Dashboard Warning Lights

I own a 2005 RX330. I love my car! But the dashboard warning lights come on for no reason and the dealer cannot find anything wrong in the computer sensors. Does anyone else have this problem and what could it be? The only way to make them go off is to stop the car and turn it off and restart. I am afraid that this is something major and dangerous.

I own a 2005 RX330. I love my car! But the dashboard warning lights come on for no reason and the dealer cannot find anything wrong in the computer sensors. Does anyone else have this problem and what could it be? The only way to make them go off is to stop the car and turn it off and restart. I am afraid that this is something major and dangerous.

When you say the dashboard warning lights, what lights do you mean, or do you mean all the lights, as in when you turn the key on before you start it? If they go of when you turn it off and restart it, it sounds like it has to be the ignition switch (as if it is not registering a started condition), or the computer, since the computer goes through a self check of all systems each time you turn the key on. If the computer is loosing the signal from the switch that the car is running (although it is) it might cause that. A computer failure would also obviously cause it. I don't know what all checking they did, and the computer isn't real easy to get to, (on the early ones it is behind the glove box), but if it were my car, I would be tempted to pull the computer, and pull the plugs on it and "reset" them a couple of times. Be sure you use a ground strap (like you use for computer work, goes on your wrist to computer case) should you choose to do that. If it is only a CEL (check engine light), a lot of the picture I just painted changes. Maybe a little more detail would help. Good Luck!

Addtl. Surely an '05 must be under warrantee yet, if so, it's their responsibility to fix it, not just tell you they can't find the problem.

Thanks for your reply. I mean ALL of the dash lights on the right side of the wheel. These are the warning lights that come on when you start the car and usually go out. They come on out of the blue, so to speak, and do not go out unless I pull over, turn off the car and restart. This occurs after driving for some time or even a long time--again, no pattern or rhyme or reason for it to occur. Why do you think it might be an ignition switch? By the computer at the dealer, I mean that the service guy told me that they had hooked it up to the diagnostic computer and could not find anything wrong. They also could not duplicate the lights going on--neither could I--it is so random. Is this dangerous? Should I be able to continue driving--say for example, I am on the freeway and this happens and I cannot just pull over and stop and restart--then what?

Thanks for your reply. I mean ALL of the dash lights on the right side of the wheel. These are the warning lights that come on when you start the car and usually go out. They come on out of the blue, so to speak, and do not go out unless I pull over, turn off the car and restart. This occurs after driving for some time or even a long time--again, no pattern or rhyme or reason for it to occur. Why do you think it might be an ignition switch? By the computer at the dealer, I mean that the service guy told me that they had hooked it up to the diagnostic computer and could not find anything wrong. They also could not duplicate the lights going on--neither could I--it is so random. Is this dangerous? Should I be able to continue driving--say for example, I am on the freeway and this happens and I cannot just pull over and stop and restart--then what?

I personally doubt that it would be serious to drive that way, once they come on. You just wouldn't have the proper warning that any of those light are intended to give you, because they are already on in fail mode. My thought about the ignition switch (remember, the ignition switch has 2 parts, the lock cylinder and the actual contacts) It would not be the lock cylinder, it would be the actual contacts. If somehow the contacts are worn or damaged, they could make the same type of contact they make when you turn the key on, thereby starting the computer self check sequence when it is not supposed to. Since it is so random, I don't know how you could check it without taking the entire switch out and then I don't think it can be taken apart to check the contacts because it is likely crimped together. It is a difficult situation, but the only suggestion I would have as a mechanic is to try banging on the steering column in the area of the switch BEFORE you shut it off to see if there is any possibility it would jar it loose if there were something making contact when it shouldn't. Turning the key off and back on would naturally change position of things in there if there were something were coming apart. The computer being defective is a very real possibility obviously. There are many things I would do to try and isolate the problem, but too difficult to communicate to anyone but a mechanic. Sorry about that. Please refer to my first sentence to ease your mind some, and if it's under warrantee, I wouldn't let up on them. Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue with my 2004 RX330. It started happening soon after the warranty expired, and has been doing it for a couple years now. It only happens every month or 2 or 3. I do what you said - next time I get the opportunity, I turn the key off and restart. Problem goes away. It's nothing to worry about, IMHO.

code58, it looks to me that you are right on with the ignition switch, it makes perfect sense. Another possibility is the connector to the ignition switch. Unplugging and reconnecting it could also be a test.

On the old VW beetle, with an intermittent problem, we used to soak the whole ignition switch in contact cleaner for a test. If it fixed the problem, we would replace the switch.

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

I personally doubt that it would be serious to drive that way, once they come on. You just wouldn't have the proper warning that any of those light are intended to give you, because they are already on in fail mode. My thought about the ignition switch (remember, the ignition switch has 2 parts, the lock cylinder and the actual contacts) It would not be the lock cylinder, it would be the actual contacts. If somehow the contacts are worn or damaged, they could make the same type of contact they make when you turn the key on, thereby starting the computer self check sequence when it is not supposed to. Since it is so random, I don't know how you could check it without taking the entire switch out and then I don't think it can be taken apart to check the contacts because it is likely crimped together. It is a difficult situation, but the only suggestion I would have as a mechanic is to try banging on the steering column in the area of the switch BEFORE you shut it off to see if there is any possibility it would jar it loose if there were something making contact when it shouldn't. Turning the key off and back on would naturally change position of things in there if there were something were coming apart. The computer being defective is a very real possibility obviously. There are many things I would do to try and isolate the problem, but too difficult to communicate to anyone but a mechanic. Sorry about that. Please refer to my first sentence to ease your mind some, and if it's under warrantee, I wouldn't let up on them. Good Luck!

So all the warning lights came on while I was driving on the freeway. I immediately changed my plans and went to the dealership. told the kid who met me as I drove in "DO NOT TURN OFF THE CAR!" My service rep came out, they put it on the computer and found the problem--- a brake light sensor was shorting out. They replaced it and VOILA! no more problems. The key was taking it to the dealer when it was happening. And it was covered under the warranty, so no charge. They also thoroughly washed my car, although it looked like rain. It didn't rain all day. Problem solved! Thanks for you input.

• 12 years later...

I have a 2005 RX330 with exactly the same problem.  I’ve already wasted money at the dealer having them do complete diagnostic testing yet they can find no issues nor offer any remedy.  I love the vehicle in every other way!  I know the vehicle is way up there in age and mileage but still performs flawlessly in every other way but this.  In fact, I find it remarkable that every other feature down to lights, navigation, adaptive headlight system, etc. work so well without components needing to be replaced, etc.