N.america/canada Winter Driving - No Traction Control

Porschefan

Hi Guys

So i'm hopefully moving to Calgary by the end of the year, and have a '96 LS400 with no traction control, should i bother taking it with me :)

I was looking at the costs of importing it anyway, as it was built in Japan there is an extra cost i believe, but i was thinking about the fact it has no traction control and so would it even be suitable to import.

Anyone tried driving in harsh winters in one of these monsters without traction control?

Hi Guys

So i'm hopefully moving to Calgary by the end of the year, and have a '96 LS400 with no traction control, should i bother taking it with me :)

I was looking at the costs of importing it anyway, as it was built in Japan there is an extra cost i believe, but i was thinking about the fact it has no traction control and so would it even be suitable to import.

Anyone tried driving in harsh winters in one of these monsters without traction control?

Don;t worry about it as people have been driving in the snow since they invented the automobile. I grew up in New England on rear wheel drive cars. All you have to do is get a nice set of snow tires for the rear and two 40 lbs bags of dirt and a shovel. Put the tires on about Thanksgiving and you will be fine. Place the bags on the left and right side in your truck and you will be amazed what you can drive through.

In fact, I have a set of 16 or 17 inch OEM lexus rims for sale if you want them. They looked great on my 91 lexus although i think they will bolt up to a wheels but they did not work on my 2000 ls. If you want me to send off some pictures, let me know.

GDF

These beasts do great in the snow.

The majority of snow driving lies in the hands of the driver.

Since the gas tank is right over the rear axle of these demons, just keep a full tank of gas.

:cheers:

Thanks Guys, i know after its rained here i can easily get the rear to spin up if i'm not careful.

Damn and i was really looking for a good excuse to get an A4 Avant quattro, used obviously. Especially now i'm going to be looking after my sisters 10 year old Black Lab (quarantine UK issue) for 6 months. I'm not sure how he'll like sitting on the back seats :)

A black lab without a truck or wagon just doesn't seem right somehow

No trac, no problem. Calgary only really has 2 months of real winter to worry about and snow accumulation is not as bad as you would think.. I have trac but very rarely do I use it.

Snow driving is really in the hands of the driver, if you like to go fast on slippery roads youor gonna get into trouble whether its a fw, rw or 4x4.

It's kinda funny, on the qe2 during bad weather I see more 4x4's and trucks in the ditch than I do cars.

You'll be in for many a headache if you want a VW vehicle :rolleyes:

Those are vehicles I can genuinely say are, nothing but trouble B) haha

Yeah maybe, i just like the Avant A4 especially if it was the quattro, although i know nothing of their reliability.

No trac, no problem. Calgary only really has 2 months of real winter to worry about and snow accumulation is not as bad as you would think.. I have trac but very rarely do I use it.

Snow driving is really in the hands of the driver, if you like to go fast on slippery roads youor gonna get into trouble whether its a fw, rw or 4x4.

It's kinda funny, on the qe2 during bad weather I see more 4x4's and trucks in the ditch than I do cars.

Really only 2 months, cool i had it in my head i was looking at around 4 months, with slippery roads all over the place. I plan on going skiing, alot, and need to make sure my vehicle is sure footed.

S classes stink in snow,

If it has not trac i would not bother bringing it and instead sell it and buy a 98-00 model for slightly more money and import that instead.

it will have a duty cost but you should have an allowance for moving.

I've been driving a 1990 and 1993 LS in the winters of St. Paul, MN for the last 6 years. Traction control helps but not manditory. More important is going to 4 winter tires (not snow tires) from November trough March. Winter tires, with their softer rubber compound plus many sipes, make a world of driving difference in the snow. You can spend a lot on Blizzaks but I have found Winterforce, sold by Firestone dealers, to provide excellent traction at about 1/2 the price. Good luck.

I've been driving a 1990 and 1993 LS in the winters of St. Paul, MN for the last 6 years. Traction control helps but not manditory. More important is going to 4 winter tires (not snow tires) from November trough March. Winter tires, with their softer rubber compound plus many sipes, make a world of driving difference in the snow. You can spend a lot on Blizzaks but I have found Winterforce, sold by Firestone dealers, to provide excellent traction at about 1/2 the price. Good luck.

I drove my 91 LS from manitoba to BC, though Calgary this previous winter, all through large snowfall areas, and really crappy conditions, and I stayed with the traffick no problem...with exception the crazy rigpigs in Alberta(you will see exactly what i mean when you get there)... Good winter tires, and you will be fine. Not all-season, not all-weather, WINTER.

WELCOME TO CANADA!!!

Best bet is to buy a second set of rims and put winter tires on them and just swap entire wheel in fall and spring. It’s hard on tires to mount them and tear them off a rim twice a year.

Also I'd put 300-350 pounds of weight in the trunk for added weight over the rear axle in winter. In IL Menard's (similar to a Home Depot or Revy in Canada) sells these plastic bag "tubes" of sand for this very purpose (I think they’re around 80 pounds each). Just use them in winter and either store or throw away in spring.

Most accidents in snow climates are caused by failure to stop, not failure to go. Cars have had brakes on all 4 wheels for more than 60 years now. You also have ABS which is even better.

...and the best way to stop in the snow, is to pop the car into neutral when coming to a stop. This takes the torque of the engine out of the equation, and lets the resistance of the snow against the tires help to control the car.