'97 Es300 Timing Belt

I plan to change my timing belt in the next month or so. In addition to changing the timing belt, I plan to change the water pump, #1 and #2 idler pully, timing belt tensioner, crankshaft and cam seals.

My question is on the crankshaft and cam seals, do I access those by taking off the timing belt cover 3? How hard is it to change these?

Thanks!

spot19,

You give the impression that this will be your first timing belt install. If that is the case, you may be biting off more than is wise. If you are going to help someone else who is knowledgeable and has done many of these type installs before, that would be wiser.

For instance, crank seals can't be removed or replaced until the gear for the timing belt is removed. On some cars ( many a 90-96 Nissan 300zx, for instance) they won't come off unless they are cut off the crank and a new crank gear installed after the seal is replaced. If not replaced properly and the seal leaks, it will destroy the timing belt in a short period of time.

Timing belt installs require that the cam shaft timing be spot on for the engine to fire, and that the cam gear be locked in position until the belt tensioner is properly set up. And so on.

As I said, if you've done many of these before, by all means tackle the job yourself. If not ...... it would be wiser to let an expert at least oversee your work, before you replace the covers and replace the coolant and fire the car for the first time. Good Luck!

I plan to change my timing belt in the next month or so. In addition to changing the timing belt, I plan to change the water pump, #1 and #2 idler pully, timing belt tensioner, crankshaft and cam seals.

My question is on the crankshaft and cam seals, do I access those by taking off the timing belt cover 3? How hard is it to change these?

Thanks!

I did the timming belt and water pump in my 1997 lexus es 300 myslef and it took me something like 12 hours to do.

the problems i ran into was i could not get the cam sprockets off to remove the plate behind them which also covers part of the water pump.

I tried eveything to get the sprockets off with no luck.

i ended up cutting the cover with a dremel tool so i could get the water pump out. but the studs were so long it hit the frame rail. i had to disconect the motor mounts so i could jack the engine up just enought to slip the water pump out.

But i did get it done and it was my first time. just make sure you have a service manual when you did it. If you do not i can email you the info you need to get it done

Matt

Thanks!

I did the timming belt and water pump in my 1997 lexus es 300 myslef and it took me something like 12 hours to do.

the problems i ran into was i could not get the cam sprockets off to remove the plate behind them which also covers part of the water pump.

i ended up cutting the cover with a dremel tool so i could get the water pump out. but the studs were so long it hit the frame rail. i had to disconect the motor mounts so i could jack the engine up just enought to slip the water pump out.

But i did get it done and it was my first time. just make sure you have a service manual when you did it. If you do not i can email you the info you need to get it done

Matt

Thanks for the reply Matt. I have the factory service manual, so I think I am good there. Also, I have changed timing belts in the past, just not on this car...in fact, I have not done much of anything on this car. When you did this, did you replace the cam and crank seals too? While I have everything open down there, I want to try and do as much of the little things that I can to avoid any issues in the future.

I also planned on the whole weekend to get this done...so I should be good there. Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks!

Matt

Thanks for the reply Matt. I have the factory service manual, so I think I am good there. Also, I have changed timing belts in the past, just not on this car...in fact, I have not done much of anything on this car. When you did this, did you replace the cam and crank seals too? While I have everything open down there, I want to try and do as much of the little things that I can to avoid any issues in the future.

I also planned on the whole weekend to get this done...so I should be good there. Thanks again for the reply.

I did not replace any seals. They were not leaking so i left them alone. I did mine about a year ago when my car reached 100k i have put about 30K on with no problems.

The only problem i had durring the job was the cam sprockets. i was never able to get them off.