Opinion On Remanuf. Parts

waf102

Gotta make this short.

Replaced alternator in 1990 Lexus ls400 back in Feb. It crapped out and killed my batter on the 4th of July...when I was FAR from home.

Local shop tried to screw me with a $1000 starter job (???). Towed car home...

I really don't feel comfortable getting my free replacement alternator from Autozone (it was a Duralast with Limited Life).

I'm limited as far as time and options.

I can get a manufactured CarQuest alternator for $183. Guy said the components are new...I asked about electronics...he said yes, those too. (Remaned by a Co. called ERE)

Anyone have experience or an opinion? I'm between jobs...can't afford a new. But I can't afford to break down on a way to a job interview either!

THANKS!

Gotta make this short.

Replaced alternator in 1990 Lexus ls400 back in Feb. It crapped out and killed my batter on the 4th of July...when I was FAR from home.

Local shop tried to screw me with a $1000 starter job (???). Towed car home...

I really don't feel comfortable getting my free replacement alternator from Autozone (it was a Duralast with Limited Life).

I'm limited as far as time and options.

I can get a manufactured CarQuest alternator for $183. Guy said the components are new...I asked about electronics...he said yes, those too. (Remaned by a Co. called ERE)

Anyone have experience or an opinion? I'm between jobs...can't afford a new. But I can't afford to break down on a way to a job interview either!

THANKS!

Hey-

I have a 1990 LS400 also. I replaced my alternator a few months ago. I used a Bosch W0133-1602536. It has functioned perfectly and was easy to install. It cost me under $150 shipped. (search for the part online and then search for some sort of coupon code etc for wherever you decide to buy... I got free shipping and $10 off doing so) I did have to pay a core deposit although it was credited back to me reasonably quickly.

Replacement was pretty straightforward. I used this site to give some pointers: http://www.lextreme.com/alternator.html

When you are taking out the old alternator, make sure the steering pump is not leaking fluid onto the alternator... this is a classic cause of alternator failure on these cars.

I think that covers it. Sorry to hear you had trouble. Good luck getting it fixed.

Let's face it a remanufactured alternator is mostly OEM. The castings, stator, windings are generally reused. A rebuilder cleans up a returned core, presses in new bearings, resurfaces rotor contact rings on a lathe to clean them up, tests diode bank, tests regulator block, replaces rotor brushes.

So with a rebuilt being a fraction of the cost of a complete new OEM unit I think those cost savings are hard to pass up.

Let's face it a remanufactured alternator is mostly OEM. The castings, stator, windings are generally reused. A rebuilder cleans up a returned core, presses in new bearings, resurfaces rotor contact rings on a lathe to clean them up, tests diode bank, tests regulator block, replaces rotor brushes.

So with a rebuilt being a fraction of the cost of a complete new OEM unit I think those cost savings are hard to pass up.

That has been my though. But with a little effort new ones can be had for a little more. Way less than what I have spend just towing my car back home...

I can't believe they don't replace the electronics. Woop-tee-doo...they test them. How much life has been used up already?

Based on my brief investigation, the Duralast stuff seems to get a lot of complaints. Still, it may be a good value for a population - most will win - but I lost a lot more than if I would have bought an after-market new. And not just money...time.

Thanks for the comments...

-Bill

P.S. Remanuf. parts could be great...but companies will cut every corner to increase profit (not that I hate profit). I have worked in those environments. Lots of customers get screwed. Short term gain (best margin on crappy product) vs. long term loss (customers don't want to come back or bad word of mouth).

I have come to think that "Limited Life Time Warranty" translates to "Good luck sucker!"

If you can get a new Alternator for only slightly more than rebuilt I'd do that. Toyota quality control is legendary but rebuilder would not come close.

That said parts.com has a unit $211.63 which if its new and OEM seems a very fair price for the complete unit. I just wonder if it’s a rebuilt and not mentioned. I thought new these were closer to $850.

If you can get a new Alternator for only slightly more than rebuilt I'd do that. Toyota quality control is legendary but rebuilder would not come close.

That said parts.com has a unit $211.63 which if its new and OEM seems a very fair price for the complete unit. I just wonder if it’s a rebuilt and not mentioned. I thought new these were closer to $850.

I have come across a "Premium NEW" model from Carquest for just under $200. This not there "OE" model...nor is it their "Proven VALU" model (there remanuf. version). It appears to rank in the middle.

I am assuming that it will be the best price/performance choice if I go that way. Has to better than these Duralasts (famous last words, eh?)

I don't buy exchange reman alternators or starters - ever. I take the component to a local auto electric firm that specializes in rebuilding these components. It's all they do, and they are good at it.

No one builds the starter and alternators except Denso, specifically for these cars. Anyone can claim to "rebuild" them. I only trust this company because I can talk to the guy that rebuilds them!

He did a Ferrari starter for me a while back. If you think the LS starter is tough to get at, think again. Eight hours, in and out on a Daytona. New starter, old stock was $2200.00 US. I had this company rebuild the original starter for $240.00 Canadian funds. Perfect. Even looked new and stock.

So stop messing with goofball rebuilds and find a local company that does them properly. Might even cost a bit more, but it will be worth it.

When I replaced the PS pump on the LS there was oil on the alternator. I took it to this firm and they installed a set of brushes and checked it out. $50.00 all in. The guy said "It's a Denso - all that fails are the brushes, slip rings and bearings are perfect. Just brushes because the oil softened them".

I like work like that.

I don't buy exchange reman alternators or starters - ever. I take the component to a local auto electric firm that specializes in rebuilding these components. It's all they do, and they are good at it.

No one builds the starter and alternators except Denso, specifically for these cars. Anyone can claim to "rebuild" them. I only trust this company because I can talk to the guy that rebuilds them!

He did a Ferrari starter for me a while back. If you think the LS starter is tough to get at, think again. Eight hours, in and out on a Daytona. New starter, old stock was $2200.00 US. I had this company rebuild the original starter for $240.00 Canadian funds. Perfect. Even looked new and stock.

So stop messing with goofball rebuilds and find a local company that does them properly. Might even cost a bit more, but it will be worth it.

When I replaced the PS pump on the LS there was oil on the alternator. I took it to this firm and they installed a set of brushes and checked it out. $50.00 all in. The guy said "It's a Denso - all that fails are the brushes, slip rings and bearings are perfect. Just brushes because the oil softened them".

I like work like that.

I was in the auto repair (mechanical) for 35 years, and ALWAYS used a local rebuilder for starters & alternators, with amazing results. A guy from Germany (Fritz) and we grew old together, only problem is I had a head start on him (age wise)

so find an independent and stay out of the parts houses.....

If the failure is just the brushes then this is simple enough to do on your own. I just wasn't sure if PS fluid was a problem for bearings too.

Brush change is DIY in my mind. No need to take it somewhere. Just be sure rotor contacts rings are not all scored up or brushes will wear prematurely and possibly limit full current to the rotor field.

Let's not confuse who sells them and who rebuilds them. Duralast and Carqwest are just resellers. There is some wholesale rebuilder behind the scenes doing this work. If they use OEM bearings, brushes and have sound equipment to machine rotor contacts then such rebuilds aren't rocket science. If though they play games and skip the bearing replacement or put in inferior bearings and brushes then I agree stay away. Far far away.