Flasher Replacement? + New Stereo Head Unit

I just installed an aftermarket stereo head unit in my 93 ES300 and it works great. Crutchfield really helped me a lot with the aftermarket head installation - wiring diagrams, troubleshooting, etc. I installed a JVC head unit, Metra mounting kit/face, and OEM-2 adapter. I'm still using the old speakers and amplifier, and the sound is really great - much better than with the old stock head unit. The only problem was a hum and alternator noise in the output, which I solved by running a ground wire from the head unit to the amp under the pass. seat.

However, now I have two small problems that popped up as soon as I finsihed the stereo wiring job: no turn signals and no warning flashers. I can find no other electrical problems. I checked the all fuses related to the turn signals and warning flashers circuit(s) and they all looks fine. I didn't mess with any wires except those which used to plug into the old factory stereo.

I'm assuming the problem is with the flasher unit. I fould info at Autozone web site that the flasher is located behind the glove compartment but I pulled off the black panel cover underneath that area and could see no flasher (and I've seen a picture of it and know what to look for).

Before removing more panels etc, does someone have specific details on where and how to locate the flasher. Maybe someone even has another explanation for loss of flasher function?

Thanks

Rich

However, now I have two small problems that popped up as soon as I finsihed the stereo wiring job: no turn signals and no warning flashers. I can find no other electrical problems. I checked the all fuses related to the turn signals and warning flashers circuit(s) and they all looks fine. I didn't mess with any wires except those which used to plug into the old factory stereo.

Rich,

I have experienced that problem with installs in the past, but on a camry. First, check the fuses for functionality and not apperance (they may have a fine crack). If they turn out ok, then see if you may have accidentally unplugged or pulled on the hazard light switch wire. Lastly, recheck the wiring you did.

Here's a link: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail...191&type=Stereo

And, if that doesn't help, keep asking on this forum and I'll see what else I can find.

Rich,

When I called Crutchfield a few weeks ago about putting a new head unit in my 94, he said there wasn't any way to adapt the output of the head unit to the factory amp.

I was puzzled, but took him at face value. I mean, I've done this on a Bose system in a Jetta, fer Chrissakes; it shouldn't be that difficult.

What's this OEM-2 adapter?

Hey adam1991

My install worked like this: speaker leads on the head unit wiring harness were wired to OEM-2 adapter. Power leads and ground on the head unit wiring harness were wired around the OEM-2 directly to factory power wires. Speaker output leads from the OEM-2 were wired to factory wires leading to amp.

Originally I was not told about needing the OEM-2 but then later I read that using the factory amp would require modification of the signal coming from the new headunit. The second person I spoke with at Crutchfield told me I needed the OEM-2, so I added it ($29.99) to my head unit order, and during installation I spoke with 3 different folks at Crutchfiled tech support and they all knew about OEM-2 and how to wire it, etc. They also had all the wiring identification and photos/diagrams I needed.

Here's a link to OEM-2 info at the manufacturers site:

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/oem1.htm

Good luck! It took me most of a day to get my installation done but it was definitely worth it.

Rich

RE: Flasher replacement 93 ES300

1) Fuses are fine, tested with ohmmeter. And I want to check the flasher (quick, I hoped) before taking out the stereo again and checking for problems there (lots of time required).

2) I still can't locate the flasher. For 93 ES300, Autozone website says:

FRONT SEATING AREA, PASSENGER SIDE, UNDER DASH, MOUNTED BEHIND GLOVE COMPARTMENT CAVITY

I can't find it.

3) For a 93 Camry, Autozone website:

FRONT SEATING AREA, DRIVER SIDE, UNDER DASH, MOUNTED DRIVER SIDE OF STEERING COLUMN

Can't find it here, either.

Good grief, do I need to take it to a mechanic to change a flasher?!

Help, please. Surely someone has done this themselves?

Thanks

Rich

I remember plugging the 3 connectors into the A/C unit before finishing the job, but you are right, I should check again. I was thinking that there were a lot of wires on the blue plug for the flasher button and so that if it wasn't plugged in there would be more problems than just the flashers. But maybe not.

Thanks

Rich

the hazard light actually does not plug into the ac rear panel

althought it is located on the unit

the button is off to the side and so is the plug for it

the hazard button isonly 1 inch deep while the rest of the unitis about 6 inches

heh... don't know bout the flasher, but for those that are still wondering if there's any way to use the stock amp and speakers really well... i think i've had the simplest experience possible. i bought a wiring harness from my local best buy and a well experienced audio tech helped me do the install right outside the back garage. basically i took the wiring harness... wires for each speaker, ground, antenna, acc, etc. and also 4 rca plugs. amazingly... i used the 4 rca plugs... using 2 2-to-1 rca adapters to plug right into my deck, connected the normal wires (ground, acc, antenna, etc) and stuck the thing in. my radio is a bit hay wire, but then again my mast is broken and i unplugged it... not sure how well it does plugged in with power... but i've had great sound wish the stock amp... just lost the fader from front to rear. only have left to right... heh. pretty simple and cheap too. i've actually been asked if i got subs in my car (waitin for 2 12 JL's for cheap) pretty wierd... but the performance of my audio is great. just throwin this out there.. probably out of place too...

mod placing an out of place post woo hoo. :)

kev

Okay, the hot tip that the flasher plug is offset from the A/C unit plugs was the key to jogging my memory. I pulled the stereo+a/c console out again. Sure enough, I left the warning flasher button unplugged - reinserted the plug and put the console back in and everything is okay. Thanks!

I still wonder where the flasher unit is, though.....

And NOW Metra makes a harness. Hmmph. I guess Crutchfield is not exactly on the cutting edge after all.....