Egr Valve

bowtie3

Does a 2000 RX300 have an EGR valve? My wife's 2000 RX300 [ 72000 miles ] has a gas-knock periodically. Was wondering if it was caused by a faulty pair of knock sensors or maybe a clogged EGR valve orifice. I usually rectify it by pulling the ECM fuse for a minute or so.

there isnt an egr in the RX300....do you use regular or premium fuel....???

We bought the car in 2003, it was three years old with 39,000 miles, as a Certified Lexus used car. We used premium fuel for about a year. During that year the car had numerous periods of gas-knock. The dealer service department kept telling us that the gas was bad. We changed brands numerous times and still had a periodic gas knock. A Toyota tech told me that the engine, transmission, and drive-train was exactly that same as a Toyota Highlander and no Highlander owner he new EVER used premium fuel. Since then we've used regular fuel [ 87 octane ] in it with good results, but once in a while it will get a bit of a gas-knock. When that happens I just pull the ECM fuse for a minute or so and the problem is solved. The Toyota tech told me that after the ECM fuse is pulled/replaced the computer will then sdjust to the fuel currently in the tank. He also recommended a can of " Seafoam " in the gas tank about every six months. So far he's been " right on the money ". While the car was under the " Certified " time period it was serviced at the Lexus dealer. During this time I encountered various instances of complete incompetence by the service department! There were two instances where they put the oil-drain plug in " finger-tight ". That's right, I get under the car and check on EVERYTHING! Another time the engine would idle about 2000 RPM. I took the car to the dealer several times only to be told " no problem found ". Finally after two months of high-idle probelms the check-engine light came on. Only then did the service department find a problem with the Idle Speed Control valve and replaced it under warranty. It seems that the Lexus techs can't solve a problem until the computer points it out for them. The AIC valve never once came up as the possible cause of the problem. It would seem to me that since the Toyota techs work on MANY times the vehicles that Lexus techs ever see that a Toyota dealer would be the obvious choice for service once a Lexus is beyond the factory warrant period. Here in Virginia Beach one of the Toyota dealers is also owned by the owner of the only Lexus dealer. Guess which Toyota dealer refuses to do ANY service work on a Lexus, even an oil/filter change!

Then your only choice is to find a place that works toyotas only. they generally have very good experience working on the cars because they get the older ones and have seen all of the problems....good luck. The only other thing is that your knock sensor wiring harness is deteriorating or bad knock sensors.

We bought the car in 2003, it was three years old with 39,000 miles, as a Certified Lexus used car. We used premium fuel for about a year. During that year the car had numerous periods of gas-knock. The dealer service department kept telling us that the gas was bad. We changed brands numerous times and still had a periodic gas knock. A Toyota tech told me that the engine, transmission, and drive-train was exactly that same as a Toyota Highlander and no Highlander owner he new EVER used premium fuel. Since then we've used regular fuel [ 87 octane ] in it with good results, but once in a while it will get a bit of a gas-knock. When that happens I just pull the ECM fuse for a minute or so and the problem is solved. The Toyota tech told me that after the ECM fuse is pulled/replaced the computer will then sdjust to the fuel currently in the tank. He also recommended a can of " Seafoam " in the gas tank about every six months. So far he's been " right on the money ". While the car was under the " Certified " time period it was serviced at the Lexus dealer. During this time I encountered various instances of complete incompetence by the service department! There were two instances where they put the oil-drain plug in " finger-tight ". That's right, I get under the car and check on EVERYTHING! Another time the engine would idle about 2000 RPM. I took the car to the dealer several times only to be told " no problem found ". Finally after two months of high-idle probelms the check-engine light came on. Only then did the service department find a problem with the Idle Speed Control valve and replaced it under warranty. It seems that the Lexus techs can't solve a problem until the computer points it out for them. The AIC valve never once came up as the possible cause of the problem. It would seem to me that since the Toyota techs work on MANY times the vehicles that Lexus techs ever see that a Toyota dealer would be the obvious choice for service once a Lexus is beyond the factory warrant period. Here in Virginia Beach one of the Toyota dealers is also owned by the owner of the only Lexus dealer. Guess which Toyota dealer refuses to do ANY service work on a Lexus, even an oil/filter change!

Dont you notice any power/performance loss or anything on 87 octane??

There has been no noticable difference in performance since using 87 octane fuel. We usually use BP regular and get about 16-17 MPG in town and about 26-27 MPG on trips. Premium fuel in this area is usually about $ .30 higher per gallon than regular. There is no need to use premium fuel in THIS RX300. Maybe the newer RX's need it but this one works great on regular! Even the new Highlanders and Camrys don't need premium fuel, and the RX's use the same engine/power-train as they do.

There has been no noticable difference in performance since using 87 octane fuel. We usually use BP regular and get about 16-17 MPG in town and about 26-27 MPG on trips. Premium fuel in this area is usually about $ .30 higher per gallon than regular. There is no need to use premium fuel in THIS RX300. Maybe the newer RX's need it but this one works great on regular! Even the new Highlanders and Camrys don't need premium fuel, and the RX's use the same engine/power-train as they do.

Yeah I have used 87 octane already.Runs pretty good except I can tell the difference on the highway.AND when the winter fuel comes out,It really has no power on regular.