Brake Dust Even After Tsb

I had the brake dust technical service bulletin performed on my vehicle under warranty where they replaced the front brake pads with presumably better brake pads as far as dust, but my front wheels still get extremely dirty after only a few days.

Any others have similar problems/issues even after the TSB?

PJStyles

You are not going to get rid of the brake dust. My 09 IS350 starts to show signs of brake dust only after about a week of driving. Supposedly the IS has a high performance high friction brake system. The pads and rotors I think are softer. Which is better than on normal cars but the trade-off is more brake dust. Be glad you don't own a BMW. If you have noticed they are 10x worse with the brake dust. But those suckers will stop on a dime. So you have a few options......wash the wheels daily or get a cheaper car with crappy brakes. But there is a simpler fix....change your driving habits. I notice if you anticipate a stop and start to brake before waiting till the last minute to stop by slamming on the brakes you will help create less dust. Such as letting off the gas sooner when you know you are about to have to stop, or using the steering wheel shifters to up-shift and help the engine stop the car. Try it, it works. But for some reason everyone these days is in such a hurry they feel they will get somewhere faster by waiting until they get 10 feet from a stop light or stop sign to start braking from 70 mph. I wash my car at least 4 times a week so it doesn't bother me.

You wash your car 4 times a week?

Hahaha :lol: I was thinking the exact same thing. I wash my car once a week and I thought that I was being anal about it. Man I wish I had the time for that :rolleyes:

Hell yeah!! My neighbors probably think I’m crazy but hey, I got the nicest, cleanest cars on the block!! Don't forget about the LX470 I wash just as often!! It's 11 years old and everyone I meet thinks it's brand new.

Well an older gentleman up the street from me just bought a old Ferarri Testarossa...so I don't think I'm ever goning to surpass the nicest car on the block no matter how much I wash the dang thing.

Well an older gentleman up the street from me just bought a old Ferarri Testarossa...so I don't think I'm ever goning to surpass the nicest car on the block no matter how much I wash the dang thing.

Aww well i'm sorry. But i'm sure that thing is old as crap. What is it, a 1988? I'm not really into old cars like that. So if you lived on my street i'd still think your Lexus was better than the Ferarri.

You are not going to get rid of the brake dust. My 09 IS350 starts to show signs of brake dust only after about a week of driving. Supposedly the IS has a high performance high friction brake system. The pads and rotors I think are softer. Which is better than on normal cars but the trade-off is more brake dust. Be glad you don't own a BMW. If you have noticed they are 10x worse with the brake dust. But those suckers will stop on a dime. So you have a few options......wash the wheels daily or get a cheaper car with crappy brakes. But there is a simpler fix....change your driving habits. I notice if you anticipate a stop and start to brake before waiting till the last minute to stop by slamming on the brakes you will help create less dust. Such as letting off the gas sooner when you know you are about to have to stop, or using the steering wheel shifters to up-shift and help the engine stop the car. Try it, it works. But for some reason everyone these days is in such a hurry they feel they will get somewhere faster by waiting until they get 10 feet from a stop light or stop sign to start braking from 70 mph. I wash my car at least 4 times a week so it doesn't bother me.

The OP said he had dust problems after having the TSB done. Myself and many others report very little dust with the replacement pads. But then I am a very smooth and anticipatory driver so YMMV.

Yeah, see I wash my car once a week also. And I drive my car like I just don't care! I love late braking a hard turn and a quick down shift and smooth acceleration out. It's why I bought this car. And you can barely see any brake dust at all. And I have polished rims too! So they must have used the standard pad replacements and not the TSB referrenced brake pads.

Yeah, see I wash my car once a week also. And I drive my car like I just don't care! I love late braking a hard turn and a quick down shift and smooth acceleration out. It's why I bought this car. And you can barely see any brake dust at all. And I have polished rims too! So they must have used the standard pad replacements and not the TSB referrenced brake pads.

Yeah, like it's not impossible for them to grab the wrong parts.

Requardless of brake dust, just take ANY LEXUS vehicle to the dealership, and they will wash the car, vacuum the car, wipe down the interior of the car, and gel your tires for free. Anytime you want. I do mine every friday.

Requardless of brake dust, just take ANY LEXUS vehicle to the dealership, and they will wash the car, vacuum the car, wipe down the interior of the car, and gel your tires for free. Anytime you want. I do mine every friday.

Really? Is this subject to the individual dealership, or does Lexus "mandate" it? Also, will they do this after the warranty expires? Does it matter if you purchased ones Lexus at that dealership?

I never let them wash mine. One never knows what one of those yard bird guys is gonna do to their car.

Yeah, I walked over to the detailing bays and looked at the towels they wipe every car down with, I'm pretty sure they came with a grit rating on the package... :rolleyes: And I'm sure all the people that work in that department graduated from car detailing school and are probably paid top dollar over minimum wage coupled with years of experience flippin burgers and mowing lawns.

There's no way on God's green earth would I ever let them touch my car! If you could see the paint finish on my car, and compare it to a car that was "detailed" by a dealer after just 6 months, you would be shocked! :o

Only some dealers will do this.

I never let them wash mine. One never knows what one of those yard bird guys is gonna do to their car.

Yeah, I walked over to the detailing bays and looked at the towels they wipe every car down with, I'm pretty sure they came with a grit rating on the package... :rolleyes: And I'm sure all the people that work in that department graduated from car detailing school and are probably paid top dollar over minimum wage coupled with years of experience flippin burgers and mowing lawns.

There's no way on God's green earth would I ever let them touch my car! If you could see the paint finish on my car, and compare it to a car that was "detailed" by a dealer after just 6 months, you would be shocked! :o

I had the TSB performed and I went from a TON of dust to absolutley NO DUST WHATSOEVER.

I have though noticed that my breaking is not as good as it used to be.

I actually think it is quite noticable..the loss in breaking performance.

Like I said earlier, you guys are trading appearance for performance.

There's no noticeable performance difference unless you are driving balls out on a track or curvy road. Daily and even extra spirited driving won't make any difference at all because you aren't using the full capacity of the brakes anyway and you won't be overheating them.

My friend has the bluey/black IS350 completely stock and only 9K miles on it. I have over 20k miles on mine, and I did the brake dust TSB, he has not. I've driven both. Alot. We have a new road course here in Orlando by Kami Speed. In our last time attack session, I drove my IS350, and then drove his. I used the same brake markers and lines and I couldn't tell the difference. The only difference I felt was the obvious suspension. Mine has alot less nose dive and body roll, which helped make my time almost a full second faster. So, I can only think the "feel" difference is maybe a bit less bite, but overall, the car will still be stopped in about the amount of distance.

• 3 months later...

I have driven over a million miles as a truck driver and I have had the TSB done on a 2007 Lexus IS250 and there is absolutely no difference in stopping power with the new brake pads installed. Anyone that tries to tell you different, does not know what they are talking about.