B & G "power" Auto Trans Flush

sgretchko

I have a 1997 with 160,000 miles, I have all service records from mile 1.

While trans has been flushed every 30 to 40k, my lexus dealer service rep has suggested a B&G "Power" Flush and refill of the entire system. Fortunately, this person has treated me well over the years. He has encouraged my mix of DIY (oil, air, cabin filter changes, broken antenna fixes, etc) and dealer service (timing belts, etc). He has matched parts prices to those found online at Lexus of Pembroke Pines (a great source for OEM Lexus parts). In other words, no complaints.

I am having no transmission problems but have probably lost a litttle "smoothness" over the years. I would like to drive the car to 300,000 and maintain it accordingly. If anyone has an opinion or experience with this type of service for trans, brakes or otherwise, I would appreciate it. The information from this site has been invaluable, thank you.

P.S.: If you know of a good independent shop in the Metro Detroit area, I would love to know about it.

While trans has been flushed every 30 to 40k, my lexus dealer service rep has suggested a B&G "Power" Flush and refill of the entire system. Fortunately, this person has treated me well over the years. He has encouraged my mix of DIY (oil, air, cabin filter changes, broken antenna fixes, etc) and dealer service (timing belts, etc). He has matched parts prices to those found online at Lexus of Pembroke Pines (a great source for OEM Lexus parts). In other words, no complaints.

I am having no transmission problems but have probably lost a litttle "smoothness" over the years. I would like to drive the car to 300,000 and maintain it accordingly. If anyone has an opinion or experience with this type of service for trans, brakes or otherwise, I would appreciate it. The information from this site has been invaluable, thank you.

P.S.: If you know of a good independent shop in the Metro Detroit area, I would love to know about it.

Excellent choice on doing the powerflush. One thing I would recommend is to always use OEM tranny fluids. They really do make a difference. BTW, clean your throttle body and MAF sensor ASAP. My 2000 LS400 had a huge build up on carbon inside. Use Valvoline cleaner...there is a thread on the forumn that will guide you through the process. Also, I like my KN filter too.

GDF

Excellent choice on doing the powerflush. One thing I would recommend is to always use OEM tranny fluids. They really do make a difference. BTW, clean your throttle body and MAF sensor ASAP. My 2000 LS400 had a huge build up on carbon inside. Use Valvoline cleaner...there is a thread on the forumn that will guide you through the process. Also, I like my KN filter too.

GDF

sgretchko .... it is nice to hear that there are a few others out there that actually do transmission services like you do .... I am amazed at how many car owners are totally unaware of the importance of this. My information on this subject came from Bobby Likis over at Car Clinic Radio.com ..... he suggests the B G Flush for the transmission ..... Bobby explains it very well ....

sounds to me like you are doing everything well on your car ....

I live out in a small desert town where there are a few good independent mechanics (thank God) .... the guy I use strongly suggested a trans system flush on my LS 400 when I first got the car (it had 101,000 miles on it) and he wanted me to use a synthetic trans. fluid. I said OK .... and all has been well for the last 30,000 miles using it .... I could tell an immediate difference with it, but my trans. had probably not been serviced in about 50,000 miles when I first got the car ..... just a guess, but the fluid looked kinda bad and the shifting was ... well ... certainly not perfect as it could be. Like I said ... as soon as I first drove the car after we were done I could tell an immediate difference in the way the transmission was behaving .... much, much better .... and it still is, actually. I looked at the fluid the other day and it still has great color and smell. I will admit, however, that when I go up a long, steep highway grade I will follow behind a slow moving truck so that I can go over the grade gently as opposed to flying over the hill at Mach 1 like so many others do ..... I get better overall gas milage this way, and it gives me some peace-of-mind with regard to how much stress I am [ not ] putting on my transmission .....

:cheers:

A quick question here on flushes versus a drain and fill. I had my transmission flushed around 50k miles and it's now past due at 138K miles. Lexus is telling me that I should not flush it while some other guys are telling me I can (jiffy lube). Moreover, Jiffylube is saying that they can use a fluid that's the equivalent of the Toyota type IV that will last longer. Two questions:

1) Should I flush and fill or drain and fill?

2) Would you recommend any fluid other than OEM?

Thanks.

A quick question here on flushes versus a drain and fill. I had my transmission flushed around 50k miles and it's now past due at 138K miles. Lexus is telling me that I should not flush it while some other guys are telling me I can (jiffy lube). Moreover, Jiffylube is saying that they can use a fluid that's the equivalent of the Toyota type IV that will last longer. Two questions:

1) Should I flush and fill or drain and fill?

2) Would you recommend any fluid other than OEM?

Thanks.

1. Flush rather than drain and fill

2. Only use the Toyota fluid. I have even bought the OEM material and had the quick oil change place credit back a portion of the price. I do not trust the aftermarket equivalents that work on "all imports".

Flush using the car's pump. Search for it on this forum. Use the good fluids and do it yourself.

I'd think the power flush is just as profitable to the shop as putting nitrogen in you tires.

Was the old flush they did by gravity or hand pump?

If it connects to a machine, I'd say it was always a POWER flush.

We highly recommend certain investments/programs at our firm too, they kick us back a lot of tax benefits when employees sign up! ;)

Thanks guys!

I'm not a diy'r mainly because I don't have the time or tools, so I'll go the Jiffy Lube route because they're cheaper and bring my own OEM fluid. Lexus wants about $ 200 for the flush and fill, while Jiffy is at half that price.

Thanks guys!

I'm not a diy'r mainly because I don't have the time or tools, so I'll go the Jiffy Lube route because they're cheaper and bring my own OEM fluid. Lexus wants about $ 200 for the flush and fill, while Jiffy is at half that price.

I would not go to Jiffy Lube...they did an oil change for me and left off the oil dipstick...got oil all over the underside of my hood...luckly no damage was done to my engine but that type of stuff should never ever happen....in addition to that, my mechanic does my tranny flush and fill with gasket and filter included WITH OEM TRANS FLUID for $80....hope this helpl....

Find an independent garage and tell them WHY you are coming to them. That you want to establish a working relationship with them and will go out of your way to make sure they get their FAIR profit in exchange for the work done PERFECTLY.

Jiffy lube is a mistake. Oh god don't make me bring up what they did to my C5 'vert Corvette!

They are going to take your lexus fluid and re-sell it on e-bay and put diesel oil in your tranny! :o Stay away from quicky lubes!