2006 Rx400h New Car Features.

Hi all. I picked one of these up off an ebay auction. It's not the actual Lexus Service Manual (I have one on CD ordered), but it is 196 pages dedicated to the technology in the 400h (and it also shows the areas where the 400h is different from the 330 such as the different VVT-i tuning in the 400h). Anyway, it was cheap - $24, so if you see one on ebay, snap it up. In fact, the seller I bought from still has at least one more listed.

post-94827-1247786744_thumb.jpg

Some interesting things I found:

-I've noticed that after using the windshield washer, there's a 3 or 4 second delay and then the wipers wipe one more time. I always assumed that the rain sensor was sensing some left over wiper spray and was causing this. It turns out the wipers are programmed to give one more wipe after a few seconds (depends on speed of vehicle) to take care of any drips that might be running down from overspray. Makes sense, as I used to have to manually wipe the windshield on all other cars I've owned to take care of overspray running back down the windshield

-the gas tank in the 400h is 2mm thick vs 6mm on the 330, however, the 400h has lead and tin alloy plating vs plastic on the 330

-the maximum closing timing of the intake valve has been retarded 64 degrees to 92 degrees ABDC (after bottom dead centre) which reduces the effective cylinder capacity and temporarily lowers the combustion pressure, reducing the vibrations created during the start of the engine. This must be the change to the VVTi I've heard about that reduces the power of the gas engine compared to the 330. Must have been required because of all the engine starts. A little vibration on a 330 when starting once or twice a day might not have been noticeable, but multiple starts every the vehicle is in motion must have been too noticeable.

There's much more, but the post would be 196 pages long if I went on.

If there's something specific somebody wants, let me know and I'll see if it's in the manual. It's full of specifications and there's also a list of all the options that can be changed (like how long the interior lights stay on, having the power door powered when you manually use the latch, etc.

• 6 months later...

Thanks lemon for the useful info. Can you please help in providing the steps to change the following settings (if possible):

1. Turn off the day lights

2. When the lights at Auto, and after turning off the car at night, the headlights stay on for 30 seconds, is it possible to turn them off immediatly?

3. Pressing the unlonk button on the remote to open all the doors, currently it opens only the driver door and I have to press it twice to unlock all doors.

I know that these settings can be changed at the dealership, but each setting is priced at certain price. For example the first option costs $100

2. When the lights at Auto, and after turning off the car at night, the headlights stay on for 30 seconds, is it possible to turn them off immediatly?

There may be a way to change this setting via the dealership or otherwise; however, if you want a quick fix, I have found that if I push the panic (lock) button a second time, it turns the headlights off immediately rather than waiting the 30 seconds

There may be a way to change this setting via the dealership or otherwise; however, if you want a quick fix, I have found that if I push the panic (lock) button a second time, it turns the headlights off immediately rather than waiting the 30 seconds

Many thanks for the useful post. I tried it and it works fine. I don't want to bother my neighbours with the lights when I come home late.