Harmonic Balancer Bolt Removal?

litespeedman

litespeedman,

Well done on the design of the "special tool". :D I installed 4.56 gears in my Jeep a couple of years ago and made something very similar to prevent the pinion shaft from turning while installing the pinion nut to 350 lb-ft.

gaknut,

ALL good points ... especially the breaker bar example. You're right that at times a 12 point is the only viable option ... and yes, I have 12 point sockets. I've only broken one socket and it was some cheap Asian brand that I had in my off road tool box. I was using a 1/2" breaker bar, 1/2" to 3/8" adapter and a 12 point socket. After that I replaced all of the sockets in my off road tool box with American steel since I don't like the idea of that long walk home!!

:)

In marine environments rust can change the shape of the hex. Suspension parts get salt on them too from winter de-icing. Six point is again the only way to go.

And when you work on old vehicles there is no substitute for the flame wrench, and a big pair of straight jaw vice grips.

Not just marine environments. Try 20 year old vehicles in salt covered roads. When bolts become eroded and otherwise damaged that is an entirely different animal. I, too have resorted to the flame torch and vise grip method when little else will work. Have also drilled out more than my share of broken bolts. I also own a 55 T-bird and a 67 Mustang conv so am familiar with working on old vehicles and weak bolts and retainers. I agree 6 point sockets are preferable but I will use 4 point if they will get the job done! ;)

when i replaced my timing belt i just went to the autozone and rented a special tool to remove the harmonic balancer. rent is free you just have to pay 30$ as deposit. if you want detailed instrucions on how to do it and set the timing back let me know and i will email you an article that i wrote about the timing belt/water pump replacement.