Air Filter Question...

Hi guys/gals,

I'm about to change my stock air filter and I was curious if anyone tried the K&N brand filter? Does it make a difference compare to the OEM/stock filter? And is it worth it to get the K&N over the factory filter?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys/gals,

I'm about to change my stock air filter and I was curious if anyone tried the K&N brand filter? Does it make a difference compare to the OEM/stock filter? And is it worth it to get the K&N over the factory filter?

Thanks in advance!

Disclaimer: I haven't done any tests regarding which air filter is better.

If you are talking about using the K&N 33-2345 that costs between $45 to $60 dollars, I really wouldn't bother assuming you are driving under "normal" conditions. The OEM filter sold by irontoad is $17.60.

Here are a few questions I would ask:

1. Are you driving around very dusty areas that require frequent changes of air filters? If so, then the K&N filter is worth it since it claims it can be "washable" and reused.

2. If you are driving under normal conditions and basically following the maintenance schedule (i.e. changing air filters every 30K miles), then why bother? Getting an extra 1-4 horsepower is not going to make your car go much faster.

3. I just looked up the installation hints and guidelines of the K&N filter provided on the K&N website. It is not that simple if you want to install it perfectly by following every single step. If you are not familiar in installing the air filter, and are planning to ask the dealership to install it for you, I will not expect the dealship to follow the instructions by heart. i.e. They probably won't do a good job. Do you really expect them to apply the sealing grease (not saying your car really needs it) properly? The really good mechanics who really love and passionate about cars work in independent shops and performance shops, but not dealerships.

4. Say you did get the filter, and install it perfectly, are you really going to clean the filter by yourself? Your time of cleaning the filter is probably more expensive than just getting the OEM filter, pop it in, and call it a day.

My 2 cents. :D

Air filters are pretty much a matter of personal preference. I've run K&N, TRD, and Blitz. Currently using Blitz in the FSport inatke. Cleaning and oiling a filter doesn't take much time and doesn't need to be done very often. As of now though I prefer the dry filter such as the Blitz. Any of the high flow filter work well with a JoeZ intake pipe and have been dynoed at +5 or so hp gains.

Cleaning a K&N air filter is very easy -- take it out, spray it with the cleaner, let it dry, spray with the lubricate, let dry, replace. The only thing is waiting before you can put it in. I clean them once a year.

The results of having one, of course, vary depending on how much of an air flow intake restriction there is in the vehicle. In my 5.0 Mustang it seemed to make a noticeable difference. In my Jeep Cherokee it makes a cool whistling sound but I can't feel any difference. In my F150 no cool whistle or felt difference.

I like them though. I haven't looked at the Lexus air filters, but the K&N cloth is definitely a step up from say Fram paper filters.

regards

Hi guys/gals,

Thanks in advance!

Hi!!:

Like so many performance products, what you get out depned on how poor or bad the initial set up may be (headers are a good example) I have used K&N filters in the past and IMO, not worth it. I can see a gain on a poorly designed 5.0 litter V8 engine.

On a 2.5 litter, reasonably designed it is a waste of time and money.

Last one I threw away was when intentionally running a 2.0 litter Jetta with no filter at all and seeing no difference what so ever.