"drive By Wire" Accelerator Pedal?

K9crew

I haven't had a chance to examine the accelerator on my LS and was wondering if it's a "drive by wire" set up. If so, does anyone have any specs on the voltage range from "off" to all the way "on"? I can't find anything in the manual (CD version) about the accelerator but I think mine needs cleaning or something. It's hard to modulate the pedal in traffic and I'm experiencing a significant delay when I hit the pedal to get around someone ... nothing happens for a second or two and then ... VROOM ... it goes.

Thanks

:)

K9 I don't know if there is an elctronic throttle or not. Did you look around the accelerator pedal to see what kind of hardware it looked like? Maybe something like a gum wrapper or something got stuck under there. I agree that something is wrong because my car always seems very easy to modulate. Hopefully, it's just a sticky throttle cable (if it's not fly-by-the-wire).

What I would do is take it to the dealer and tell them the symptoms. Pay them to do the analysis and at that point make a determination if you want to do it yourself or say what the hell and pay them to do the repair. Sometimes time is more valuable then money.

Good luck dog

denny,

Thanks for the help! I just got home and checked the accelerator ... it has a throttle cable! This weekend I'll see if the cable needs lubricating or if the throttle body is gummed up. The TPS (throttle position sensor) could be acting up as well and I think the manual has a procedure for testing that.

It shouldn't have a throttle cable LOL, your generation LS SHOULD be throttle by wire. Are you sure thats what you're looking at?

What you're describing is normal, its the way the car is supposed to operate, all Lexus throttle by wire systems behave this way. Nothing you're going to be able to do about it. Running the car in ECT PWR mode helps...

SW03ES,

There's no question that my LS has a throttle cable running from the accelerator through the firewall to the engine!! I haven't removed the plastic engine cover so I don't know how it's attached to the throttle body or if there's an adjustment "feature". I remember someone in the SC forum mentioning that his throttle cable had quite a bit of slack in it. Once he adjusted it the accelerator was more responsive.

No offense intended but I hope you're wrong about the delayed response being "normal". I'm going to tinker with the cable this weekend as well as check the TPS.

1. This is a normal condition on lexus. When you are on the gas, your shift logic will activate. The ecu will !Removed! your timing so you will have that smooth launch(this is not a race car).

2. The fly by wire started in 2001 on the LS430. The magnet will control your throttle body. NO more cable.

3. Please check your ATF to see if it's low.

4. I'm glad it's the weekend :cheers:

www.jpimportz.org

JPI and SW03ES,

Thanks for the help. I checked the trans fluid last week ... it's at the high mark and was changed 15K miles ago. As for the delay, there's nothing "normal" about it. The way it is at the moment is dangerous. It almost reminds me of a VW Jetta that I had back in '89. The delay/hesitation was traced to a faulty O2 sensor. One of the O2 sensors was replaced on this car at around 50K miles because of a driveability problem reported by the original owner. I'll check through the records to find the exact problem.