2003 Rx300 Vsc, Trac Control, And Check Engine Lights On?

ma4220

I have a 2003 Lexus RX300, and the check engine light, VSC light, and Traction Control light is on. I have tried everything I can think of. The hose was off on the back of the air box, I put it on and put a good clamp on both ends. I put a new gas cap on. And I put a $200 O2 Sensor in and none of it worked. I am lossed now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could be any number of things from a faulty gas cap to a transmission solenoid I would highly recommend taking it to a autozone or checker or any place that has a diag tool to check engine codes.

Once you got the code the guy can look them up or theres a post here some were with all the engine codes. Give ya a beter idea if why the lights are on

Hi, Just wanted to share some of the experiences that I went through. I too replace sensors and such. To my surprise nothing was working. I came upon a post from a Lexus Tech and he gave me the following info. Disconnecting the battery will not clear the ecu memory. It must be done from the computer port under the dash right under the steering wheel. I used a paper clip to jump top row from left number 3 pin to bottom row from left number 5. With the key off. Make the paper clip so that you can hold it connecting both pins. (unless you have some help) After making the connection, turn the key to the on position. You will see the VSC, Engine, and perhaps Abs lights start flashing. Turn the ignition off. remove the clip. Your computer memory is now cleared. Start your car and the lights should not come on. I went through dealers and mechanics before finding this information. Don't be scared to do it. I have saved thousands by working on my own RX300. Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions.

Good luck. Robert :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to reply. I did try the paper clip and it did not work. I was at the parts store the other day and had them scan it, the computer read O2 sensor on manifold. I I hust reolaced it but that didn't help it either. I had him clear the lights but they popped back up a couple minutes later. I don't know what to do now. It seems like I have tried everything. Any more help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry it took so long to reply. I did try the paper clip and it did not work. I was at the parts store the other day and had them scan it, the computer read O2 sensor on manifold. I I hust reolaced it but that didn't help it either. I had him clear the lights but they popped back up a couple minutes later. I don't know what to do now. It seems like I have tried everything. Any more help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

One question, what brand of A/F ratio sensor did you use? I hope it was OEM Denso. There have been quite a few people post that they have used Walker, Bosch and others and still had the problem. When they replaced with Denso, the problem went away. Don't know if that's your problem or not, but I wouldn't ever use aftermarket parts on a Toyota product. If they don't work, you think the problem has to be something else. Denso, Aisin, and the other OEM products definitely work!

Tell us what the DTC was so that we can make sure the right sensor was replaced.

Hi, Just wanted to share some of the experiences that I went through. I too replace sensors and such. To my surprise nothing was working. I came upon a post from a Lexus Tech and he gave me the following info. Disconnecting the battery will not clear the ecu memory. It must be done from the computer port under the dash right under the steering wheel. I used a paper clip to jump top row from left number 3 pin to bottom row from left number 5. With the key off. Make the paper clip so that you can hold it connecting both pins. (unless you have some help) After making the connection, turn the key to the on position. You will see the VSC, Engine, and perhaps Abs lights start flashing. Turn the ignition off. remove the clip. Your computer memory is now cleared. Start your car and the lights should not come on. I went through dealers and mechanics before finding this information. Don't be scared to do it. I have saved thousands by working on my own RX300. Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions.

Good luck. Robert :D

I do not understand "jump top row from left number 3 pin to bottom row from left number 5." Does it mean count to the third pin from the left on the top row and the fifth pin from the left on the bottom row? Then jumper across them while turning the key on then off? Thanks

joe

• 3 weeks later...

I was using bosch but I took it back and replaced it with a denso. Come to find out, I replaced the wrong sensor I think. I replaced the front one(easiest to get to). Yesterday I put the old one back in the front manifold and the new denso in the rear manifold. After I hooked the battery back up the cheack engine light went off but the trac off and vsc light still come on says my girlfriend. Ill check it when I get back in this weekend and let yall know.

You need to verify exactly what lights are on. If it's a CEL along with others, read the code with a code reader and troubleshoot from there. If you successfully got the CEL to go out with your repair/sensor change/etc but are still left with a VSC light you need to do a zero point calibration. This is a common problem. A number of Toyota products have a defective VSC controller which require the calibration after a CEL reset. If this is the case post back and I will find the Toyota bulletin for you.

• 10 years later...

Interesting...I've seen this on my '03. A few years back, if I recall correctly, I may have seen a tip regarding a fix - which I may have tried (don't recall exactly what is was) but the problem went away. It occurred again more recently and, after reading it wasn't something about which I should be concerned, I did my best to ignore it. It has since gone away and reappeared a few times, Most recently, it's been gone for several days. I say don't lose any sleep over it!