**** Newbie - Buying 05 Ls 430***

Southern_NJ

Hey guys..buying a 2005 LS 430 today with 85,000 for $18,000. Tell me, what are the best upgrades for this car for the money? This is my 3rd LS and I feel this car needs some exterior upgrades to make it stand out from looking like an old man's car (I am turning 50 this year - shhhh). Anyway, if you have ideas, pictures or thoughts, let them roll.

Look forward to your threads.

GDF

Hey guys..buying a 2005 LS 430 today with 85,000 for $18,000. Tell me, what are the best upgrades for this car for the money? This is my 3rd LS and I feel this car needs some exterior upgrades to make it stand out from looking like an old man's car (I am turning 50 this year - shhhh). Anyway, if you have ideas, pictures or thoughts, let them roll.

GDF

First of all, congrats! I wish those cars were even less than double that in Canada!

If you are looking to set yours aside, The first thing I would recommend to do is put some of your money into some new rims that look classy, idependant, and also reflect your personality and style when they are on. Not every set of rims looks good on an LS, so it definitely depends on the image you want to show.

Next, if it doesn't have it already, is window tinting. This is personal preference, but can change the overall look of your vehicle quite dramatically.

After that, Puddle lights might be a nice addition, depending on how much road salt and dirt you will be dealing with on a daily basis.

I don;t have much else to say, it will be a beautiful car regardless!

GDF

Man, used LS prices have definitely dropped substantially. That car was worth at least 30K+ a year ago. Did you get it from a dealer or private owner?

I actually really like the stock 18" 5 spoke rims. I prefer non-chrome, but that's just me. ;)

I agree with the window tinting. Don't worry about the LS having an "old man" image. I'm 35 and on my 2nd one. Yes, a few of my friends give me a hard time, however there's a reason why so many old men (and younger men/women) buy the LS...it's a GREAT car!

Congrats!

GDF

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments. And yes, simple is so much easier on these cars. I will end up with some slight window tinting and 18 inch rims/tires.

BTW, does anyone know where to get OEM quality lexus floor mats. The ones that came with this car are shot. Thanks again.

GDF

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments. And yes, simple is so much easier on these cars. I will end up with some slight window tinting and 18 inch rims/tires.

BTW, does anyone know where to get OEM quality lexus floor mats. The ones that came with this car are shot. Thanks again.

Lexus has OEM floormats ;)

GDF

Lexus has OEM floormats ;)

That's what I hear! Actually I just washed mine in the waasher and came out half way decent; however, the car needs a new set. I was hoping to have a few of you guys shed some light on things :D

GDF

'05s still command in the upper 20k range, I think this one is cheaper because of the mileage...

Perhaps so, but that's still a pretty steep discount even at that mileage. He got a hell of a deal.

My indie was trying to get a 05 Ultra from the local dealer here late last year and they wouldn't budge off of 50K according to him, so he went for a $70K 460 instead and is now crying about it due to the amount of money he paid. Apparently he financed a good portion of the purchase and now regrets being in debt.

Just goes to prove that letting one's emotions get in the way of buying a car ensures that you'll overpay or just do something that you might regret.

'05s still command in the upper 20k range, I think this one is cheaper because of the mileage...

Perhaps so, but that's still a pretty steep discount even at that mileage. He got a hell of a deal.

My indie was trying to get a 05 Ultra from the local dealer here late last year and they wouldn't budge off of 50K according to him, so he went for a $70K 460 instead and is now crying about it due to the amount of money he paid. Apparently he financed a good portion of the purchase and now regrets being in debt.

Just goes to prove that letting one's emotions get in the way of buying a car ensures that you'll overpay or just do something that you might regret.

The guy who sold it to me inherited (sp) a 06 BMW 750 so the LS sat in his driveway...for about 2 months. He just got board with it. His list price was 20,900 on it in cars.com, then I saw an ad on craig's list for 19,500 or so. When I looked at it on Sunday. he told me all he wanted was 500 over wholesale price...basically, he wanted it moved. Trust me, the car was dirty. The good news it wasn't beat. The inside had surface dirt, the engine area dusty, and the outside was not shiney. Super nice guy though but he just lost interest. I called my local lexus dealer to see what work he had done as well as run a autocheck report 50% of the cost of carfax.

Once I brought the car home, I took out the vaccuum, bucket, cleaning supplies (Tuff Stuff works great on removing stains on fabric) and went to work. Took a few hours to do the interior alone. In fact the grime was so deep in the leather, I had to get a little more aggressive cleaner to pull the grime out. Once done, I deep conditioned the leather and it came out great.

So yes, I got a deal, but an 05 with 85,000 miles on it requires a special buyer when you are asking 20,000 dollars. This is my third LS, so I know I can get 150,000 - 175,000 car free miles from it plus it provides a certain status driving it.

Enjoy your ride...

GDF

The guy who sold it to me inherited (sp) a 06 BMW 750 so the LS sat in his driveway...for about 2 months. He just got board with it. His list price was 20,900 on it in cars.com, then I saw an ad on craig's list for 19,500 or so. When I looked at it on Sunday. he told me all he wanted was 500 over wholesale price...basically, he wanted it moved. Trust me, the car was dirty. The good news it wasn't beat. The inside had surface dirt, the engine area dusty, and the outside was not shiney. Super nice guy though but he just lost interest. I called my local lexus dealer to see what work he had done as well as run a autocheck report 50% of the cost of carfax.

Once I brought the car home, I took out the vaccuum, bucket, cleaning supplies (Tuff Stuff works great on removing stains on fabric) and went to work. Took a few hours to do the interior alone. In fact the grime was so deep in the leather, I had to get a little more aggressive cleaner to pull the grime out. Once done, I deep conditioned the leather and it came out great.

So yes, I got a deal, but an 05 with 85,000 miles on it requires a special buyer when you are asking 20,000 dollars. This is my third LS, so I know I can get 150,000 - 175,000 car free miles from it plus it provides a certain status driving it.

Enjoy your ride...

GDF

Post up some pics when you get a chance