Egr Pipe

tansupplyman

One of the most common places for the EGR pipe to crack is the lower one third. That is where the flexible part is located. For better inspection, jack up the car and look at the lower 1/3. If you can not see it or hear it (exhaust link), you can light up a torch (oxy type) and see if the flame move or not.

If leak, i highly recommend doing an EGR Delete. This is especially important for Turbo application.

david

How to you see it to know it is cracked?  I looked on mine and all I could see was the very top of the tube going down by the firewall.  From what I have read it seems it is neccessary to put the car on a lift and remove the exhaust headers to put yourself in a position to do a nearly impossible job.  It sounds like the only proper way to do this is to remove the transmission.  And yeah, I'll give a second on the bad engineering statement.

• 4 months later...

Hi

I have been reading this thread. My car seems to stumble when I let off the gas on partial throttle on a cold start drive. It also stalled off the freeway (this may be unrelated). The car also seems to be abrupt when I let of the gas when driving around town. I was looking for a vacuum leak and came upon this thread. Please advise me if these are symptoms of a crack in the EGR pipe.

Yo

I did not see this thread when I wrote one above asking about the egr pipe. My 96 with 133K is in the shop as we speak having this thing replaced. The estimate was $629 and the trans. does have to be removed for the job. The mechanic has done several and stated that older ls's have to have the intake manifold removed while mid 90 cars have to remove the trans and I think he said newer models have changed the design flaw.

Yo, I had an exhaust leak that you could hear when engine was cold and under load. I did'nt want to risk exhaust gasses getting into the cabin from under the hood. I could not find the leak and took it to my mechanic who found the egr pipe split towards the bottom. I guess I could have lived with the short period of noise but, "it's a LEXUS". How does it look when your driving such a beautiful car with such a crappy sound coming from it ?

Yo, your problem sounds more like the ECU unit. I've got a 95 also. Let me guess, that hesitation "stumble" you feel while driving around town is in the 40mph range? You take your foot off the gas and the car jerks a bit. If this is it, it's your computer. This is a very common problem with the 95 and 96 models. Do a search for ECU. There is a thread on here about car stalling after highway drive, same issue. It's a big thread, you can't miss it. My 95 did this too, had the dealer eat the problem. Out of all the TSB's issued for our model, this is the only one that is highly recommended to be done from Lexus. You're feeling "Off Throttle Shock."