Aftermarket Hu Over Nak System

weidmark

I have a pioneer deh-5900 HU from my old car and was thinking of getting i put in my 1992 lexus ls400 instead of the nakamichi system. i do plan on getting new speakers eventually and an amp to power these speakers. i have a few questions.

1. will replacing only the HU make sound better? worse? the same?

2. iv heard the stock amp will need to be bypassed if an aftermarket HU is put in or there will be distortion... is this easy? does the amp need to be messed around with for this? or i it done straight from the HU?

3. are the stock speakers component speakers?

4. im getting this all done at bestbuy as i have little experience and dont want to mess anything up. anything i should tell them?

thank you very much

I have a pioneer deh-5900 HU from my old car and was thinking of getting i put in my 1992 lexus ls400 instead of the nakamichi system. i do plan on getting new speakers eventually and an amp to power these speakers. i have a few questions.

2. iv heard the stock amp will need to be bypassed if an aftermarket HU is put in or there will be distortion... is this easy? does the amp need to be messed around with for this? or i it done straight from the HU?

4. im getting this all done at bestbuy as i have little experience and dont want to mess anything up. anything i should tell them?

thank you very much

1-Replacing the head unit will not really make sound that much better because the power to the speakers is still going to be coming from the same factory amp.

2-Yes! if you want to put in a new (aftermarket amp) the stock amp will have to be bypassed but it should not be hard to do if you are letting bestbuy do it. They won't have to mess around with it too much....they will just unplug it and tap into the speaker wires from there.

3-No! the stock speakers aare NOT component speakers but component speakers can be adapted to fit.

GOOD LUCK! AND PLEASE KEEP US POSTED.

thank you very much

YOU A QUICK NOTE: IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON REPLACING THE SPAKERS AND AMP LATER ON....I WOULD SUGGEST YOU TRY TO DO STEREO INSTALL YOURSELF. ALL YOU NEED IS THE PROPER WIRE HARNESS AND AN INSTALLATION KIT THAT YOU CAN BUY ALMOST ANYWHERE. AN INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO INSTALL CAN BE FOUND BY SEARCHING THIS SITE. BY BUYING THE PARTS YOU NEED AND DOING THE INSTALL YOURSELF YOU WILL BE SAVING AT LEAST $100 OR MORE. BUT THEN AGAIN, IF MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE AND YOU DON'T FEEL CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO DO IT.....THEN, GET IT INSTALL SOMEWHERE....BUT I THINK YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO IT! YOU WILL BE PROUD OF YOURSELF WHEN YOU SEE THE NEW RADIO AND KNOW THAT YOU DID IT YOURSELF!

1-Replacing the head unit will not really make sound that much better because the power to the speakers is still going to be coming from the same factory amp.

2-Yes! if you want to put in a new (aftermarket amp) the stock amp will have to be bypassed but it should not be hard to do if you are letting bestbuy do it.

1 - will replacing the head unit AND bypassing the stock amp make it louder?

2 - i know the stock amp would need to be replaced if im putting in a aftermarket amp... but i was wondering about if the stock amp needed to be bypassed if im puttingin an aftermarket HU... because i heard there will be distortion because of the HU's onboard amp

any thoughts?

1- it all depends on the how powerful the new amp is! if is has more power than the stock amp the yes! it will sound louder.

if you just want more power.....you can just replace (or bypass) the stock amp and keep the same head unit.

2- I own a 1990 LS400, I replaced the head unit and I am very happy with the sound. The new HU works very well with the stock amp and never had any problems. At first, I too, thought of amp replacement, but after replacing the HU I felt the amp replacement was not necessary. However, I would suggest just replacing the head unit....if, and only if, YOU feel that there is distortion then....yes! you can run wires from the NEW HU...back to the trunk of you car and bypass the stock amp so that you will be powering your speakers with the built-in amp of your HU.

If you do decide to bypass the stock amp let me know and I'll send you a diagram with the wire color/location for the stock amp.