Replacing Suspension 1996 Ls400

iamhank

Hi Guys..........Great club !!!!! Nice belonging to a select circle of Lexus enthusiasts.

I need advice on upgrading my suspension. I have 190K and am

getting ready to replace anything in the suspension that will

maintain my smooth, cushiony ride. Can you advise as to

what brand of shocks/struts/springs would accomplish my

objective. Car is in fantastic condition having had only brakes,

tuneup, timing belt and other "normal maintenance"

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Hank from NJ

KYB struts--or stock; KYB is suppose to be better-slightly stiffer but not a sport strut. Stock is cheaper I think--I have KYB. There is not too much selection in aftermarket struts--or wasn't several years ago.

Don't think you should replace springs unless you are lowering car--shouldn't be a reason to.

Something I thought of since my car is this way and are many others based on a recent thread here: the left side will probably be 3/4"-1" lower than the right side.

Measure on level ground to the upper edge of the fender wheel opening-same point all the way around.

If you find that yours is similiar then I would suggest that you switch the springs out--put the RF on the LF and the RR on the LR,etc.---that should allow things to equalize for the next 190k miles :D

I do not recommend KYB struts if you want a smooth, soft ride. The previous owner of my 90 LS400 had installed the gray colored KYBs on the rear just before I bought it. It had a very firm ride from the rear suspension and it picked up every small bump in the road. I knew that a LS400 was not supposed to ride this firm, as I had ridden in my aunts 90 LS400 many years ago and I remember it having a cloud-like ride. When I first got my LS400, the ride from the rear suspension was so rough and un-Lexus like- that I had factory OEM Toyota-Lexus struts installed- which is what the car was equipped with new. The ride was 100% improved and now the ride is very smooth and well controlled. Ironically- even on the Toyota struts I had installed- below the "Toyota" stamp, it had a "KYB" stamp. I guess that KYB makes them, but they make them softer than some of their struts sold only under their name.

Perhaps there are several different grades of the KYB struts?

I would recommend struts from the Toyota dealer- as it will give a smooth and obviously a "like-new" ride.

BTW- the reat struts for my car (std. suspension) was $51.00 each and installation was $90.00 + tax at a local independent repair shop.

Good luck.

I don't want to base my decision on just 2 responses. I understand the merits

of both and frankly was surprised that only 2 people from this club had an

opinion. Right now I am leaning to the Toyoto shocks as I really do not

want to change the ride of my car. The ones I have now have served me well

for 7 years and my philosopy is to go with what I know works for me.

I am replacing alll my struts on my 94 LS. Everything I read says put the original shocks back on it. Some liked one and not the other but everyone that put the original struts on were very pleased with the ride they got and they were happy with the amount of money it took for that ride as well. I have read several lexus and import forunms to get my information and that is what I have choosen. Good Luck with your choice!!

with 190k miles on there i think you might want to look in to other things along with your struts like your front ball joints bushings from your upper and lower arms to swaybar bushings strut arm bushings then get new wheel bearings installed at least in the front all of this will reduce alot of suspension noise and not only that but it will ride like new and be a hell of alot smoother but this comes with a big price tag too well over 1000 bucks is needed and oh did i mention motor mounts?

Hi Guys..........Great club !!!!! Nice belonging to a select circle of Lexus enthusiasts.

I need advice on upgrading my suspension. I have 190K and am

getting ready to replace anything in the suspension that will

maintain my smooth, cushiony ride. Can you advise as to

what brand of shocks/struts/springs would accomplish my

objective. Car is in fantastic condition having had only brakes,

tuneup, timing belt and other "normal maintenance"

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Hank from NJ

hello iamhank, i have a set of KYB GR2 for front and rear fitting a 96 LS400, i posted it in the buy and sell forum, part number for front is 341159 sells for 120+ and rear part number 341269 sells for 85+ if you will be doing the work am including the instruction to replace both front and rear struts taken off from lexus factory repair manual, sacrifice for 350.00 plus shipping, email me for questions, thanks, bicol-ini

Hey Why are you selling them? Was it the ride quality?

hello, theyre brand new, was to installed it for a friend that has a 96 LS, but poor me, didnt notify that he is selling the car, also for the ride barely noticed it if youre using stock springs, cause this will compensate for the little bit of stiffness on the KYB, there was a thread here about the KYB about 10% stiffer than stock but better with regards to handling, thanks, PM me if youre interested, bicol-ini