Rear Windows Don't Go Down...

This one is a bit odd. I walked out to my 2002 ES300 the other day, pushed and held the door unlock button to open the windows and sunroof.... front windows went down, sunroof opened... but BOTH rear windows stayed up. I got in the car and tried to push the interior switch- they may the small noise (almost a very faint click- same as all other windows in the car and on my older ES) that they do when they first open (the mechanical noise of the motor requesting the windows to go down), but the rear windows don't go down. Same thing happens if you push the window buttons in the back seat - slight, normal noise, and no window movement.

Is it not odd that seemingly both motors would go out on the exact same day at the exact same time? I don't think thats possible... I haven't checked the fuses yet, but correct me if I am wrong, if the fuse was blown I would hear NO Noise from them ....

Please advise :) and thanks in advance.

Ryan

ryan_h,

I don't think that you have any blown fuses or window motors that have gone bad, as they wouldn't both give up the ghost at the same time, unless hit with a power surge.

Guessing here, but do you have the window lockout switch on the driver's door pushed down? The only thing that might not fit with this idea is why the passenger front window went down but not the two rears as well.

You may have a lockup somehow in the remote's radio receiver that controls the alarm, immobilizer, door locks and windows. I would wonder if disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes would somehow reset it. Its worth a try. Keep us posted! Good Luck!

ryan_h,

I don't think that you have any blown fuses or window motors that have gone bad, as they wouldn't both give up the ghost at the same time, unless hit with a power surge.

Guessing here, but do you have the window lockout switch on the driver's door pushed down? The only thing that might not fit with this idea is why the passenger front window went down but not the two rears as well.

You may have a lockup somehow in the remote's radio receiver that controls the alarm, immobilizer, door locks and windows. I would wonder if disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes would somehow reset it. Its worth a try. Keep us posted! Good Luck!

no responses bother me. if this guy ever checks back here...i would agree with dude above..plus start looking in your owners manual for odd things of this nature.

Try slamming both rear doors with the engine on and then try the windows again.

Sometimes the rear windows jam, and slamming the doors resets the motors. I had this happen to my driver's side rear window last year and just by accident I found it worked after a client got out and slammed the door overly hard. After talking with others on here I learned that the slamming serves as a reset procedure.

I will have to try disconnecting the battery & NO! I do not have the lockout switch activated :). Thats the first thing I checked! Ha... Sorry for no response... I have been on vacation :). The door slamming idea, while novel, and completely understandable did not work as I figured it wouldn't because of my luck. Will update as soon as I have tried something new :).

• 4 weeks later...
Try slamming both rear doors with the engine on and then try the windows again.

Sometimes the rear windows jam, and slamming the doors resets the motors. I had this happen to my driver's side rear window last year and just by accident I found it worked after a client got out and slammed the door overly hard. After talking with others on here I learned that the slamming serves as a reset procedure.

Thank you so much for this info!!!

I also had to hold down the window button as I slammed the door with the engine running but my window now works!!!!

Thanks again for the info