I took it to the dealer, they can't duplicate the pulling on uneven street.

Thanks in advance for any help

:(

You could have a variety of issues. I would check the following:

Loose tie rod end

Faulty alignment - check if recently had alignment done

bad control arm bushings

faulty / worn steering knuckle

power steering rack issues

Look at the camber angle of the tires as well when parked. Look to see if they are pointed inward or outward.

Loose tie rod end

bad control arm bushings

Look at the camber angle of the tires as well when parked. Look to see if they are pointed inward or outward.

Thanks tjmc11,

I had the alignment done at dealer after I started feeling this problem. The alignment helped to ease the problem but did completely get rid of it.

That should narrow it down to arm brushing, steering knuckle and rack.

I'll look into this directions.

Loose tie rod end

bad control arm bushings

Thanks tjmc11,

I had the alignment done at dealer after I started feeling this problem. The alignment helped to ease the problem but did completely get rid of it.

That should narrow it down to arm brushing, steering knuckle and rack.

I'll look into this directions.

Having done alignments, this, to me, is alarming! I wouldn't drive that car another mile if it is actually as bad as you said it was. Assuming accuracy in you description, there is definitely something wrong with your car. I would take it to a GOOD independent frame and alignment shop and have them check it over. Lexus didn't build the car that way, or they would never have sold the 1st one!

P.S. I would not go back to that dealer for service!

I hope his steering rack is not loose on the frame. Should be able to jack the car up and push on the wheels to see if the rack moves....

On my old RX300, I had issues twice with the RACK BUSHINGS. These are the bushings that hold the rack to the sub frame. They are rubber. If you have an oil leak, the oil can ruin the rubber bushings. Thus giving quite a large amount of play into the steering system.

Please check this!!! Check the rack bushings!!!! I would put money on that being your problem.