Not Running Car For Awhile,how Long Can It Sit?

I'm going to Florence, Italy for nine days and I don't have anyone to drive or start my 06 400h. I think that the manual says seven days is the limit but has anyone had to let their 400h sit unstarted for nine days?...two weeks, without losing the charge on the little battery? I feel that it should be OK but wanted advice. Thanks, Rey

The manual actually says if you're leaving it for 2 weeks or more, have someone start it and leave it in 'READY' mode for about 30 mins. You should be OK for nine days. Just make sure the battery is charged up before you park it.

I left my 2006 400h sitting in my garage in Seattle for 5-6 weeks (for a family emergency). Had no issues. The car was <1 year old at the time. I'm not sure how it would be now.

The manual actually says if you're leaving it for 2 weeks or more, have someone start it and leave it in 'READY' mode for about 30 mins. You should be OK for nine days. Just make sure the battery is charged up before you park it.

The manual has to be extremely on the safe side because of the whole bonkers legal system in the US. I have left my RX standing still for over 2 months without any issues.

Both times that I have left my 2006 RX400h unstarted for more than 5 days the battery has died and needed replacement. I am absolutely certain that no electrical equipment, light, etc. was left on. A day in the Lexus service center checking everything out revealed no abnormalities. The only suggestion they had was to put the headlights in the off rather than automatic position. I can't see why this would have anything to do with anything, though. I think they just wanted to be able to suggest something.

Weird. I've left mine for 10 days with no issues. When we were going away for 4 weeks we were advised to disconnect the battery. However, when we reconnected I had to have Lexus re-initialize the roof, windows, etc. It was no issue as they did it for free right away.

Battery tender ey? I learn something every day! Thanks and I will have a great time away without worrying as much. It's a working holiday which makes it even nice for me. Thanks for all of the great responses. Rey in very hot L.A.

Five days in the airport parking garage on a nearly new car was all it took to drain my pathetic POS factory battery. Severe design flaw in these cars. I hope Lexus enjoyed paying a tow company to restart my car. :chairshot:

• 10 months later...

Both times that I have left my 2006 RX400h unstarted for more than 5 days the battery has died and needed replacement. I am absolutely certain that no electrical equipment, light, etc. was left on. A day in the Lexus service center checking everything out revealed no abnormalities. The only suggestion they had was to put the headlights in the off rather than automatic position. I can't see why this would have anything to do with anything, though. I think they just wanted to be able to suggest something.

RX400h has only 3000 miles, and today, after a 2h shopping, my wife found her car with a dead battery.

I don't understanf how Lexus can stay unactive with such frequent issues, even if all RX400h are not affected.

Towing the car from Ajaccio to Bastia (Corsica island, in France), car rental for my wife, repair and towing back to Ajaccio will cost them more than 1000 USD!

How can this pb being not solved ?

Gilles

Here's a question, is it okay to jump start the battery from another car?

Yes. Been there, done that when my auxiliary (12 volt) battery gave it up this past fall.

As to leaving the car for an extended period - went away to Cuba in April - car sat for 8 days, no problems.