2 Strange Noises From The 2000 Es

AxlxA

at 36k-ish miles, i started to hear a few strange noises:

1) when i'm turning the steering wheel at a slow speed, i can hear a kind of a rubbing noise not necessarily from the steering wheel itself but maybe the columns or belts it is connected to.

2) when i am driving normally in a straight line for varying mph, i hear a metalic scratching noise in the front left wheel. dealer said "the brake sensor was in contact with the brakes so we had to replace the entire brake"(cost a bundle) i do not think that actually fixed the problem because a few hours later, i heard it again. i can only hear it when i'm driving next to the curb on left side, a wall on left side or a roll of houses close to me. it's the echo effects that allows me to notice the scratching sound. i took it back to the dealers the next day and they took it out for a drive again, and said heard nothing. so nothing was fixed. i've driven about 2000 miles after that and the noise didn't get any louder or softer.

i wonder if anyone has dealt with these specific problems.

ps, i'm beginning to doubt if the dealers actually comply with my requests or if they just say they do. because every time i bring it in, i dont feel anything changed. like a 30k check up... shouldn't they atleast tighten my e-brakes? or after that diagnostic of the brake sensor... and replaced new brakes.. they told me that it's at "10" for front, "5" for back, but when i brake from 30mph... i dont feel any difference, i still have to step on it pretty hard. i really question if they had done anything at all.

I wouldnt' take it back to the dealer for the same problem, sounds like your dissatisfied with their service anyway. take it to a brake / allignment shop and pay them the 100 bucks to diagnose it. I personally just have a general dislike for dealer anything..... <_<

Sounds like they misdiagnosed your problem the first time, but at least narrowed it down to not being your braking system. Did you have an allignment done after the wheels were put on?

Just thinking, maybe the sound your hearing out of the wheels / combined with a rubbing noise and/or vibration in the steering wheel are linked somehow.

just my 2 cents,

btw, nice car ! And IMO, champagne color is very nice looking and also the easiest color in the world to maintain. :)

It could be a wheel bearing starting to go bad...

Definately sounds like you've got a not so hot dealer. Generally you shouldn't feel anything different after a maintenance because the maintenance is preventative, they're not replacing anything that has changed the way the car behaves.

To answer your question:

1) Your steering column boot cover is dry. All you need to do is lube it up with silicon.

2) Sound like your backingplate is rubbing against the rotor, or the rotors are squeaking.

www.jpimportz.org

Many reputable dealers and maintenance facilities will rediagnose the problem for free if you are dissatisfied with the repair. At 36k miles(?), is your car still under warranty for non-wear items?

Just return to the dealer and calmly explain the situation to the same service advisor. Avoid getting emotional over the issue and your demeanor will likely work in your favor.

Lastly, I've found it cheaper at times to just turn my music a little louder. (just kidding)

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

thank you all who replied. i think i'll just leave it as it is til more problems arise. the other cars in my family are so old. today, we've got so many tire problems. '92 plymouth van's steering is wobbling and front tires are old and a little cracky. so took it to big-o and had htem realign + replace. took a long time for that... $361 bucks! the car drove out fine and stuff but the next day, when my dad drove it a long distance, he said it suddenly lost its brakes! now we're in a dilemma cause tire replacement shoudlnt' touch the brakes right? or the re-alignment doesn't require to take off the brakes? anywho, i called big-o and they said they didn't do anythign with the brakes but will take a look at it. i dont think they have the proper equipement to diagnose brake problems so i just told my dad to take it to a mechanic.

the other car in the family is a 93 corolla. some how, the front right tire became absolutely flat, running on the rim. didn't notice this for 2 miles. replaced w/ spare and took it to big-o again. they said they can't fix the flat cause the tire is also cracking. so now.... i have 2 cars that can't really be driven. and my lexus is not with me. what a sad sad day.

thank you all who replied. i think i'll just leave it as it is til more problems arise.

I wouldn't do that. Especially since the car is under warranty still, I would definately get everything looked at while it still is...

Especially since these noises started after a service, it should be a free stop...

would the warranty really cover these items? because these problems might have arised due to wear and tear. i do not know the exact warranty coverage. the time i brought my car in to inspect for the sound on the left front wheel, they did charge me a fee for "fixing the brake sensor," came out to like $300+. i dont know anything, teach me wise ones.

You have no idea what the noises could be, I'd at least have somebody do a diagnostic on them...

Anyways, like with any problem its always going to cost more to fix down the road once the problem gets worse.