? On Replacing Timing Belt On 2000 Lexus Rx300 With 57,000 Miles.

Luv_Lexus

Your probably fine, but some have said time wise the belt should be changed. I would wait till next year, the second stimulus package might provide you one, just kidding. maybe someone can give us the required time/versus mileage thoughts. I know on this engine they will make it an easy 100k miles normally.

I'm at 185,000 miles with my 2000 RX 300 on the original timing belt. However, I have a slow oil seal leak and I was told to wait to change the belt until around 200,000 miles and do all the seals and the belt at the same time. Like you, I have serviced it religiously every 5000 miles at the Dealer until the last 20,000 miles when I switched to every 5000 miles at a local garage who only works on Japanese cars (for half the price). She still runs like a charm

I'm at 185,000 miles with my 2000 RX 300 on the original timing belt. However, I have a slow oil seal leak and I was told to wait to change the belt until around 200,000 miles and do all the seals and the belt at the same time. Like you, I have serviced it religiously every 5000 miles at the Dealer until the last 20,000 miles when I switched to every 5000 miles at a local garage who only works on Japanese cars (for half the price). She still runs like a charm

Wow! Good luck with that...

What do you think about that Lenore? I wouldn't recommend to anyone to do that, but I never had any doubt that it would do it. :D

Yea, They are tough belts. But since you and I are knowledgeable, my luck it would have failed....I think He should go buy a lotto ticket...

Yea, They are tough belts. But since you and I are knowledgeable, my luck it would have failed....I think He should go buy a lotto ticket...

You're probably right Lenore, but they are still one of the finest made timing belts I have EVER seen. :)

code58,

you are absolutely correct about those belts, they seem to last forever.

I remember replacing T-belts on the four cylinder Porsches at 28,000 to 30,000 miles. Any further and you were asking for bent valves for sure. Or the Fiat 124, any further then 35,000-40,000 miles and you were looking at a new engine.

I am at 63,000 miles on the 2001 RX 300, I guess I've got a bit to go.

Karl

code58,

you are absolutely correct about those belts, they seem to last forever.

I remember replacing T-belts on the four cylinder Porsches at 28,000 to 30,000 miles. Any further and you were asking for bent valves for sure. Or the Fiat 124, any further then 35,000-40,000 miles and you were looking at a new engine.

I am at 63,000 miles on the 2001 RX 300, I guess I've got a bit to go.

Karl

Karl- At the risk of insulting you (that's not my intention), you didn't perchance own a 124 did you? I beg to ask the question, why would anyone own one of those? I guess it beats walking (that is if it doesn't leave you walking any way) :lol:

By the way, Karl, at 63k, you're just getting warmed up!

code58,

of course I didn't own one of those 124s, I'd rather walk.

I was in the repair business. Independent foreign auto repair shop for 34 years.

Now I just enjoy my motorcycles.

Karl

code58,

of course I didn't own one of those 124s, I'd rather walk.

I was in the repair business. Independent foreign auto repair shop for 34 years.

Now I just enjoy my motorcycles.

Karl

Karl- NOW I know why you know about the 124. IF you were foolish enough to work on those things, they would keep you in business for sure. That is if you could ever get parts for 'em!

I replaced the belt on my '99 for the first time at 180k, and it still looked clean and solid. The valves arent an interference fit with the pistons, so even if the belt does break it wont do any damage to the motor...you'd just have to get a tow truck.

Oh man here we go again. Interference is what the 1mze engine with VVti valve train is.....Has to do with the variable valve timing....

link to previous debates on here? Im sure the ES guys are in on this as well

Is it possible that Lexus does not know the answer????? Maybe a letter to Lexus would provide an answer that would be conclusive to all?

Is it possible that Lexus does not know the answer????? Maybe a letter to Lexus would provide an answer that would be conclusive to all?

Paul- several have asked that question of those that work on them at both Toyota and Lexus dealers and have gotten conflicting information. I'm sure some of them thought they got accurate information (so-to-speak from the horses mouth). Having worked in different dealerships for many years, I am not surprised at this. There are good and bad, knowledgeable and unknowledgeable in every field. I wondered myself, why it was so hard to pin this information down accurately. I believe in a conversation on this subject on this or another Lexus forum a few months back, the issue was, at least to my satisfaction (being a stickler for FACT, that's not always easy to come by), put to rest. Gates site lists the 1MZFE- VVT-I as INTERFERENCE. The non- VVT is NON-INTERFERENCE. The fact that where the valves are in the VVT seems to be where the difference lies. There are those that say they, or someone they know had a belt break break and it did no damage causes them to believe they are non-interference. This will be debated til the end of time, but at least to me, a stickler for fact, that explanation for an engine that is listed as INTERFERENCE by someone who SHOULD know, sometimes does not cause damage when a belt breaks, makes sense, and I accept it.

Now for Artbuc, if you live to see this FINALLY put to rest, you're gonna outlive ALL the rest of us! :lol:

Looks like I joined this site just in time then. Once I pick my heads up from the machine shop tomorrow, Ill measure the valve opening distance to compare to TDC. And yes, Ill even post pics.

Ill put money down that its a non-interference, anyone want to bet against me?

Looks like I joined this site just in time then. Once I pick my heads up from the machine shop tomorrow, Ill measure the valve opening distance to compare to TDC. And yes, Ill even post pics.

Ill put money down that its a non-interference, anyone want to bet against me?

Dura Max- Make sure you post a picture of the lobe on the cam at TDC on the valve at the same time you show the measurement of the open valve (on both the intake and exhaust). Don't know if that is gonna be possible or not. If there is no possibility of the valves hitting the piston, we're gonna have to inform Mr. Gates of his error, which I'm betting he got from Mr. Lexus. :)

Also what position is the cam really in, the VVTI constantly changes the cam position, however there should be a max down position with everything to its extreme.

Dura Max- Make sure you post a picture of the lobe on the cam at TDC on the valve at the same time you show the measurement of the open valve (on both the intake and exhaust). Don't know if that is gonna be possible or not. If there is no possibility of the valves hitting the piston, we're gonna have to inform Mr. Gates of his error, which I'm betting he got from Mr. Lexus. :)

I know, Ive done this a few times before ;) I just joined this site for the links to service manuals (my trans went out at 226k, so Im re-ringing the engine while its out), but it seems Ive gotten myself into more than just looking up .pdf's now.

Paul- several have asked that question of those that work on them at both Toyota and Lexus dealers and have gotten conflicting information. I'm sure some of them thought they got accurate information (so-to-speak from the horses mouth). Having worked in different dealerships for many years, I am not surprised at this. There are good and bad, knowledgeable and unknowledgeable in every field. I wondered myself, why it was so hard to pin this information down accurately. I believe in a conversation on this subject on this or another Lexus forum a few months back, the issue was, at least to my satisfaction (being a stickler for FACT, that's not always easy to come by), put to rest. Gates site lists the 1MZFE- VVT-I as INTERFERENCE. The non- VVT is NON-INTERFERENCE. The fact that where the valves are in the VVT seems to be where the difference lies. There are those that say they, or someone they know had a belt break break and it did no damage causes them to believe they are non-interference. This will be debated til the end of time, but at least to me, a stickler for fact, that explanation for an engine that is listed as INTERFERENCE by someone who SHOULD know, sometimes does not cause damage when a belt breaks, makes sense, and I accept it.

Now for Artbuc, if you live to see this FINALLY put to rest, you're gonna outlive ALL the rest of us! :lol:

I was not clear... I meant writing/enquiring to Lexus, not a dealer or salesman who, unless they have experienced the problem, most probably have never had cause to think about it. Also, while non-VVT engines have a "set" high point and valve extension/protrusion, the VVT engine probably has several possible position of the valves for the high piston points. Of course (joke) the simplest way to find out is to take an old engine, set it on the high piston point, and just force the cams in all VVT positions to push the valves, and see what happens.... But I'll be interested to know the answer, though I have changed my timing belt at 6years (60K miles only!) as recommended, because what's the point in taking the risk? Even if there is no damage to the engine, the inconvenience of breaking down is too great to gamble on/against.

Also what position is the cam really in, the VVTI constantly changes the cam position, however there should be a max down position with everything to its extreme.

But Lenore, it doesn't make any difference. If DM was gonna measure the full extension of the valves and assuming the piston comes to the TOP of the cylinder (my assumption, and as I often say, I try not to assume very much, because assumptions are often wrong), if the valves don't extend beyond a straight edge placed across the head and the pistons come to the top of the cylinder, you don't even have to measure because visually you know it's non-interference. No matter what the VVT does with the cam, the valves cant hit the piston. I'm betting that's not the case though. That's why I wanted to see the cam and the open valves at the same time (probably not possible unless a mirror is involved) to make sure the cam lobe was high sided.

Hard to measure, the pistons do have detents in them for the valves. when we took the highlander engine apart I saw everything, but unforturnately didnt do any measurements. i agree totally with you Roger. I wish Toyota would give us the truth or quit using false info to sell their timing belts early. As for the measurement you would have to measure the highest point of the piston, and then turn the head over and measure the lowest point from the base of the head to the valve extension. The cylinder head gasket would have to be added in for height. here is picture of the valve detentions in the piston...

post-12820-1247925819_thumb.jpg