Lifters Noise - Rx300

BigCanoer

Right after having my oil and oil filter changed, the lifter/s became noisy upon startup. The noise goes away after about 3 – 4 minutes.

Since the problem showed up right after an oil & filter change, could the oil filter have a defective oil valve which is allowing the oil to drain back into the oil pan and is the cause of the problem?

Background:

I bought my 1999 RX300 new and it has 57,000 miles on it. Yes, 57,000 miles. I drive it every two or three days and am now averaging 3,000 annually.

I have always changed the oil every 2,000 to 3,000 miles due to the known sludge problem with this engine. In other words, I keep the engine oil very clean.

Any insight on my problem?

Thanks

do you change oil yourself? What weight oil are you using? what kind of oil filter are you using?

Thanks for replying.

I have never changed it myself, as it is too hard for me to get to the oil filter.

I have used the Atlanta Lexus dealer, then the local Toyota dealer and now the local GoodYear dealer.

They are using NAPA Gold 10W30 motor oil.

And they use a NAPA oil filter number 21348.

Right after having my oil and oil filter changed, the lifter/s became noisy upon startup. The noise goes away after about 3 – 4 minutes.

Since the problem showed up right after an oil & filter change, could the oil filter have a defective oil valve which is allowing the oil to drain back into the oil pan and is the cause of the problem?

Background:

I bought my 1999 RX300 new and it has 57,000 miles on it. Yes, 57,000 miles. I drive it every two or three days and am now averaging 3,000 annually.

I have always changed the oil every 2,000 to 3,000 miles due to the known sludge problem with this engine. In other words, I keep the engine oil very clean.

Thanks

BC- If it were a defective anti-drainback valve, it should only take 2-3 seconds for the noise to disappear, not 3-4 min. I would think Napa oil and filter should be good quality- but that's only a guess, going on Napa's reputation for quality. I know there are those who will disagree with me, but I respect their right to and I trust they will respect my mine also. I have been in automotive all my life, and though I know there are good major chain tire and oil change places that do that kind of service, but as for me, as a general rule, I wouldn't trust them to do that kind of service to my car for even emergency situations, much less on a routine basis. Waaaay to maaany stories of incompetent work by less than skilled personnel. I would at least much more trust the Lexus or Toyota dealers. Can still have bad experiences there but certainly less of a chance. It may not help at all, but I think for the price of an oil and filter change, I might at least consider having it done again at the Toyota dealer. At least if it still does it then, you know you probably need to try a GOOD lifter additive. Good luck!

Background:

Thanks

BC- If it were a defective anti-drainback valve, it should only take 2-3 seconds for the noise to disappear, not 3-4 min. I would think Napa oil and filter should be good quality- but that's only a guess, going on Napa's reputation for quality. I know there are those who will disagree with me, but I respect their right to and I trust they will respect my mine also. I have been in automotive all my life, and though I know there are good major chain tire and oil change places that do that kind of service, but as for me, as a general rule, I wouldn't trust them to do that kind of service to my car for even emergency situations, much less on a routine basis. Waaaay to maaany stories of incompetent work by less than skilled personnel. I would at least much more trust the Lexus or Toyota dealers. Can still have bad experiences there but certainly less of a chance. It may not help at all, but I think for the price of an oil and filter change, I might at least consider having it done again at the Toyota dealer. At least if it still does it then, you know you probably need to try a GOOD lifter additive. Good luck!

NAPA Gold filters are made by and identical to Wix, considered by many to be one of the best filters out there. Check out Bobistheoilguy for more details. Don't know about NAPA oil.

Agree with code58, By chance did you check the oil level, and is the oil clean?

Yes, I checked the oil level and the oil is very clean.

I'm going to run it, with a wait and see.

Can any one suggest a good lifter additive?

Thanks

NAPA oil is made by Ashland Oil Company, the same folks who make Valvoline. In fact, NAPA oil is probably Valvoline in a NAPA bottle. Valvoline is a highly-respected supplier, so your NAPA oil will be just fine....

Thanks

I can tell you I got very good results, as far as eliminating lifter noise, from a product called Engine Restore. That being said, I did not use the product on my Lexus, but on my former vehicle, a '93 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 OHV. Our Lexus engines are Overhead Cams, so lifter noise should not be as much of an issue, IMO.

I would also tell you that I am a firm believer in synthetic oil. I'm running Mobil 1 5-30 plus their filter in my Lex. In my Explorer I used Castrol Syntec. I sold it to my brother-in-law two weeks ago, and with over 240,000 miles on it, the engine still did not use any appreciable amount of oil, and ran perfectly.

Thanks

I can tell you I got very good results, as far as eliminating lifter noise, from a product called Engine Restore. That being said, I did not use the product on my Lexus, but on my former vehicle, a '93 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 OHV. Our Lexus engines are Overhead Cams, so lifter noise should not be as much of an issue, IMO.

I would also tell you that I am a firm believer in synthetic oil. I'm running Mobil 1 5-30 plus their filter in my Lex. In my Explorer I used Castrol Syntec. I sold it to my brother-in-law two weeks ago, and with over 240,000 miles on it, the engine still did not use any appreciable amount of oil, and ran perfectly.

Hey ricco I`m just curious,why are you a firm believer in synthetic oil??

Thanks

Good question, and there are many reasons why I use only synthetic. Synthetic oils were developed from jet turbine technology...engines were mandated by federal regulations to continue to rotate even if shut down, and the temps at 35,000 feet are often less than -50F. Regular petroleum oil solidifies at this temp, and ceases to be a lubricant, whereas synthetics continue to flow and lubricate. On the other side of the temp scale, synthetics break down at much higher temps than petroleum oils, thus offering extended protection in an overheat situation. Also, synthetics don't "gel", a common problem with the 3.0 liter engine run with petroleum oils. Assuming you drive normally, you can change your oil at extended intervals.

I remember the first time I put synthetic oil in my car...it was in 1994, in the wintertime. The low that night was about 10 degrees F, and when I went out to start my car the next morning, I was amazed at how easily it turned over...like it was 80 degrees. I was sold from that alone. I am sure there are many benefits in addition to the ones I have listed. One thing for sure, the only benefit from using petroleum oil is the cheaper price...but in my opinion it would be "penny-wise and pound-foolish" to do so. My two cents.

Thanks

Good question, and there are many reasons why I use only synthetic. Synthetic oils were developed from jet turbine technology...engines were mandated by federal regulations to continue to rotate even if shut down, and the temps at 35,000 feet are often less than -50F. Regular petroleum oil solidifies at this temp, and ceases to be a lubricant, whereas synthetics continue to flow and lubricate. On the other side of the temp scale, synthetics break down at much higher temps than petroleum oils, thus offering extended protection in an overheat situation. Also, synthetics don't "gel", a common problem with the 3.0 liter engine run with petroleum oils. Assuming you drive normally, you can change your oil at extended intervals.

I remember the first time I put synthetic oil in my car...it was in 1994, in the wintertime. The low that night was about 10 degrees F, and when I went out to start my car the next morning, I was amazed at how easily it turned over...like it was 80 degrees. I was sold from that alone. I am sure there are many benefits in addition to the ones I have listed. One thing for sure, the only benefit from using petroleum oil is the cheaper price...but in my opinion it would be "penny-wise and pound-foolish" to do so. My two cents.

Very good explanation. :D

Thanks

I agree, Lexus 114- I like a man that knows why he's doing what he's doing. Very good and thorough answer. I have never used synthetic and don't feel with the quality of today's oils that it is necessary, but I use what I feel is one of the best dino's you can buy and change it and filter (always use OEM) every 3k mi. I would never bad mouth Synthetic and I have been in Springfield, Mo. in the winter (headed overseas from Ft. Leonardwood) and I understand why Ricco uses it! :lol: