Nakamichi Amp

Mr. O

hey i have a 1995 sc300 and I've read that the only difference between the Lexus premium sound system and the Nakamichi system is the amp. My fathers lexus has the nakamichi and it sounds 100 times better than my sc's premium sound. I was wondering if i could get that great sound by simply getting the nakamichi amp that was made for my car. If i can does anyone know what the amp namber is, where i can find one and how much it would cost me. Ive seen nakamichi amps on ebay but im not sure if the PA-1004 or 1002 models would be the same or would fit the same way as the one that came stock in the Sc300's with nakamichi. Thank you for any input.

Mr. O

You need to have the Nak headunit and amp. CD changer is the same. You'll also need the Nak sub. Your Pioneer premium sub runs at 1 Ohm. The Nak is MUCH heavier and runs at 5 Ohm. To get the best results, you should also replace the speakers. The Pioneer and Nak speakers are different, although I would just go decent aftermarkets all around. If you can get the headunit, amp and sub for less than $300, I think it would be a good upgrade. For speakers, I recommend Bostons.

sc nak amps are very hard to find . they are great amps but due to location in quarterpanel get water damaged. nak amps cost 475.00 to have rebuilt so used price will probably keep going up until it approximates rebuiding a blown amp. so i wouldnt wait to long to find a working used one. i predict very high value of working nak amps in the future. as far as the upgrade you need to run power off battery as pioneer amp wiring not adequate. also the nak amp is 5 channel and the pioneer amp 4 channel and 1 channel sub amp by the sub . so new wiring has to be run to the 5 ohm nak sub when it is switched with the 1 ohm pioneer sub. other wise the switch over is a relatively easy compared with after market instaltions which are full of problems such as dead batteries and bad vibrations.