Rx400h Oil Change Diy (with Pics)

There's an oil change DIY for an RX330 here

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=21979

but I think the underside of the 400h is a bit different (either that or I'm missing a really big splash shield - can someone confirm if the underside of their 400h looks the same as mine, please (i.e just the one splash shield that hides the oil filter, unlike the 330 which has two splash shields - one for the oil pan drain bolt and one for the filter). Thanks.

So, assuming my RX is not missing a splash shield, here's a quick DIY (note that I didn't actually drain the oil or remove the filter, as I had just done that recently but hadn't taken pictures)

1. Remove the underbody splash shield (there are eight 10mm bolts and two plastic clips)

Four bolts here - post-94827-1247533097_thumb.jpg

Two bolts and one plastic clip one the left and right side of the shield - driver side - post-94827-1247533329_thumb.jpg - passenger side - post-94827-1247533389_thumb.jpg

2. Remove oil pan drain bolt (here is where I 'think' we don't have a plastic shield and the RX330 does and let oil drain into drain pan (not the sewer or side of the road)

post-94827-1247533814_thumb.jpg post-94827-1247533837_thumb.jpg

3. Move drain pan to under filter and remove filter. If your pan is big enough, you can remove filter while the oil is still dribbling out of the oil pan

post-94827-1247533994_thumb.jpg

Notice those crafty Japanese engineers have added a drain channel thingamajig to direct the oil that will leak out when you remove the filter. This helps prevent oil from running all down the outside of the engine.

4. No pics for this next part as I had done the oil change before taking the pictures, but screw on a new oil filter (make sure you use a bit of fresh oil on your finger to lubricate the rubber gasket on the new filter. Also make sure that the old filter still has it's gasket on. If it's not, it's stuck to the oil filter mount on the engine and your new filter will leak.

5. Reinstall the drain pain plug (don't forget the gasket - I didn't replace mine, but I should have)

6. Refill with 5 quarts of your choice of oil. The oil fill hole is hard to reach with the inverter assembly in the way (the thing that has the fancy "Hybrid Synergy Drive" cover on it). Use a longish funnel and please note the following TSBs

-cylinder head oil baffle caution when adding oil - L_SB_0021_08.pdf

5w20 approved for 2006 (and onwards I would assume) engines (MZ included - this is the RX series engine - EG006_06.pdf

I currently have 5w30 synthetic in the engine but plan to switch to 5w20 synthetic in the summer and 0w20 synthetic in the winter. My current oil of preference is Pennzoil Platinum.

Miscellaneous - in case anyone was wondering this thing is the temperature sensor (to tell you the outside temp)

post-94827-1247535758_thumb.jpg

After removing the splash shield a few times, I have found it much quicker and easier to just to remove the filter from the top. With some practice, it can even be done with the engine hot without burning oneself.

There's an oil change DIY for an RX330 here

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=21979

but I think the underside of the 400h is a bit different (either that or I'm missing a really big splash shield - can someone confirm if the underside of their 400h looks the same as mine, please (i.e just the one splash shield that hides the oil filter, unlike the 330 which has two splash shields - one for the oil pan drain bolt and one for the filter). Thanks.

So, assuming my RX is not missing a splash shield, here's a quick DIY (note that I didn't actually drain the oil or remove the filter, as I had just done that recently but hadn't taken pictures)

1. Remove the underbody splash shield (there are eight 10mm bolts and two plastic clips)

Four bolts here - post-94827-1247533097_thumb.jpg

Two bolts and one plastic clip one the left and right side of the shield - driver side - post-94827-1247533329_thumb.jpg - passenger side - post-94827-1247533389_thumb.jpg

2. Remove oil pan drain bolt (here is where I 'think' we don't have a plastic shield and the RX330 does and let oil drain into drain pan (not the sewer or side of the road)

post-94827-1247533814_thumb.jpg post-94827-1247533837_thumb.jpg

3. Move drain pan to under filter and remove filter. If your pan is big enough, you can remove filter while the oil is still dribbling out of the oil pan

post-94827-1247533994_thumb.jpg

Notice those crafty Japanese engineers have added a drain channel thingamajig to direct the oil that will leak out when you remove the filter. This helps prevent oil from running all down the outside of the engine.

4. No pics for this next part as I had done the oil change before taking the pictures, but screw on a new oil filter (make sure you use a bit of fresh oil on your finger to lubricate the rubber gasket on the new filter. Also make sure that the old filter still has it's gasket on. If it's not, it's stuck to the oil filter mount on the engine and your new filter will leak.

5. Reinstall the drain pain plug (don't forget the gasket - I didn't replace mine, but I should have)

6. Refill with 5 quarts of your choice of oil. The oil fill hole is hard to reach with the inverter assembly in the way (the thing that has the fancy "Hybrid Synergy Drive" cover on it). Use a longish funnel and please note the following TSBs

-cylinder head oil baffle caution when adding oil -

5w20 approved for 2006 (and onwards I would assume) engines (MZ included - this is the RX series engine - EG006_06.pdf

I currently have 5w30 synthetic in the engine but plan to switch to 5w20 synthetic in the summer and 0w20 synthetic in the winter. My current oil of preference is Pennzoil Platinum.

Miscellaneous - in case anyone was wondering this thing is the temperature sensor (to tell you the outside temp)

post-94827-1247535758_thumb.jpg

After removing the slash shield a few times, I have found it much quicker and easier to just to remove the filter from the top. With some practice, it can even be done with the engine hot without burning oneself.

How do you catch the oil that runs out when you take off the filter? Doesn't it run down into the splash shield?

Thanks.

I've done three oil changes myself now, and found it to be fairly easy. A few comments:

1. There is only one splash shield to remove on a 400h.

2. Changing from the top or bottom is somewhat a matter of preference to me at this point. I have tried both. I find the mismatched fasteners on the splash shield to be annoying so I will probably continue to access the filter from the top from now on.

3. R&Ring the oil filter is much easier if you use a brand of filter that is compatible with a spanner type oil filter wrench.

4. The oil channel thing works pretty darn well--GM would never have spent the extra buck to add one to any of its vehicles.

5. Any typical drain pan catches the oil filter drip-down and a little wiping with a rag from both top and bottom cleans things up pretty well. Thjere is a bit of a well at the back corner of the drain chanel which holds a bit of oil. If you don't get it wipes fairly clean it will probably contribute to future oil spray around the engine from windage.

6. I would not do this with a warm engine. It ain't necessary and it's just harder.

7. It is easy to overflow oil down the engine when refilling if your funnel or extension tube gets too close to the internal baffle. Pour slowly and watch for overflow. Don't ask me how I know.

Tom

• Like 1

I NEVER take off the splash shield. Absolutely unnecessary. Make sure you use a filter with an anti-backflow valve and you'll keep nearly all the oil in the filter. In fact it's difficult to even drain those filters. I have to turn it upside down and puncture the backside with a nail so atmosphere will push the oil out. When I unscrew the filter I immediately flip it over and take it out the top on the left side of the exhaust header. No spills to speak of.

I NEVER take off the splash shield. Absolutely unnecessary. Make sure you use a filter with an anti-backflow valve and you'll keep nearly all the oil in the filter. In fact it's difficult to even drain those filters. I have to turn it upside down and puncture the backside with a nail so atmosphere will push the oil out. When I unscrew the filter I immediately flip it over and take it out the top on the left side of the exhaust header. No spills to speak of.

The antidrainback valve keeps oil up inside the engine. It stops oil from draining down through the filter and into the oil pan. When I unscrew my filter, oil runs out from the upper engine as well as the oil filter. Why else would Lexus have the oil drain thingy under the filter mount. I don't see how you can unscrew the filter and not have oil run out from the engine. Are you sure it's not running into the catch tray thingy and down along the engine block etc. (maybe ending up in the splash shield?

• 1 month later...

I don't remove the shield, just remove the screws so I can reach up and loosen/remove the oil filter with a box wrench (the K&N oil filter I use has a welded-on nut that makes removing the filter very easy).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...