New Receiver Hitch For Gs350 And Is250

I just installed my new 1 1/4" receiver hitch from Curt Mfg. on our '08 GS350. It was released on 6/1/09 (model number 11372) and also fits the IS250. It was a fairly easy install. The rear mufflers have to be dropped down, the hitch raised into the position of the muffler hold down clamps, and the muffler clamps placed over the hitch and bolted back down with 6 bolts. The muffler heat shield did not have to be trimmed (for my GS350) as specified in the online instructions.

• 1 month later...

Having towed small trailers for years, I can't even begin to imagine putting a hitch on the IS250. I highly doubt you'd have a transmission left by the end of your first trip.

Really? Do you think the IS transmission is poorly made?

The U.S. specification IS250 is a fairly heavy car (3,400+ pounds) and has about the same power-to-weight ratio as the first Lexus LS I bought 19+ years ago and used to pull a utility trailer hundreds of times with no ill effects. That old 1990 LS400 is still doing fine with its current owner at over 275,000 miles. I've had a trailer hitch on almost every car I've owned since the 1960s and have never had a mechanical issue caused by towing a trailer.

Oddly, outside North America, the Toyota Motor Company thinks that the Lexus IS is completely suitable for towing.

Here is a screen image from the Lexus U.K. website that describes the towing capabilities of IS220d (Diesel) and IS250 (gasoline) cars sold in the U.K.:

There is nothing different about the IS sold in other countries that makes it more acceptable for towing.

A bonus of having a hitch is that it allows using a receiver mounted bike rack -- unlike with a car top bike rack, with a receiver bike rack there is no wind noise, little/no risk of damaging the car, easy for a short person to load a bike, it provides a stand for for working on bikes and you don't have to worry about forgetting that your bikes are on your car top and crunching them on an overhead structure.

post-2157-1249223799_thumb.jpg

Having towed small trailers for years, I can't even begin to imagine putting a hitch on the IS250. I highly doubt you'd have a transmission left by the end of your first trip.

The U.S. specification IS250 is a fairly heavy car (3,400+ pounds) and has about the same power-to-weight ratio as the first Lexus LS I bought 19+ years ago and used to pull a utility trailer hundreds of times with no ill effects. That old 1990 LS400 is still doing fine with its current owner at over 275,000 miles. I've had a trailer hitch on almost every car I've owned since the 1960s and have never had a mechanical issue caused by towing a trailer.

Oddly, outside North America, the Toyota Motor Company thinks that the Lexus IS is completely suitable for towing.

Here is a screen image from the Lexus U.K. website that describes the towing capabilities of IS220d (Diesel) and IS250 (gasoline) cars sold in the U.K.:

There is nothing different about the IS sold in other countries that makes it more acceptable for towing.

A bonus of having a hitch is that it allows using a receiver mounted bike rack -- unlike with a car top bike rack, with a receiver bike rack there is no wind noise, little/no risk of damaging the car, easy for a short person to load a bike, it provides a stand for for working on bikes and you don't have to worry about forgetting that your bikes are on your car top and crunching them on an overhead structure.

That looks amazing, and a little bit naught at the same time.

Figures that an entry level Lexus can out tow an Isuzu truck!

Ahhhh that's awesome!!! I could tow my 2 jet skis with my IS350!!! I've only been using the LX470!!

That is hilarious!!!!

Wow - Lexus car seats! Does my kid really need a special Lexus car seat?!

I'll bet those Lexus car seats are nice. How much do you like your kid?

Reminds me of the typical Southwest Airlines flight attendent safety speech: "If traveling with more than one child, pick the child you like best and put his oxygen mask on first."

• 1 month later...

do you have a picture of what the hitch looks like on your car?

I just installed my new 1 1/4" receiver hitch from Curt Mfg. on our '08 GS350. It was released on 6/1/09 (model number 11372) and also fits the IS250. It was a fairly easy install. The rear mufflers have to be dropped down, the hitch raised into the position of the muffler hold down clamps, and the muffler clamps placed over the hitch and bolted back down with 6 bolts. The muffler heat shield did not have to be trimmed (for my GS350) as specified in the online instructions.