New To Lexus ... Seeking Expert Advice

frmrBMWownr

I just purchased a '92 LS 400 with 68,000 miles from the original owner. The car is in exceptional shape and I'm really enjoying it so far. I have noticed a couple of minor "issues" that may need to be addressed, and I also have a couple questions. Any responses would be appreciated.

1) As the transmission downshifts during "roll-on" acceleration, I've notice an odd vibration that seems to come from the front of the car. It varies in intensity, but almost feels like I've run over one of those "wake-up" strips of small bumps that you find on the side of some roads. Any thoughts?

2) I'm feeling a slight hesitation in acceleration from a standing stop, less so in the Power mode than the Normal mode of the transmission. Thoughts?

3) My car has the Pioneer stereo with no CD changer. Are the '92 LS400s prewired to the trunk for a changer even if one wasn't installed originally? I hate to resort to running a changer through an FM modulator (lops off the high and low frequencies), but may have no other "easy" choice.

Thanks!!

1) Since the car is 12 years old, the front suspension could be worn just enough. A lot of those cars can have worn bushings or ball joints starting @ 70K. This has been a persistent repair throughout these model years.

Check the tires first though; tread wear, balance.....

2) Hesitation is normal - just make sure clean fluid is in the AT!

3) Don't know this one

Welcome and enjoy your LS!

2) Hesitation is normal - just make sure clean fluid is in the AT!

Hey 99 ........ do you feel hesitaion in yours?

I've always marvaled at the seemingly zero throttle-response time ....... sorta like ...... you think it - it does it.

Find a road where you can put it second gear (manually) and play around with the throttle at between 2.5k and 4k RPM. There seems to be no lag at all. Sweet ...... B)

BTW 99 ...... I like the new effect you have on your avatar .... the colors and shading compliment an already ...... nice looking Ride.

Thanks for the avatar compliment! I just used the "vignette" tool in photoshop; had no idea the sky would turn out so cool. How'd you get the 98 with only 45K miles? Must be in IMMACULATE CONDITION :D :D

Did you take the photo and add vignette to your signature...looks Great!

I CONFESS - YOU GAVE ME THE IDEA :rolleyes:

I digress...back to the hesitation.....

The slight delay is when cruising in OD and then punching it down- otherwise, it is as seemless as can be. I'll try the "manual Stick" method over the weekend - thanks for the info :lol:

if the radio has a cd button it is prewired. if it has a tape button only it is not prewoired. you would have to get a cd button radio ands cd changer cable to hook up the factory changer. the changer uses a similar changer with the same 6 disc same magazine as the 89 to 98 pioneer 6 disc changer in your bmw cars. i have a complete system for your ls400 if you would like to switch over to the pioneer cd changer system. another option since you woulsd need a new radio anyway would be to switch over to the nakamichi ls400 system which was the best ever installed in an oem application. the door spewakers and tweeters could stay butn yopu would have to swichn over to the nak subwoofer which is 5 ohms instead of the 1 ohm sub of the pioneer system. the pioneer subs were made out of papaer and have life of 10 to 12 years only. the nak subs are still going strong.

if the radio has a cd button it is prewired. if it has a tape button only it is not prewoired. you would have to get a cd button radio ands cd changer cable to hook up the factory changer. the changer uses a similar changer with the same 6 disc same magazine as the 89 to 98 pioneer 6 disc changer in your bmw cars. i have a complete system for your ls400 if you would like to switch over to the pioneer  cd changer system. another option since you woulsd need a new radio anyway would be to switch over to the nakamichi ls400 system which was the best ever installed in an oem application. the door spewakers and tweeters could stay butn yopu would have to swichn over to the nak subwoofer which is 5 ohms instead of the 1 ohm sub of the pioneer system. the pioneer subs were made out of papaer and have life of 10 to 12 years only. the nak subs are still going strong.

Pioneersuby thanks for the info. My '92 LS400 has the standard premium audio system with am/fm/tape and NO cd changer. My goal is to upgrade to a complete Nakamichi audio system, with Nak speakers, amp and cd changer. I beleive that I would have to replace the present wiring/plugs from the head unit with one from a Nakamichi head unit to make it work. The wiring seems to be the major obstacle in doing this conversion. Would the present wiring if the plugs were changed be adequate to handle a Nakamichi system? Or would the whole audio system (minus the speaker) have to be rewired? Four Door.

theres no wiring to replace if you switch to the 90 to 92 nak system . both systems had 4 channells in the radio and 1 channel under the cd changer bracket.all the connectors are the same.............................................................. the 93 94 nak system went to a 5 channel amp in the trunk none inside the radio so that wiring is all together different................................................... so to review the equipment needed to change over you need a 90 to 92 nak headunit, nak subwoofer amp and the subwoofer and the dealer or salvage yard unavailable cd changer cable. (i custom make them ) the 90 to 92 tape pioneer system door speakers are not that different and may not have to be replaced. so only possible switch would be the door speakers and you only have to change the speakers not the baffle boxes................................................................................ if you wanted to switch to 93 94 5 channel nak amp system that would require some rewiring although if you mounted the 5 channel amp under the dash or passenger seat it would make wiring easier to connect the speaker outputs connctor which usews easy to get toyota wiring adaptor.lexus 2nd generation speaker wire adapters are not available commercially but the first generation amplfier in the radio type like your car are.. but if you just switched the 90 to 92 nak system you wouldnt need any speaker wire adapters.

• 2 weeks later...

Pioneersuby if you could contact me re the upgrade to the Nakamichi system, I doubt your in the Boston area and think I could do the majority of the work myself. You mentioned that you make up the cd changer cable which I will need. I will have to locate a 90-92 Nak head unit, subwoofer, subwoofer amp, cd changer and carpeted trunk panel for the cd changer. I'll probably also change all the door speakers. Really appreciate the info, Four Door.