Sc400 Plug Wires

Bandit

Has anyone replaced their factory plug wires with a high performance after-market set such as Accel, Bosch, etc.?

I thought it might be a good replacement as I am replacing man of the other electrical components.

Thanks,

Unless you are running an amplified ignition. Then wires are upgraded to shielded and larger gauge to control cross chatter and fire. Our stone age distributor set-up will do best with oem wires though. I recently read that DLI systems can benefit from some beefier wires though. Don't know if that holds water or not.

well, i've had problems with electrostatics coming from wires because insulations became bad...such !Removed! radio interference, so i am getting my new Bosch wires in friday, i'll put it in and let anyone interested know how it compares. in case this topic becomes cold by friday, interested folks can bring up the topic again since i dont have a lot of time and memory to search for past topics, thanks.

by the way, the bosch wires run at a cut-throat price of $198.99 at Kragen/Autozone.

I've been updating a Thread on a problem with an ignition coil and during this discussion, I have been contemplating changing my other coil and spark plug wires. I got the coil from Advanced Auto Parts (NextDay) for $64.99. But their plug wires were $199.00. I then checked with AutoZone and their Bosch wires were $99.00. So, I do not know if they have different grades of wire, but the most expensive ones were $99.00.

I'm sure there is a way to test the coil. I don't know how though. I would imagine that resistance would be the safest way to do it. You'd need a pin out diagram and the specs for resistance across the secondary, primary, and total. If resistance is too high or too low you will want to change it out. I'll see if I can dig it up.

The problem with Ignition Coils is that even though they test good through the resistance test, they can still go out at any time. I was driving home from work, a new Ford Taurus tried to race me, not a chance. The performance was great as always. Then, two miles down the road, I stop and make a turn, BAM, I now am now a disgruntled owner of a 4 Cylinder SC400.

Since the coil is outside the Diagnostic Loop of the ECU, there is no warning and no ECU code as to what the problem is. The ECU thought the engine was running fine. Through some trouble-shooting I determined that the first course of action was to replace the coil. Luckily, that was all it took. I will now replace the other coil and keep the used coil as a spare. I will also replace the ignition wire with a set from Bosch.

:cheers:

well its friday, and i'm suppose to be getting my $200 bosch wires but it didn't happen. for some reason kragen keeps sending me some other brand (packard) and said that it's the bosch ones i ordered. its either a load of *BLEEP*, or i'm thinking would bosch distribute their products using other names?? so im sticking with the cheaper lexus oem's.