Why Do People Hate Lexus?

Lucky13

Well first of all we do have to admit that back in the day, mid-90s, that a lot of the Lexus line-up was too similar to the Toyota line-up. Just lately that Toyota has made a bigger distinction between the two even though we all know that the fit and finish, and insulation of Lexus is still far from it's Toyota counterpart.

You guys should see how the BMW guys talk about us Lexus owners hehe. I'm the only one who's actually "neutral" between Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes, in their forum. They're worse than drug addicts. They could already be driving a 2008 or 2009 550i but they are still willing to trade someone who has an M5, or they are "saving" money for that M5 someday... :lol:

The 528i is a fun machine to drive, but something still "excites" me more when I drive my GX470 ;)

The new car smell on the 528i is very addicting, but then again when I visit my local Lexus dealership I feel like I can sleep inside a brand new Lexus with their scent also lol

I love how they use the fact that a BMW M3 is faster than a Lexus IS350 on the track, so hence it's a better car, but when the Nissan GTR smoked the M3, Z4 and any other production BMW, for about the same price, the logic no longer applies, the BMW engineering is still far supierior. Yeah, whatever. If the BMW wasn't as fast on the track as it is, then they would have nothing to point to and comfort themselves with spending all that money. Even the Corvette is actually a better buy. And boy do they hate the Vette's!

And don't take me wrong. I like BMW's. I like MB, and Farrari's and even a few not so popular makes. But the truth is that in order to satisfy the widest range of comforts power, handling and style FOR THE STREET, I happen to think that Lexus does it best. It's just the right ratio of luxury to sport. And it comes with a better reliability history. If I could take Willow Springs ave, hang a right on Laguna Seca, and park it in the paddox all day while I conducted my business, then maybe I would have a different set of priorities for my everyday car.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do German car enthusiasts always play the "engineering card"

....they are not nearly as reliable as Toy/Lex, or pretty much anything!

So wouldn't that be an engineering failure??

...Drives better than an LS...

A Lexus LS? That depends on what your definition of "drives better" is. The S Type handles better than the LS, no question. Its nowhere near as smooth or quiet as a Lexus LS though. Plus its a smaller car, doesn't really compete with the LS.

Yes, a Lexus LS. And yes, our S-Type does indeed drive better (meaning better handling, quicker response, smoother on the road surfaces, and far less body lean on the turns) than the four or five Lexus LS models that I've driven over the years (ranging in age from the mid-90s to the mid-00s). Yes, the S-Type is a bit smaller, but what Jaguar has done with the suspension in that car is amazing. Expensive as hell to fix if suspension components break and need replacement, but amazing nonetheless. The S-Type is relatively quiet given its performance capabilities, but the LS is indeed quieter.

While I like and respect the LS series, I never have enough legroom and headroom in any of them. I have more legroom and headroom in our S-Type (which makes perfect sense given the long hood) and while it is not as roomy for me as my Ram cabin is, I can drive the S-Type for three hours straight with no cramping whereas the longest I can stay in an LS is about 90 minutes....

I drove my LS from Salt Lake City, UT to Port Angeles, WA

~950ish miles. Only stopped for fuel and food.

Barely any fatigue at all. So so so comfortable.

One trip, in sister's 2006 Chrysler 300.. Port Angeles, WA to Los Angeles, CA .. +1100 miles. Only stopped for fuel and food.

Not as comfortable as the LS. But it was do-able

I drove my LS from Salt Lake City, UT to Port Angeles, WA

~950ish miles. Only stopped for fuel and food.

Barely any fatigue at all. So so so comfortable.

One trip, in sister's 2006 Chrysler 300.. Port Angeles, WA to Los Angeles, CA .. +1100 miles. Only stopped for fuel and food.

Not as comfortable as the LS. But it was do-able

If I remember right, RX in NC is like 8 foot 4, and has a 90 inch reach. :rolleyes: I think he likes that Jag so much because he can rest his left foot on the headlight housing without it getting to hot. LOL!!!

If you are tall you're going to be at a comfort disadvantage in any Lexus...they're just not built for people over 6'2" or so.

The only thing I disagree with is the smoothness over road surfaces. I've only driven a couple cars I thought were even as smooth and buttery over the road as an LS...and I wouldn't personally consider the S Type in the same league. The GS or the ES sure...but not the LS. S class Benz yeah....not even the Jag XJ IMHO.

Smooth1, you're not too far off the mark. There just aren't any cars out there these days that I can truly get comfortable in for any reasonable length of time. It takes a full-size pick-up truck to provide me with the legroom and headroom that I need.

My very first car was a hand-me-down four-door 1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with a 454 cubic-inch Rocket V8, back in the days of the true land barge in the early 70s. That thing was probably 18 feet long or better. It was like rolling down the road while sitting in your living room. I could kick back and drive that car all day. Of course, gas was about 35 cents a gallon at that time, so nobody really worried about gas mileage in those days....

Smooth1, you're not too far off the mark. There just aren't any cars out there these days that I can truly get comfortable in for any reasonable length of time. It takes a full-size pick-up truck to provide me with the legroom and headroom that I need.

My very first car was a hand-me-down four-door 1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with a 454 cubic-inch Rocket V8, back in the days of the true land barge in the early 70s. That thing was probably 18 feet long or better. It was like rolling down the road while sitting in your living room. I could kick back and drive that car all day. Of course, gas was about 35 cents a gallon at that time, so nobody really worried about gas mileage in those days....

:lol::lol:

Just so I can put this in scale, have you sat in a Toyota Tundra supercab? How does that size up for you? I sat in that thing is HUGE!!!! You need a remote control for the center stack controls so you don't have to keep walking back and fourth!

Yes, I've been in the Tundras. They would probably work for me, but I just love my 1999 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 litre V8. It has a huge cabin. It only has 56,000 miles on the odometer. It will freakin' fly. It just doesn't break (although I did have to replace the speed sensor on the transmission housing back in late June - cost me a whopping $58). It's ten-and-a-half years old now and it is unquestionably the best vehicle I've ever had for the purposes I need it for. I think the only way I'll get rid of this truck is if 1. somebody T-bones me in it or 2. gas goes to $8 a gallon and stays there....

• 1 year later...

The most common complaint I hear is driver removal. Meaning that the cars are too quiet and you don't get the full driving pleasure and involvement as you do in a BMW. That argument is very accurate in my opinion. A 740IL is much more fun to drive than and LS. I also hate the engineering card. I always say the same thing as you guys. If the engineering is so great then why do they have so many problems?

The most common complaint I hear is driver removal. Meaning that the cars are too quiet and you don't get the full driving pleasure and involvement as you do in a BMW. That argument is very accurate in my opinion. A 740IL is much more fun to drive than and LS. I also hate the engineering card. I always say the same thing as you guys. If the engineering is so great then why do they have so many problems?

Surprised to see this thread resurrected after all this time. But, no time like the present!

The most important word in your post is "fun". As with everything in this long thread it's almost all subjective. I Like the quiet cabin and smooth ride. On a long trip the ride is soothing to me and the quiet lets me enjoy the sound system I've tweaked for all types of music. For you, the feel on the wheel of the road and the response of the car in all aspects is fun.

Viva la difference!

I now hate Lexus and I have two of them. Why? No compassion for customers. They use soy coated wiring on their cars now, creating a rodent buffet causing thousands of dollars of damage AND they refuse to do anything to fix the problem like going back to petroleum based products.

I now hate Lexus and I have two of them. Why? No compassion for customers. They use soy coated wiring on their cars now, creating a rodent buffet causing thousands of dollars of damage AND they refuse to do anything to fix the problem like going back to petroleum based products.

Elaborate further about your rodent problem.

Paul

Huh?!?

:blink: I am a little confused too...you are saying mice are chewing up your wires?

If you ever lived in the country during a Midwestern winter, you quickly find that when the weather first starts turning cold the fury little buggers start looking for a nice warm home. Some times that home is the top of an engine block overnight. I recall a thread on a Volvo forum telling of a nest built on top of the manifolds of a Volvo that had been sitting out for a week or two. The little mice had stuffed grasses and twigs and such in and around all of the moving parts on top of the block and it all had to be cleaned out. I've also heard of mice huddled up in farm machinery and older model car heaters during cold nights.

As to the issue of soy based insulation versus Petroleum based, there is some conflicting opinions. I found this thread regarding other makes of autos that report the same problem. MB, BMW, etc. It seems that squirrels and rats are also culprits in this caper.

One of the common denominators of this dilemma is not driving your car often enough. In my experience living in the country, just leaving your car out overnight is not long enough to start a problem with "Mickey's" cousins.

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/16618-wire-harness-made-out-soy-material-new-porsche-911s.html

Why do others hate or cars? Lexus, like Toyota, has become a joke. I'm sorry if that offends anyone but it's true. We're a punchline, like our parent company. "How many Toyota engineers does it take to stop a Camry?" "As many as it mows down". Toyota did this, not the public.

Paul. There is quite a bit of farm land around here. It gets quite cold in the winter and I know what you are saying about the little critters trying to find a warm spot. We had a claim a few years a go where a possoum chewed up all kinds of stuff under the hood of a Pontiac. Claim was over $4,000. I guess I am going to get some mouse traps for my gx... :) :lol:

Why do others hate or cars? Lexus, like Toyota, has become a joke. I'm sorry if that offends anyone but it's true. We're a punchline, like our parent company. "How many Toyota engineers does it take to stop a Camry?" "As many as it mows down". Toyota did this, not the public.

What is your deal? Everyone of you post so far is bashing Lexus. Do you even have a Lexus and why did you join LOC to say our cars are a joke.

Paul. There is quite a bit of farm land around here. It gets quite cold in the winter and I know what you are saying about the little critters trying to find a warm spot. We had a claim a few years a go where a possoum chewed up all kinds of stuff under the hood of a Pontiac. Claim was over $4,000. I guess I am going to get some mouse traps for my gx... :) :lol:

What is your deal? Everyone of you post so far is bashing Lexus. Do you even have a Lexus and why did you join LOC to say our cars are a joke.

Hmm.. same IP address as BWilliams perhaps a clue?

FLF is just a troll. But it's ok. I think it's funny and quite amusing.

rolleyes.gif It's like talking to Archie Bunker.

He keeps it up he will be banned just like Bwilliams too.

And smooth your right he's a troll for sure!

Don't think so CD, they are different? Just a TROLL...

You know me LEXIR, I never miss an opportunity to show off my ignorance, but how do you find someone's IP address?

(Is your Village missing it's idiot?)

moderators have a slightly different browser that shows us more information, like your Social Security numbers, alias and former addresses, you know, the usual stuff. tongue.gif