Rx450h Pricing

So I went shopping with a couple friends of mine today for an SUV. It looks like the choice may be between a GL320 Bluetec and an RX450h.

The Lexus dealer quoted us $5000 over sticker for the RX and said that basically because it's brand new there was no room to maneuver and it was take it or leave it. Whereas if we wanted an RX400h off the pre-owned lot he could negotiate.

I was wondering if anybody else had been quoted such a high markup? I know that they are brand new but the market for SUVs, even luxury hybrid SUVs is still pretty soft right now.

even when our 400h in 2006 were all the rage, and the waiting list was a year, no dealer that i knew charged over sticker. i would call three other dealers, these guys sound like jerks to me.

even when our 400h in 2006 were all the rage, and the waiting list was a year, no dealer that i knew charged over sticker. i would call three other dealers, these guys sound like jerks to me.

I agree. We were one of the first batch of RX400h buyers in San Diego in 05 and we paid sticker - no more.

Regarding the Mercedes, you might want to consider the long-term test results that Car & Driver magazine reported not too long ago:

We made a dealer stop at 17,738 miles, after several drivers reported that the Keyless Go system was no longer unlocking the driver’s door with the touch of the handle. The dealer diagnosed a failed sensor in the door and ordered a spare from Germany.

At the 20,000-mile service, that sensor was replaced (under warranty) along with all three wiper blades ($96). We got an oil change, a more rigorous round of inspections, and a bill for $480.

Soon thereafter, our luxury diesel SUV went back to the dealer because the power-operated tailgate wouldn’t close all the way and a number of noises in the luggage area were becoming bothersome. Both problems were fixed under warranty.

A third routine service at 30,897 cost $263. The final stop came at 41,116 miles and was a whopping $1244, which included the more rigorous inspections we’d experienced at the 20K mark, along with replacing the fuel filter ($105) and the air filter ($151) and changing the transmission fluid and filter ($220).

Other than the failed door sensor and the problem with the power tailgate, the GL had only one other glitch. It mysteriously neglected to start toward the end of its time with us. The engine cranked but wouldn’t fire in several attempts over the course of an hour. But with a tow truck on its way, the GL suddenly started and never repeated this curious behavior.

All told, service was $2115—about 10 times the $210 our long-term Cadillac Escalade [November 2007] cost us. The GL also went through $1084 of tires and wipers in its 40,000 miles, whereas the Cadillac went the distance on the originals.

I'd stay away from that vehicle.

Yeah I saw that review. We Lexus owners forget how ruiniously expensive owning a modern Mercedes can be.

Unfortunately it's a company car so it's not my decision. I was actually pushing for the GX because they really want 7-8 seats but they were intrigued by the hybrid gas mileage.

I haven't been a fan of the current Mercedes lineup for a while but I must say I was surprised with how well the GL drove. Not very trucky, rides well, plenty of power with the diesel and surprising quiet. Not as quiet as the hybrid but certainly not as loud as my 240D. It also handles very well. Also the third row seat was more comfortable than the GX.

Although there are annoyances; not a fan of the touch shifter on the steering column (is this an Oldsmobile?) and the backup camera doesn't work unless you turn the radio/nav unit on. Also the Parktronic gives way less information than the IPA system on the Lexus. And of course there is always the questionable German reliability although apparently the V6 ML has improved to average according to CR.

All that said I got to poke around the LX in the showroom and that car is very impressive. It's a little out of our price range but I think my colleges were certainly intrigued. If I as looking for a 7+ passenger truck that would probably be my first choice. Assuming someone else was paying of course..... :pirate:

I agree. We were one of the first batch of RX400h buyers in San Diego in 05 and we paid sticker - no more.

Regarding the Mercedes, you might want to consider the long-term test results that Car & Driver magazine reported not too long ago:

We made a dealer stop at 17,738 miles, after several drivers reported that the Keyless Go system was no longer unlocking the driver’s door with the touch of the handle. The dealer diagnosed a failed sensor in the door and ordered a spare from Germany.

At the 20,000-mile service, that sensor was replaced (under warranty) along with all three wiper blades ($96). We got an oil change, a more rigorous round of inspections, and a bill for $480.

Soon thereafter, our luxury diesel SUV went back to the dealer because the power-operated tailgate wouldn’t close all the way and a number of noises in the luggage area were becoming bothersome. Both problems were fixed under warranty.

A third routine service at 30,897 cost $263. The final stop came at 41,116 miles and was a whopping $1244, which included the more rigorous inspections we’d experienced at the 20K mark, along with replacing the fuel filter ($105) and the air filter ($151) and changing the transmission fluid and filter ($220).

Other than the failed door sensor and the problem with the power tailgate, the GL had only one other glitch. It mysteriously neglected to start toward the end of its time with us. The engine cranked but wouldn’t fire in several attempts over the course of an hour. But with a tow truck on its way, the GL suddenly started and never repeated this curious behavior.

All told, service was $2115—about 10 times the $210 our long-term Cadillac Escalade [November 2007] cost us. The GL also went through $1084 of tires and wipers in its 40,000 miles, whereas the Cadillac went the distance on the originals.

I'd stay away from that vehicle.

Jainla. Three suggestions:

1. Costco auto buying program

2. Sam's Club auto buying program

3. call any dealer and ask for the fleet department

All will give you a better price.

Tom

So I went shopping with a couple friends of mine today for an SUV. It looks like the choice may be between a GL320 Bluetec and an RX450h.

The Lexus dealer quoted us $5000 over sticker for the RX and said that basically because it's brand new there was no room to maneuver and it was take it or leave it. Whereas if we wanted an RX400h off the pre-owned lot he could negotiate.

I was wondering if anybody else had been quoted such a high markup? I know that they are brand new but the market for SUVs, even luxury hybrid SUVs is still pretty soft right now.

I would never purchase a car that adds a "dealer markup" to a vehicle. Looks like you live in Santa Monica. Go to Longo Lexus in El Monte, CA as they are the number one dealer in the US. They never add markups. At least give them a call.

Jainla. Three suggestions:

1. Costco auto buying program

2. Sam's Club auto buying program

3. call any dealer and ask for the fleet department

All will give you a better price.

Tom

I checked Costco on a price of the Lexus RX400h a few years ago and they were giving a $2500 discount. Then I checked www.carsdirect.com, and their price was about $3100 off of sticker. I took that number to a few dealers and received the $3100 discount.

When I bought my Rx400h in February, 2009, I checked both Costco and Overstock.com. Overstock arranged 3 quotes really quickly based on my zip code. Worked out nicely. I let the 3 dealers just reach the lowest price and ended up at approx 39.7K I'd love to know what people are paying for the RX450h. Dealer today (I was killing time and stopped by Ray Catena in Freehold NJ) said "around 52K" would be the price with the usual luxury package.

I would never purchase a car that adds a "dealer markup" to a vehicle. Looks like you live in Santa Monica. Go to Longo Lexus in El Monte, CA as they are the number one dealer in the US. They never add markups. At least give them a call.

I concur about Longo in El Monte. I used them and their pricing policies as leverage against my local dealer to get my '06 without the chrome rim "dealer markup" where they charge you $1-3K for a set of chrome rims that cost them a few hundred dollars tops. Longo did not engage in this practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a test drive yesterday. So called "World's largest Lexus dealer" had only two 450h. One 2-wheel drive in the showroom and one 4-wheel drive not even for test drive (according to the sales). My wife and I took turns driving for about 5 miles each trip, and we were NOT impressed at all. With all the new technologies Lexus put into the new model, we did expect more power, more torque, but, we just did not feel that. Compared the new designs inside and out with our '08 400h, we just love ours much better. Yes, it's more fuel efficient, NAV now has HDD instead of DVD, and they are able to keep the price about the same (by offering steel rim on spare tire now goes under the trunk?), it still does not convince us to trade our '08 in. Besides, there's only limited quantiy / colors are available (the salesperson showed me there will be only 6 available this month with only 1 4-wheel drive), and there's only one option you can choose now (go check it out on Lexus website since dealer doesn't even have printed brochures). We are really kind of disappointed about the new 450h if compared to '08 400h.

Hi all

New member here...and new owner of a 2010 RX450h AWD...took delivery on 7/7/2009

If you order one you'll get it at MSRP but the early ones are all equipped the same (very well equipped). If you want

specific equipment you'll have to wait many, many months for delivery.

If I can figure out how to scan the window sticker I'll post it.

So far I'm very impressed and satisfied with the car. It's a technical marvel. I've never owned a Lexus before.

I've purchased several MBZ's over the years. The fit and finish on the RX450h are as good as any car I've owned.

I'll try to post impressions and experiences as they unfold.

Go to overstock.com and go through the new car search. If your zip doesn't come up, keep plugging in zips of nearby major metro dealers. Eventually you get to one that gives you a price on the 450h. Currently is $3000 over invoice, or about $200 under MSRP. I used this on a new 2009 RAV4 recently and was working with the dealer at $200 below invoice.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked at a 2010 RX450h AWD with a July 2009 production date with the following options stickered at $53,970 and the dealer in Southfiled, MI was willing to sell for $50,000 plus taxes fees. They had four or five of them on the lot and were willing to get another color from a sister dealership.

RX450h AWD

Navigation System Package Navigation System Package includes:

- HDD Navigation System [17] including Remote Touch device, voice command, color LCD display with integrated backup camera [18], 12-speaker audio system and enhanced Bluetooth® technology [9]

- XM NavTraffic® and XM NavWeather™ [17]

- Lexus 12-speaker Premium Sound System with Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) and in-dash, single-feed, six-disc CD auto-changer

- Smog-sensing automatic recirculation mode for climate-control system

Additional Options:

- Premium Package

- Comfort Package

- Towing Prep Package

- 19 x 7.5-in split five-spoke alloy wheels with Superchrome finish and 235/55VR19 all-season tires

- Light Emitting Diode (LED) headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS), intelligent high-beam headlamps and headlamp washers

- Intuitive Parking Assist

- Wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob

- Power folding mirrors

- All weather front, rear, cargo mats

- Cargo net, Wheel locks

- Remote engine starter

I ended up buying a 2010 RX350 AWD and will go for an 2010 RX450h in December 2009 during their year end event.