Sc400 Megan Racing Exhaust

Hey everyone I just put on the Megan N1 turbos. I drove from NYC all the way to PA for them. I am not happy with the sound or performance. Here is what I did. I did 2 1/2 inch straight pipes fron the cats back. I removed the sub cat and the resinators. I did two pipes straight back no Y pipe or x pipe. I think I lost alot of back pressure and performance. I am not happy with the sound at all it farts at high RPM'S. How can I get max performance and best sound out of these mufflers? Thanks in advance.

Here's the deal. I started the 2.50 piping at the two cats near the headers. I am looking for an import tuner sound not that heavy chevy rumble that I have now. I gain a little bit of power when I put the silencer's in why is that?

Here's the deal. I started the 2.50 piping at the two cats near the headers. I am looking for an import tuner sound not that heavy chevy rumble that I have now. I gain a little bit of power when I put the silencer's in why is that?

Because exhaust isn't just about the amount of air you can move, but how well the air flows thru it. You can't just piece together an exhaust system if you don't know what your doing and expect a certian result. You have to tune your exhaust to work with your goals, and know what components and configurations will produce more torque, better flow, and sound. Which by the way is sometimes a compromise.

Are you running stock headers? What diameter are the headers? If you are running stock headers, then I would think you should put the x pipe back on, and match the diameter of your piping to the diameter of the header. Unless your running forced induction, or increased your RPM's, your already getting enouph exhaust flow. The stock headers are tuned to the exhaust valves. The sonic wave traveling down the pipe is what moves the air out faster. Imagine wind chimes being struck. The larger the metal tube, the lower the note it makes. The smaller the tube, the higher the note. That sound is caused by vibrations, and how fast those vibrations are moving. Faster vibrations create higher pitches and slower vibrations are obviuosly lower. Your exhaust system works much the same way, only it uses the sound vibrations to carry the air out. So maintaining the same diameter has it's benifits. Then I would look for a smaller canister mufflers to give you the sound you want. And before you think that a smaller muffler will create more back pressure, it won't. The baffles inside a muffler are what create more backpressure and keep the exhaust quieter. You can still get a full flow canister, just look for smaller ones.

It's probably good that you didn't like the results. Just deleting the x pipe could result in burning up your exhaust valves. Going to a true dual system takes knowing what your doing. The X pipe balances the exhaust flow, and meters it. They didn't put that x pipe on there in the first place with out a good reason.

honestly there is not much you can do to get the car not to sound like a chevy v8. reason 1 is because it is a v8. reason 2 is it has the same firing order as a chevy v8. of course bore and stroke have alot to do with it but why does an f355 sound the way it does? firing order plays a big part. the 1uz and chevy small blocks both have a 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order. the f355 fires 1-5-3-7-4-8-2-6.

Thanks guys! Iwent and put an x pipe in and boy does the exhaust sound great. I got all of my power back and I think I added a couple of horses on top of it. I am running stock headers. From the exhaust manifold I have the stock cats then I started the 2.50 inch straight pipe . Replaced the first Y with an x pipe and then all straight from there with resonator's removed. The exhaust is real deep the whole way through the rpm's.

• 2 weeks later...
honestly there is not much you can do to get the car not to sound like a chevy v8. reason 1 is because it is a v8. reason 2 is it has the same firing order as a chevy v8. of course bore and stroke have alot to do with it but why does an f355 sound the way it does? firing order plays a big part. the 1uz and chevy small blocks both have a 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order. the f355 fires 1-5-3-7-4-8-2-6.

hmm so to get my sc4 to sound like a f355 I should get it to fire in that order?!?!??!

Naw just messing with you man. Personally I dont think the chevy v8's sound all that bad. But I love my lex more!