Ls430 Lower Control Arm Bushing

Jeffrey Davis

Yesterday I stopped by my local Lexus dealer to ask about a creaking noise when going over a bump. They diagnosed it as the lower control arm bushings and said it would cost $1400 to replace both lower control arms (parts and 5 hr labor). They also lubricated the bushings and the noise stopped.

The service writer told me that the bushings couldn't be replaced and the whole arm had to be changed. When I do a google search I find lower control arm bushings available for about $65 - $70.

My questions:

Are these the same thing?

Will it take 5 hours to replace them? (I'm guessing they aren't easy to replace.)

Since the car only has 82k how long can I go on lubing them?

Thanks,

Jeff

That wasn't the bushings they were lubing up amigo ;)

And most of the time, for the noise you're referring to and the circumstance for creating that noise, it's not the lower control arm, it's the strut rod or something similiar in design. It's been that way since the 1st LS400 hit about 80k miles. But, sometimes it starts with the lower control arm. Take a look at the attached diagram. The lower control arm is #9. It has a suggested RETAIL price of $267.14. But can be bought for $184.69 from parts.com (where I got this diagram). However, look at #s 12 and 10 in that diagram. #12 is called a "stopper", sells for about $10 bucks. And number #10 ($62 bucks) is the LS430's definition of the "strut rod bushing" of the older LS400's, which were 99% responsible for the exact same noise you're describing.

Or, even more common for the noise, is the stabilizer bar bushings, #15 in the diagram, for $12 bucks.

But either way, say you go with their suggestion and have them replace both control arms "which by the way, don't wear evenly, so the odds of both being bad at the same time are pretty remote", and pay the full retail price of $534.28 for both parts. That leaves a whopping $865.72 in labor charges alone! Trust me, I've replaced suspension components before on my own, on my old LS400. NOTHING about changing two control arms even comes close to warrant that kind of labor charge. Especially since those guys have all the power tools to do just about any repair within an hour, may two.

So, you've now experienced a visit to a Lexus "Stealership". Hope you liked the cookies, because they might appear to be free, but actually cost around $90 per chocolate chip.

What I would do: Find an indipendent mechanic that works on toyotas in general. Ask them to take a look at your car, but DON'T tell them what the dealership is saying. Just see what they come up with. But before you do, drive through a carwash with a good undercarriage spray to clean up the grease stains on the bushing from the dealership. You don't want to tip them off. My guess? Something different other than a lower control arm, for your first suspension noise. But, if I'm wrong, just buy them from parts.com, take them to any mechanic and say "please install these", and wait for him to do it.

I just paid $879 today to parts.com for new Lexus rotors, pads, ball joints, and engine mounts for my GS. Just one of those repairs alone would cost that much, at a minimum, at a Lexus dealership. And "except for the motor mounts", I'll do all of these repairs myself over the course of an afternoon soon.

post-15797-1245440365_thumb.png

• Like 1

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to the man responsible for my existance on this board, Mr. bicol-ini, an old friend! For those of you who kick around that other lexus website, do a search for my name, and you'll see the last day I was there, and when I met bicol, who sent me a message that I should check out this site. Over 4 years and nearly 3,000 posts later, here I stay!

I'm doing great man, still kicking around the ole' watering hole here. I just blew a few hundred bucks on new parts for the GS, and I must admit, it felt pretty darn good! It's a bit too long since I've had some grease under the fingernails, and starting to get that itch again.

I just checked your profile the other day to see if you were still around! How are things in your world? You surviving in these wonderful economic times? Great to hear from ya'!!! :cheers:

• 1 year later...

And most of the time, for the noise you're referring to and the circumstance for creating that noise, it's not the lower control arm, it's the strut rod or something similiar in design. It's been that way since the 1st LS400 hit about 80k miles. But, sometimes it starts with the lower control arm. Take a look at the attached diagram. The lower control arm is #9. It has a suggested RETAIL price of $267.14. But can be bought for $184.69 from parts.com (where I got this diagram). However, look at #s 12 and 10 in that diagram. #12 is called a "stopper", sells for about $10 bucks. And number #10 ($62 bucks) is the LS430's definition of the "strut rod bushing" of the older LS400's, which were 99% responsible for the exact same noise you're describing.

So I have the same problem with a 01 LS430 with the Ultra package (109,000 miles). Lucky me I just spent $4,500 on 3 new air struts. I am getting the groaning when I brake hard but I also have a lot of movement in the front end when I hit a bump. It feels loose and makes noise. Any advice on what I should start replacing. When the dealership replaced the air struts they indicated that I needed new lower control arms. I would like to avoid that expense if I can try replacing other parts. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Yesterday I stopped by my local Lexus dealer to ask about a creaking noise when going over a bump. They diagnosed it as the lower control arm bushings and said it would cost $1400 to replace both lower control arms (parts and 5 hr labor). They also lubricated the bushings and the noise stopped.

The service writer told me that the bushings couldn't be replaced and the whole arm had to be changed. When I do a google search I find lower control arm bushings available for about $65 - $70.

My questions:

Are these the same thing?

Will it take 5 hours to replace them? (I'm guessing they aren't easy to replace.)

Since the car only has 82k how long can I go on lubing them?

Thanks,

Jeff

So what did you finally do to fix the creaking?

• 3 years later...

I have an "02" model with 237K miles with the same noise when I go over slight bumps, and particularly when the brakes are being applied. I can see cracks in the rear bushings, so I assume this is the problem. Where is the best place to get these bushings, and how difficult are they to change? I have read in other posts that there is a sleeve inside this bushing that must be sawed off to remove??? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Hey Randy, I am having my 2006 LS 430 Front End worked right now. I wish I could do it myself. The Labor to replace the Front Left and Right Lower Control Arms is $75/hr. @ 3.8 hours = $285.00 Labor and those Arms are Dealer Only (I have been told by 3 mechanics) now at $306.00 each. Frustrating.

The problem are the bushings. Two Mechanics would not allow me to buy an $88 bushing and press out the old one and press in the new aftermarket bushing.

I am also having the Left and Right Front Sway Bar links and busings replaced. Parts $430, Labor 2.0 hours @$75 = $150.00 Total $590.00.

This is a good thread to start on to try to understand the problem and its costs. There are more, but, I didn't mark them. Good Luck.