Radiator Leak

John K

I recently took my 2004 GX470 (75k miles) in for routine maintenance. The shop tells me there is a pink califlower running down the radiator, indicating a leak. They recommend replacing the radiator with an after-market unit for an out-the-door cost of $583.

This shop is independent (toyota and lexus trained technicians, who formerly worked at Toyota and Lexus dealers). I stopped going to a distant dealer after my warranty expired.

Have Lexus (or GX470s in particular) had radiator leak problems? I read one other forum for Lexus owners stating that some Canadian made radiators had manufacturing problems in the mid 2000s.

Any experience out there with this? I am being soaked for $583?

I recently took my 2004 GX470 (75k miles) in for routine maintenance. The shop tells me there is a pink califlower running down the radiator, indicating a leak. They recommend replacing the radiator with an after-market unit for an out-the-door cost of $583.

This shop is independent (toyota and lexus trained technicians, who formerly worked at Toyota and Lexus dealers). I stopped going to a distant dealer after my warranty expired.

Have Lexus (or GX470s in particular) had radiator leak problems? I read one other forum for Lexus owners stating that some Canadian made radiators had manufacturing problems in the mid 2000s.

Any experience out there with this? I am being soaked for $583?

My 04 had same radiator leak at 80k, replaced by dealer under warranty.

As an example, GX radiator at AutoZone is $270-$300, eBay prices are $150-$250. Shops usually have their suppliers and get discounted prices.

Replacing GX radiator is not that hard, there is plenty of clearance in the front. I would ask the shop how much the labor costs and go from there.

This is interesting. Never noticed that radiator leaks were starting to become common on the GX. Luckily I never had a radiator leak (knock on wood) and I'm at 54k miles at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

On some GX the radiator will develop a leak(slow leak) on the left lower corner of the radiator. It will have a crusty pink flake build up in the area. I recommend getting a factory radiator, because the radiator hose will have a snug fit on the snout using the original hose clamps.

I think manufacturing defects are very rare, unless anything associated with welding occasionally seen as most notably, failures occur where oil residues are present within radiators if not lexus would have issued a TSB under the comprehensive warranty for such model. My 04 is still kicking perfect( touchwood) I think Premature failure will usually occur due to pitting corrosion although this will have a wide range of causes. Commonly, oxygen pitting, chloride induced pitting and pitting associated with copper plating are found. Pitting usually occurs at areas of natural stress, i.e. convex folds or near welds which are anodic sites in the radiator. Manufacturing defects are rare but where found are commonly associated with welding defects. New radiators fitted to old systems are anodic to the system and are prone to premature failure. Old radiators may eventually fail due to under deposit corrosion associated with sludge deposits, usually magnetite, at the bottom-centre of the panel, which causes pitting corrosion in the absence of any specific fault with the water or system. In most radiators sludge accumulation causes blockage, or inefficiency, long before the radiator leaks.