92 Sc400 Enigne Runs Rough

I have owned this thing for about 1.5 years now and put 35,000 miles on it. Has always ran good, except when coil went out.

In the last few months I have noticed it missing at times. Then I seemed to figure out that it ran better with gas from different gas stations. I will be driving along and it will just cut out. It has now gotten so bad that it wont hardly run at cruising speed but if you mash the gas it cleans up and runs good. It will also have a dead miss at times and it seems like 4 cylinders have shut off, almost like timing has retarded on it. It has even got so bad that it is dying at stop lights. It has new plugs, gapped properly, didn't help. Fuel filter is only a few months old. Last night I pulled left cover off and checked for spark all plugs are firing that I could get to from that side. And trust me it has plenty of spark. Tonight I will pull the distributor caps off and see if I have any carbon tracks.

Does anyone have any ideas on this problem? I really enjoy driving this car and want it to run right.

I have owned this thing for about 1.5 years now and put 35,000 miles on it. Has always ran good, except when coil went out.

In the last few months I have noticed it missing at times. Then I seemed to figure out that it ran better with gas from different gas stations. I will be driving along and it will just cut out. It has now gotten so bad that it wont hardly run at cruising speed but if you mash the gas it cleans up and runs good. It will also have a dead miss at times and it seems like 4 cylinders have shut off, almost like timing has retarded on it. It has even got so bad that it is dying at stop lights. It has new plugs, gapped properly, didn't help. Fuel filter is only a few months old. Last night I pulled left cover off and checked for spark all plugs are firing that I could get to from that side. And trust me it has plenty of spark. Tonight I will pull the distributor caps off and see if I have any carbon tracks.

Does anyone have any ideas on this problem? I really enjoy driving this car and want it to run right.

JMO- but my engine was cutting off and sometimes when you smashed the gas it would "clear" out the engine and run fine but other times just shut off. this all happened when i first bought my car and it had a brand new fuel pump in. the problem turned out to be the fuel pump sensor or the fuel pump ECU its pretty expensive from lexus. good luck hope this helped

JMO- but my engine was cutting off and sometimes when you smashed the gas it would "clear" out the engine and run fine but other times just shut off. this all happened when i first bought my car and it had a brand new fuel pump in. the problem turned out to be the fuel pump sensor or the fuel pump ECU its pretty expensive from lexus. good luck hope this helped

Thanks I would never guess fuel pump since it clears up when full throttle. Anyone know what fuel psi should be? Then on the other hand does it matter if you have correct fuel psi if the ecu is not operating correctly?

• 2 weeks later...