The "final" Subwoofer Replacement Question?

So in that case look into fosgate AMps they have the high low built in which isbetter then buying lower grade one. I dont know i feel that it should be better. (made by fosgate)

Im ordering my Pioneer free air in a abit. But i have alot of work to do in the mean time.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must have read a bazillion threads on the subject of SC sub replacement. Lots of information, not much consensus, except that in every case, the aftermarket sub sounded "better" than the stocker it replaced. Since nobody has tried all of the possibilities, I thought that the only way to come to some conclusion in selecting the "best" 10" stock replacement sub would be to compare the theil/small parameters of some of the most popular models mentioned in various subwoofer threads in this forum and from the 'net. It goes without saying that your wiring configuration/amp power will need to work with these in order to make a valid comparison.

Most will agree that a high Qts, Low Fs, and high Xmax are the most important qualifications for a good IB/Freeair sub. This list is hopefully accurate, but certainly not complete. Feel free to add drivers that you find that stack up well with those listed. Maybe the mods can edit my post with new info so we can keep it tidy and all in one place.

-------------------------------------------------

Soundstream Exact 10

FREQ. RESPONSE (Hz) : 25 - 1.7k

Fs (Hz) : 30

Qes: 0.4

Qms: 12.87

Qts: 0.332

Vas (Ft3) : 1.117

Xmax (INCHES) 0.51

SPL (dB) : 89.6

HOLE SIZE (INCHES) : 925

WOOFER DEPTH (INCHES) : 5.3

RECOMMENDED ENCLOSURE (Ft3) : 0.5/0.75

RECOMMENDED ENCLOSURE TYPE : Sealed/Vented

Free Air

-------------------------------------------------

Elemental Design e1OO.44 / 14

T / S Parameters

Qts : 0.59

Qes : 0.76

Qms : 2.69

Vas : 20.5 L

Sd : 0.0312 m^2

XMag : 18.3 mm

XSus : 21.1 mm

XMax : 18.3 mm

MMd : 128 g

Re : 2.39 ohm

Fs : 32.3 Hz

Bl : 11.36

Mounting Depth : 5.5" (139 mm)

---------------------------------------------

JL Audio 10IB4

Fs 37.5 Hz

Qts .769

XMax .3"

Mounting Depth 5.69"

8 ohms

Vas 2.93 cu ft

------------------------------------------

Kicker Freeair F10c

Fs 32.4

Qts .407

XMax 7.7mm

Monting Depth ?

4 ohms

Vas 2.88 cu ft

-----------------------------------------

Image Dynamics ID10 4

Fs 30 Hz

Qts .42

Xmax 10mm

Vas 2.89

4 ohms

Mounting Depth 4.625"

------------------------------------------

Pioneer TSW-254?

--------------------------------------------

Assuming price or mounting isn't an issue, the driver that looks like

it fits my needs is the Elemental Design e1OO.44 / 14 so far. Maybe

someone who has info about the Pioneer Freeair can add the t/s

info.

Very nice mikee. *bows*

I'd would have loved to get one of the eDs, SoundStreams, or Image Dynamics.

I even looked at the JL (even though I think JL is way overpriced).

Only problem is that the 10IB4 was discontinued, and the others are just expensive and difficult to locate.

When I make the money, I might go for the eD with a SOundStream amp.

Thanks, Sport, you've put so much effort into this thread that I felt like it's my duty to do the same for the sake of all SC owners. If you want to PM me the t/s for the RF you're using, I'll add it to my chart.

Believe it or not, the eD is only ~$180. For the anticipated low-end advantage over the others in IB situations, I think it's money well spent. I'm not a believer in maga-watt amps, since double the power only gets you an extra 3dB, so I'll be saving money there. With the stock setup, I only turn the Bass up to 1/2-3/4 anyway. These cars are so quiet, I have little reason to go above say, 100dB anyway. I just want accurate, full-range sound. I'll probably be upgrading to A/D/S 6 1/2's about the same time as I do the sub. That will determine whether or not I need more power, and/or more control over crossover points/slopes.

i put the rf sub in yesterday. It fits perfectly and makes my stock sub look ridiculous. the stock sub was very brittle as was that back panel...i guess 11 years will take its told some how. anyways the amp hasn't come yet so i am just running it off the stock wires and i can't really tell a difference at all which comes as no surprise but just incase someone was curious... i'll keep ya posted

mikee72 ---

i have the pics, but can't figure out how to post them on this forum (new here), when i try and add an image, it asks for a url to the pic, but doesn't give the option of grabbing them off of my local machine...if you can help me figure this out..i will post them!

I'm not a believer in maga-watt amps, since double the power only gets you an extra 3dB

Not sure what you mean here.

I used to compete with my Camaro and when I went from a 600 watt amp to a 1000 watt, my dB jumped by over 10.

The SC doesn't need a system that pounds.

It just needs somehting a little stronger than stock.

I've achieved the balance where it sounds rich inside the car, and there's no noise outside the car.

I'd love to have one of those eDs and a SoundStream amp but with my current financial situation, that's not an option.

I'm thinking anything over 300 watts RMS would be too loud in the SC.

• 2 weeks later...

ok....ive read the entire thread and all i can see is talk about a 10" stock subwoofer....i have a 92 300 and i checked with someone at good guys and he said it was an 8"....i havent taken of the grille to check myself but can anyone tell me if there is a possibility my stock subwoofer is only an 8"?

• 7 months later...
SQ = sound quality

SPL = sound pressure level (big loud boooom)

the problem with our cars is that theres that huge freakin gas tank right under the sub so it leaves little room for the sub. what you need to do to get the best sound is take the stock sub out and just leave the hole open. have a 12" sub put in a box and have it in your trunk (this does not take up much room). i have a 12" boston pro series subwoofer hooked up to a Alpine MRD-300 amp pushin about 400watts. the car is filled with a good clean bass. you can also replace the stock sub with a 10" infinity kappa sub, but you must MUST get a new amp for the sub.  unfortunatly to get a good sounding system you must replace the whole freakin thing. I suggest going with a alpine headunit and alpine amps. and boston acoustic speakers and a boston sub. that will be your best soundquality set up you can buy from any store. now if you want to spend alot of money and get the BEST system. i suggest still an alpine head unit(best head units out there no questions asked), sound stream amps, CDT audio euro component speakers, and a XXX sub or a elemental design sub. but your looking at a $10,000-$15,000 sound system. and if your willing to spend that much check out the Alpine F1 status system.

low bass requires a larger surface area on the sub. low frequency will always be more apparent on 12" sub over a 10", just like a 15" will hit lower than at 12". 18" subs just hurt like hell when they are turned up loud. every sub will sound better in a box over free air. but i cant stress enough. DAMPEN YOUR CAR!!! check out second skin, they have awsome sound dampners for your car. it will make all the rattles in your car go away, it will kill road noise, engine noise, people out side wont be able to hear your sub (unless you roll down the windows), and it really does improve the quality of sound.

HAHAHAHA more like $2000

• 4 months later...

Hey, i realize this is an old old thread, but i was wondering if any of you guys could help me by recommending a replacement of the stock stereo system in my dad's 92' Nakamichi SC400. I'm not very experienced with stereo systems..

I really prefer the car to look as stock as possible, except for the stereo deck. I know the car has a 2.5 DIN-chassis, so i think im looking for a 1-DIN deck with a 1.5 DIN slot to cover the empty space.

As for the speakers, I really have no clue as to which will fit the car without much modifications to the original speaker brackets.

The amp, also i dont really know much about, but it seems that wiring the amp is pretty complicated, I think someone said that I had to use both the stock amp and an aftermarket one.

The sub, I think i might go for the rockford fosgate P110S4 as earlier mentioned in this thread, but any other recommendations would be nice. I hope the P110S4 will fit in the stock location without hitting the gas tank underneath.

I'm trying to get him a decent stereo system as a gift because he works so hard and almost never rewards himself. I'll probably buy most of the system on eBay, since I got some pretty cheap stuff there for my car. (but dont think just because i have a system in my car that i know how to install it, i had someone else install my system.) If you need more information so you can better understand which setup would be better, please let me know, and thanks a bunch!!

'92 LS400 owner thinking about updating standard premium audio system (NO CD changer) to a Nakamaichi audio system with cd changer.  After reading all the posts re the stock subwoofer not putting out out good volume I am doubtful about useing a stock 10" Nak subwoofer and subwoofer amp.  Of all the posts SC300 seems to have found a way to get the deep bass and volume that I'm also looking for.  I was thinking of doing it myself but now wonder if I would be better off going to a very good mobile audio shop to have the Nakamichi system installed.  I want to stay with the Nakamichi head unit and cd changer and use aftermarket for the rest of the system (subwoofer amp/subwoofer).  Also considering aftermarket for the door speakers.  I'v been told that the '90-'92 Nakamichi head unit contains the amp for the door speakers and the wiring is compatable with my present speaker wires.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Four Door ('92 LS400)

It's been about one year since I replaced the Lexus Pioneer am/fm/casette system in my '92 Ls400 with a stock Lexus Nak cd system which included door speakers, head unit, cd changer, amp and subwoofer. My goal was to keep the LS400 interior appearance stock and few if any head units would be able to match the elegant appearance of the original head unit IMO. No doubt their are better sounding audio systems but after a lot of thought I decided that the LS400 audio system is still very good by all standards and it would not be worth the trouble and expense to make serious modifications for dubious results. Re the subwoofer my guess is that the Lexus designers took into consideration that passengers sitting in the rear seat would be able to listen to the audio system with a equal balance of speakers including the subwoofer. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing "upgrades" but you might want to give it some serious thought before you do it and make things reversable since I doubt few people would be interested in purchasing a preowned Lexus with a "aftermarket" audio system. Four Door

• 2 months later...

When I bought my 92 SC400 the sub was missing from the vehicle. I have a Alpline head unit and am looking for a sub to fit in the whole. For a while (prolly a year or more) I am not going to get a amp just run the sub to the outlet n the deck and have only the 50 watts going to it.. also i need to replace the 2 back speakers. I would like to know what type of speakers would be the best. keep in mind they are only going to have 50watts a peice rms. Thanks