Playing With Diff. Tire Sizes For 01 Ls430?

Crusty1

Time to replace the tires on my 01 LS430. I'm playing with the idea of using different sizes than the oem 225/55/17. Reason? I really want more handeling. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experimented with different sizes such as 235/50/17, 245/45/17, etc. Also, has anyone tried different size tires front to back? I know some bimmers run wider and shorter tires in the back than the front. Also, I realize it's a tradeoff between ride and handeling. And with 92 hitting $3/gallon today, how do these different sizes affet the almity MPGs? Know this is asking a lot but doesn't hurt to ask!

Time to replace the tires on my 01 LS430. I'm playing with the idea of using different sizes than the oem 225/55/17. Reason? I really want more handeling. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experimented with different sizes such as 235/50/17, 245/45/17, etc. Also, has anyone tried different size tires front to back? I know some bimmers run wider and shorter tires in the back than the front. Also, I realize it's a tradeoff between ride and handeling. And with 92 hitting $3/gallon today, how do these different sizes affet the almity MPGs? Know this is asking a lot but doesn't hurt to ask!

Does this not make sense?

Well yes it does make sense. You are thinking of trying different width tires, and compensating for that width with varying aspect ratios that will give the same sidewall height as stock. The problem with that is that any handling improvement will be incremental at best. If you are staying with the stock wheel, stay with the stock tire, would be my advice.

My 92 LS has 94 wheels on it now. But I calculated the correct tire in the new 16 inch wheel to match the original diameter of the 15 inch tire size. That worked out to 225/55-16, rather than the 225/60-16 originally used on the 93-94 cars. So my sidewall height is a bit reduced, the tires look good, and handle far better than anything the 15's ever had on them. But the improvement over the stock 16 tire....well it is tough to say....I'd like to think the turn in is better.....but's that about it.

Hope this helps.