Where Do You Mount Your E-z Pass?

Hi,

Newbie. Will be picking up a '07 LS460L in a few days. In the northeast region of the USA we have a pay toll system call E-ZPass. (Not sure if I am allow to post a link to the site). A square box (tag) approximate 3X3 inches electronic device is used for toll collection on highways allowing you to go through marked lanes without stopping. The tag is normally mounted behind the rear view mirror. Are there any sensors on the back of the rear view mirror? If so, anyone that is currently using a E-Z pass, where do you mount your tag?

Happy to be part of this forum. Even more anxious to pick up my vehicle in a few days.

TIA

Does the LS460 you're buying have lane keep assist? Thats the only other sensor I could think of.

My advice? You actually probably can leave the EZPass in the glove box. Mine is mounted in the Lexus but my wife refuses to let me mount one in her car, and its in the glove box and always works. They also have a small exterior one that mounts to the front license plate screws.

Wow, I'm getting a response from one of the long time member of this forum. I am truly honor. I guess I am a little overly anxious and best to wait for the owner's manual and read through it. Though I have been reading parts of it online on the Lexus owner's web site. I had occasion to borrow my daughter's BMW 335xi and the EZ-Pass was kept in the front middle storage compartment and when I approached the Holland Tunnel toll, in the cash lane, the sensors detected the device. She can't mount her's because behind the bimmer rear view mirror is the rain sensors. Of course it could mounted off to the side, but then it'll look real ugly. I know about the exterior ones then again will it interfere with any sensors in that area? Just have to wait a couple more days to find out.

Tex,

Thanks for your reply. But, I will be getting a LS 460. So maybe there are sensors there that are not on your IS 250. Just wanted to make sure before I mount the tag onto the velcro strips. But I do appreciate your feedback.

I saw what car you are getting. But other than auto dimming mirror and rain sensing wipers, I don't know of any other sensor in a front windshield. Lane assist should be on the side of the car.

My advice? You actually probably can leave the EZPass in the glove box. Mine is mounted in the Lexus but my wife refuses to let me mount one in her car, and its in the glove box and always works. They also have a small exterior one that mounts to the front license plate screws.

This is what I did when I had a loaner, and when I held it up approaching the toll, it didn't register, and a ticket was mailed to the Lexus dealer, and forwarded to me. It was reversed, since I had an EZ Pass account, but it was an annoyance to deal with.

If it doesn't register when its your car though they will just debit your account from your license plate.

The LKA is in the center of the car behind the rearview mirror, not on the side.

Premium, I'm happy to help ;)

SW03ES,

Thanks for your help. I have read many of your postings on this forum. Can't wait, will pick up the vehicle tomorrow. I will experiment and put my EZ-Pass by the driver door handle well and also in the center storage compartment and see if the sensors picks it up as I go through various tolls. If the green "go" light don't come on then I will just have to put the tag up on the dash. Hopefully I will be able to locate a ideal place so that I won't have to mount it on the window behind the rear view mirror.

I will have a lot of reading, owner's manual, tomorrow night. Baby, it's going to be a exciting weekend.

Thanks again for your help on behalf the the entire Lexus forum.

I know where I'd like to mount mine, everytime it doesn't work and I have to pay that $.80 cents at the next stop...but I hear Cook County Jail ain't the place for this Blues Brother to be hangin' out these days...

• 3 weeks later...

order the license plate mounted regardless, then either put it on your license plate or if you are like me and you have a clear cover over your license plate (keep my plate nice and new and shiney) simple put the ezpass on your dashboard as you go thru and then put it away or it might even work in the center console.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Since I have had to move my ezpass units from car to car, I no longer have the Velcro strips to attach them to the windshield so now they are just laying on the corner of the dashboard. After about 10 years they send you a new unit with new strips otherwise I have no Ida where to obtain them. I use painters tape to hold the passes from sliding on the dashboard.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2010 LS460. Yes, any sensors you have are in the middle of the windshield around RV mirror. I stuck velcro for EZ pass to the left of Rain sensor film (when you sit in driver seat looking out). It works fine. For my 2002 LS430, which is traded in recently, I had it in the middle where Rain sensor film is and it always worked.