1994 Lexus 400 Trans Oil Change

Larry W

I had my car at Jiffy Lube the other day and of course they were recommending a transmission flush w/o a filter. The "technician" said its a metal screen and it requires no replacement. Is this correct? I really want this car with only 90K miles to be around for a number of years so I don't mind the preventative maintenance. Should I use the synthetic fluid or go with the OEM stuff?

Is something wrong with your transmission?

I have 180K on mine, never flushed. Only drain and fill a few times since new. Shifts like butter.

Like many, i change my own oil, takes under 15 minutes.

The transmission is working perfectly. Shifts smoothly no problems. I'm just doing preventative maintenance as I do not know all of the service that was done to the car prior to my ownership last year. This car was always garaged by a non smoker and extremely well maintained. I am assuming that all service was done when needed. Lexus service book is complete up to 50K (has 80K now). Is transmission service recommended at any mileage interval? I read from these posts that the engine and trans are pretty durable. I just want to do my part.

The transmission is working perfectly. Shifts smoothly no problems. I'm just doing preventative maintenance as I do not know all of the service that was done to the car prior to my ownership last year. This car was always garaged by a non smoker and extremely well maintained. I am assuming that all service was done when needed. Lexus service book is complete up to 50K (has 80K now). Is transmission service recommended at any mileage interval? I read from these posts that the engine and trans are pretty durable. I just want to do my part.

Get your tranny flushed at a toyo or lexus dealer. Use the OEM tranny fluid. One of the biggest issues w trannies come from the fluid breaking down. I would not suggest going to Jiffy lube or anyone else. Flush it and you will be happy.

GDF

I agree! Don't let the techs near that transmission! :o An afternoon at Jiffy lube school barely watching the video about how to change oil, but told every day to find premium services for luxury cars to boost the store's bottom line <_< , that is what you are subjecting your baby to. :(

Stand there like a hawk next to that transmission if it is ever opened by someone you do not know or explicitly trust.

A new transmission is worth WAY more than your car!

Do the transmission fluid change yourself, through the cooler up by the radiator. Search on here for the tutorial.

Good luck. :)

There is a filter, and it sits just above the pan. It's easy to replace and you'll do a good 50% fluid change in the process. Most new filters come with a gasket for the pan too.

There is a filter, and it sits just above the pan. It's easy to replace and you'll do a good 50% fluid change in the process. Most new filters come with a gasket for the pan too.

Thanks for the input.

I have a 99 LS and I've had the fluid flushed/filled twice since I bought it (with 58K on it - now I've got 150K).

I had Lexus/Toyota do the flush both times. As for changing fluid - it's a must and I wouldn't have Jiffy/Valvo/Penz/Meinke etc. do this service.. . A flush is better than a drain, because it gets most all old fluid out of the system. Drains don't do this and leave behind metal shavings/fluid in low points in the trans (which gravity can't get out). Albeit, any flush, or drain is better than none at all.

Yes, the fluid will break down over time and as a result, doesn't produce as much pressure (compared to new fluid). Lack of pressure will eventually cause malfunction and it may go unnoticed until full trans. failure. So, old fluid will ruin the transmission due to fluid breakdown, and the metal shavings it contains (from normal tranny wear). The housing has a magnet in there, but it won't get everything as far as metal shavings go... .

I agree - only OEM fluids and parts go in my car.. . (one exception; a K and N air filter, which I have good results with).

I might change my opinion if I drove more aggressively, or for high usage (25K miles per year or more). Not for me.

Good luck - J

I would NEVER take my car to Jiffy Lube, Grease Monkey, or any of those type places. I have a friend who took his 3 year old Ford Minivan there before a trip to Florida. They got to Carolina, and the engine blew up. The dealer said the car was run without oil, the GED guy at Jiffy Lube said they did nothing wrong. My friend paid over $2500 for a new engine.

"Stand there like a hawk" excellent advice.

You are better off not changing it than to let them anywhere near your car.

I called the local Toyota dealer and the service advisor said there is "no filter to change. It's a metal screen." They said $69 for drain and add. Does my 94 LS400 really have a replacement filter? Is he mistaken?

I was told it is a metal screen as well although I do see filters available? I just drain the fluid and replace it with the same amount. Do that once in awhile and it should be okay. The nice thing is that there is a drain plug on the transmission so you don't need to drop the pan to change some of the fluid.

I called the local Toyota dealer and the service advisor said there is "no filter to change. It's a metal screen." They said $69 for drain and add. Does my 94 LS400 really have a replacement filter? Is he mistaken?

My 1992 has a filter. Same transmission, I don't see why yours would be different. Realize that service advisors are not technicians, they don't know all that much.

My 1992 has a filter. Same transmission, I don't see why yours would be different. Realize that service advisors are not technicians, they don't know all that much.

I replaced the "filter" on my '91, and yours should be the same. Drain the AT fluid from the drain plug. Remove the AT pan. The filter can then be removed and replaced. It is a metal screen/strainer, but is inside a metal housing, so I'm not sure if it could be cleaned as good as new. I just replaced mine with a new OEM one: PN 35330-50010, "transmission oil strainer", $41.66 about a year ago. There are 4 strong rectangular magnets on the pan that you can wipe free of metal shavings. If you buy an aftermarket filter, it may come with a rubber AT pan gasket, but I used the OEM FIPG (form in place gasket, which is a tube of sealant) PN 00295-01281, $18.57 about a year ago. The tube seems like it will make at least 5 gaskets, maybe 10. Should be a lifetime supply.

I could not agree more regarding the fear you should have regarding places like jiffy lube.

The price of $69 for a drain+fill seems a little high, as that is easier than an oil change. Takes about 3 qts of Toyota Type-4 ATF, which may cost $20, but other than that, it's a matter of draining from the drain plug and filling into the dipstick tube.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the filter IS a metal screen, as in many transmissions, some will merely clean them IF there is anything caught in them. There is no paper/etc. element like in an oil filter.

For those who want to change more of the tranny fluid during a drain and fill, do something that I discovered by accident. I had the front wheels up on ramps for a few days while doing some other work. I pulled the tranny drain plug, and since it was still dripping out when I was finishing for the evening, I left the plug out overnight. Turns out, about 5 quarts drained out instead of the typical 2 quarts on a level drain and fill.

Since the filter IS a metal screen, as in many transmissions, some will merely clean them IF there is anything caught in them. There is no paper/etc. element like in an oil filter.

For those who want to change more of the tranny fluid during a drain and fill, do something that I discovered by accident. I had the front wheels up on ramps for a few days while doing some other work. I pulled the tranny drain plug, and since it was still dripping out when I was finishing for the evening, I left the plug out overnight. Turns out, about 5 quarts drained out instead of the typical 2 quarts on a level drain and fill.

True. You can also run the engine for a just a second and let the pump push even more fluid out into the pan. And I do mean just a second, don't be the guy who starts it then goes in to make lunch and have a beer. 7-9 seconds is good enough to get more fluid out without risking damage.